Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

Help Design 360 Gallon SPS Reef

I am having a 360 gallon acrylic tank built by Scott at Aquatic Systems Design in KC, MO. He is going to start work on it in 1-2 weeks and I want to get everyones opinion on the plan thus far.

360 Gallon Acrylic (3/4") measuring 96L x 36W x 24H with 2 closed loops with one Oceans Motions 4 way and Sequence Reeflo Dart each for flow. Two returns, each with a penductor off of an Iwaki MD 70RLT.
Calfo Overflow across the back of the aquarium. That is the current plan.

This is going to be a 95% SPS tank with only a few LPS pieces. Is there anything that you would do differently or think needs to be changed?

Enough flow?

This is the million dollar question - Being an SPS reef, should I go BB or with a 2" sand bed? Concerned about scratches on acrylic and sand storms. I do not want to have to siphon detritus across a tank this large.

I know these types of questions are terrible to answer but I only want to have this system built once. I am notorious for doing one thing and then deciding I should have done another. Then doing it over

Thanks for any help!
Old 12/04/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Hi I from kcmo
Old 12/04/2007, 01:16 AM
Premium Member

I have a dart on a CL in a 75 and at first i had a sand storm- but it settled out and i adjusted the directions on the returns and I like the flow- I also like the look as do the fish and inverts- I have 2+ inches in the main and 3+ in the fuge. I think you're on the right track
I do however not use the mag on anything close to the sand bed as tiny particles can get in the inside mag and scratch away. I use a scraper once a week. It's your choice. I like it.
Old 12/04/2007, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

if you have acrylic I suggest you stay away from sand since you will scratch your tank. On flow you need to aquascape your rock then you can see where do you need more flow so you can add some directional flow by using powerhead. If you have to have substrate then go with crush coral . It's bigger so no sand storm and no scratch.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/04/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep them coming! ycnibrc - I like your signature! My golf swing right now isn't worth a Seaclone Skimmer!