Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2002, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

does anyone have pics of 40 gal breeder tanks???

Please share your pic's I am needing spec's and ideas of where to purchase. Mr9iron and I went out this past weekend. Has anyone ever ordered online? If so where? We live in MO any suggestions of stores to search?
Old 01/07/2002, 10:33 AM
Mackerel

From the AGA catalog: 36 3/16L X 18 1/4W X 16 15/16H. 58 lbs dry, 458 lbs full. As I recall, these tanks have no center brace, meaning that they can be illuminated very effectively by a single MH lamp in a Spiderlight reflector mounted at 8" (referenced to the bottom of the reflector) off of the water. I use a taller version of this tank, the 65G, and like the 36 X 18 footprint very much.

I have seen them for sale at Petco. An independant AGA reseller will order the tank for you, that is how I got my 65G.
Old 01/07/2002, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

piercho is correct, they dont have a center brace. you might also want to check out the 50 gallon (36x18x18 vs. 36x18x16) because the extra 2" of height is nice if you plan on using a DSB. only problem with 50's is that the newer ones do indeed have center braces and the bottom is tempered so they cannot be drilled. i also thought i would throw in a picture of my 40BR mixed reef:

Old 01/07/2002, 03:22 PM
Did I do that?

Mr294, thats a very nice looking tank. I think its what mrs9iron is looking for. Would you please give us the specs on your tank.Ie lighting, sump, skimmer well you get the idea.
Old 01/07/2002, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

well lets see...
its an AGA standard 40BR (36x18x16) 36x18 is a great foot print for aquascaping and being only 16"s deep makes lighting very easy. lighting is 2x96w PC. the skimmer is a redsea Prizm (not a bad skimmer for the price but a 40 is the upper limits of its capabilities). circulation is provided by 3 maxijet MP600s (the zoomed seen in the picture is no longer there for obvious reasons ). i currently dont have a sump because 40BRs dont come "reef ready" and im really not comfortable using siphon boxes. if i had to do it over again i would get it drilled locally and get a custom corner overflow built by precision marine. DSB is about 4" of caribsea oolitic and LR is about 45-50#'s of fiji and marshall island. the SPS is doing fine in the upper reaches of the tank. it has colored up nicely and i have seen some definite growth over the past few months (granted most of them are lower light varities moniporas, seriatipora etc.) i was going to upgrade the lighting to either 4x36" VHOs or a mix of VHOs and a 150w HQI but those plans have been put on hold indefinitely. fish inhabitants are a firefish, blackcap gramma, and a bicolor blenny. any other questions just ask.
Old 01/07/2002, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

As for lighting, go with 250W MH and 2 actinic VHO. If money is an issue, like with me, go with 4 VHO. I have 3 36" actinic bulbs and 1 Aquasun bulb. Tank looks great and I have turned my dead rock into live in only about 6 months. Being in Hawaii itis illegal to take rock from the ocean, or order in online so I got dead pieces of rock, used water from the ocean and routinely added fresh macro-algaes and now have beautiful colored LR. I had a PC fixture with two 96W bulbs and prefer the VHO with out a question.
Old 01/07/2002, 07:41 PM
RC Mod

You may want the extra height of the 58 if you plan on using the deep sand bed, something to think about when choosing a shallow tank like the 40....
Old 10/13/2002, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Old 10/13/2002, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

I got my 40 gallon breeder at Petco.

Here's a link....http://timsreef.homestead.com/

It currently has 2 96 watt PCs, but I'm upgrading to 250 MH next week.