Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

Halide Bulb Replacement

Bought a used fixture with 175K 10K SE bulbs that are driven by a magnetic balance. Not sure how old they are or what brand, but coloring on my SPS is poor. It's therefore undoubtedly time to get new bulbs but of course the difficult and never ending question of what to get?

I'd like to get better coloring and have decent growth and so was thinking 12k, 14k, or 15k. Don't want to blue either so want to stay away from 20k bulbs. Also, currently supplement with actinic VHO's but may not need to do so in the future.

What do you all suggest?

Steve

"The mystery of existence is too great that there should be only one road leading to an answer." - Marcus Aurelius
Old 12/17/2007, 08:42 AM
reefaholic

I like the Reeflux 12k, bluer but not radium blue. But I am going to be replacing them with XM20k because I want that look.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 12/17/2007, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

I just bought the XM 10K, and it is a crisp white. Not sure how much bluer the 12K is.

My real reason for the post is that there is a group buy on the bulbs right now in the members only area.

Limited time offer. Jacket not included. See details for more information.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:56 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

The reeflux 12k is more like a 20k i had one and it was really nice but if i had to do it again i would go with an XM10 or reeflux 10k.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:56 AM
reefaholic

I have had XM10, Iwasaki 15k, and the reeflux 12k on this tank. I had thought the XM looked white, but when I had the XM and Iwasaki side by side for comparison the XM looked yellow compared to the Iwasaki. The Iwasaki is not a blue bulb (even though it is listed as 15k), but is very bright. The Reeflux 12k by itself is white with a blue tinge. The blue is more noticeable when side by side with the other bulbs, not as much when by themselves.

I liked all 3 bulbs, but will be trying a 20k next - I can't resist messing with the color. When I had 6 T5s on the tank with no MH (instead of 4 now) I tried out a gazillion combos of bulbs, I guess that makes me a bulb junkie.

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 12/17/2007, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

I am running 400 reeflus 12 ks on the ends of my tank with a 10 k in the center...the reeflux were very blue when installed,but after 3 weeks or so of burn it, they whiten up quite a bit....I think many people try the 12ks, see the blue, and give up on them too quick.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:03 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

probably why i thought it was too blue? i mean i had it about a month b4 i gave the setup to Jas.... so who knows...
Old 12/18/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Steve, becareful with your bulb selection, you probably have an M57 probe start ballast, so you have to stay with American/chinese bulbs. Stay away from Japanese and German bulbs, they require pulse start ballast. If you know that you have an electronic ballast, disregard what I wrote, and use any bulb. Good luck.
here is a good link of what you can run with which ballast.
http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.c...al-halide-ansi
Old 12/18/2007, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Dave,

Thanks for the chart. That's great info! You are correct that I have an M57 ballast and so am running venture 10k bulbs that are probe start.

Hard part in bulb selection is finding someone close by who is running the bulbs you want so that you can see them before buying.

Would be great if everyone could list what kind of bulbs they are currently running. I would be willing to summarize in a table and provide back to the club.

All I would need is wattage, DE or SE, ballast, kelvin rating, location in ct or other (ie. city), tank size, and age of bulbs.

Would be great if we could put in on our site and have data owners update their info as it changed??

Steve

"The mystery of existence is too great that there should be only one road leading to an answer." - Marcus Aurelius
Old 12/18/2007, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

One other question. What's the difference between Reeflux and Coralvue? Looks like the same company, but perhaps not?

Steve

Old 12/18/2007, 02:16 PM
Enjoying every minute.

Quote:
Originally posted by shozbot
One other question. What's the difference between Reeflux and Coralvue? Looks like the same company, but perhaps not?

Steve
CoralVue makes the CoralVue line and also Reeflux line. Difference...IDK.

Steve you could always spend the 100 bucks and buy an electronic ballast and run any bulb you want. Look here http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp...S&Category=653
Those ballasts/bulbs were compared here http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm
Not bad for 100 bucks.
Old 12/18/2007, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Scott,

Spending my money for me! I thought that was the ex-wife's job?

I think it would be more than $100 since I'd need 5 ballasts. Two ballasts for my 75g and 3 for my 125g, but if you'd like to fund a research project I would accept a small stipend?

Steve

Old 12/18/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure about the no Japanese/German bulbs on and M-57. I just got a 175watt 15k Iwasaki. I am also considering some Hamilton bulbs. As far as I know, they are made to work with M57 ballasts, and the Iwasaki works great as far as I can tell.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Coralvue makes reeflux; I think they are the premium bulb from them...I was running some Coralvue 14 k's...actually whiter than the reeflux 12k's...but the growth has jumped since switching to the 12ks.