Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society (SCMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2007, 06:55 PM
Boomer gave me this

SCMAS Frag swap October 20th 2007

We have been working hard to get everything organized for this event. The official date is October 20th 2007. That's a Saturday and we'll start selling at 9 a.m.
The event is being held at Eric Drews dads house.
The address is:

7295 Killearn Way
Black Forest, CO 80908

Its just north of Woodmen rd. off of Volmer rd.
Should be a great location, it's not so far for the Denver and Castle Rock people and not too far for most of C/S to get to.

We will be setting up a purpose built frag tank with lights for the event.
Availability will be first come first serve.
I feel we will have enough room in the 4'x8' tank for everybody as long as you bring frags and not a massive colony. I estimate room for 1000 frag's.
We plan to have the tank setup and available for sellers on Friday the 19th of October to setup their stuff.

I'll keep posting more info right here as soon as I can.

So far we have Randy from Reef Nutrition coming out to sponsor us, He'll be giving a presentation on his products for everyone interested as well.

We have Scott from Exotic Tropicals selling frags.
Dave & Will from Premier Fish & Reef in Denver bringing frags.

We are working on others from the area, and some vendors from California hopefully as well.

We'll have a killer raffle I am sure. You won't want to miss this, admission is FREE and if you want to sell as an individual you get a spot in the frag tank for FREE!
You can't beat that deal, no fee's of any sort.

I encourage LFS's and anyone else interested in sponsorship, a table to sell or a raffle donation in your business' name to send me a PM so we can get you included in this. We'll have plenty of room for you!
Old 08/21/2007, 10:19 PM
Boomer gave me this

Update: Kris Wray from www.reefermadness.us will be here for our swap.
He promised to bring some very nice corals to sell, he will give a talk of some sort if we want also.
Give me some ideas on what he could discuss with us.
I'd love to hear about how the whole RM operation works, from the collecting station to running a large scale frag farming operation and maybe some of his travel stories.

Give me some ideas I can talk to him about discussing.

Chris
Old 08/21/2007, 10:23 PM
is sooing spill chekur

I would be interested in hearing about whether he finds toxins fragged soft corals very toxic. That's not a whole talk though.

Check out my website for info on fragging mushrooms, and the benefits of Vitamin C on soft corals!
Old 08/22/2007, 08:44 AM
Boomer gave me this

That would be a cool subject, maybe he could simply tell us about the operation as a whole then a Q&A session where we can discuss anything.
He is really good at ID'ing corals so if you have a coral you haven't been able to figure out, just bring a good picture and maybe he'll figure it out for you.
Old 08/22/2007, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

I would love to hear about running a large scale frag farm.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 08/24/2007, 05:18 PM
Boomer gave me this

Good idea, basically lets have him discuss the whole operation and frag making and then do a big Q & A session.

heres a picture from the frag swap last weekend, this was the line before and just a tiny fraction of the people there. I made it in the photo (see arrow)
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08/30/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation

I'm thinking it might be wise to reschedule this, if its possible.
Since Colorado just announced today that their frag swap is register with fragswapper, there will now be 3 frag swaps in Colorado within a 6 week span. With DARC holding theirs on Sept 22 and Colorado now holding their fall swap on Nov 3, I'm not thinking we are going to get ANY participants from up North.

This is exactly why I origionally suggested that the board reach out to the other two boards and set up some rotation. WHile I am fully aware that our By-laws specifically states that our board may not colaborate with the other boards, to my knowledge, they do not prohibit our borad from communicating with the other boards to ensure that WE don not get screwed. That doesn't mean that each one has to be run to the likings of the other groups, just that we make sure that nobody is getting screwed by anouncing a swap and having the other groups immediately organizse their own swaps hemming in the origional swap and reducing participation all around. Holding a frag Colorado every 4 months, one held by each group, would be a great rotation. But three swaps in 6 weeks only means that EVERY group is going to loose out on potential participants, to the detriment of all groups. Even better is that with each group holding 2 swaps each, each year, there would be a swap every other month which IS too often.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 08/30/2007, 12:38 PM
SCMAS Member

Well this is not possible as we have sponsors and speakers that have made arrangements to be here at this time. We as a board did contact the other two clubs about our swap, but we can't just quit what we are doing because of others plans. This swap will be the premier swap in Colorado with the catered food, the large sponsors, and the excellent speakers. We are flying people in from California, and Reef Nutrition is sponsoring the event by paying for the food and doing a presentation.

This is not your ordinary frag swap where we get a bunch of us together and have a hundred or so frags. We are going to have 3-4 large frag systems and LFS's from around the region bringing in large quantities of frags.

This is something we have been spending money on and planning for months now, I think it is a little late to be changing our way of thinking on this.

As long as I have been a reefer in Colorado, I have never been to a frag swap put on by a local club that didn't take a percentage of the profits of frags sold. We are not going to be taking any percentage. Instead we hope to recoup some of our money by having awesome raffle items that everyone will be interested in a having a chance to win.

I do think that we will have a very good turn out, and if things go even half as good as expected, this will become an annual event and we will have bigger and bigger turn outs.
Old 08/30/2007, 08:18 PM
Boomer gave me this

Todd said it all, plane tickets have been purchased the date has been adjusted a couple times and needs to be set now.
I don't mean to sound boastful but this is not your average basement frag swap, this will be the best one in Colorado to hit this year for sure, if the northern guys don't come than they will be missing out on rare frags from California! I was there 2 weeks ago and I can tell you those guys have stuff I have never seen in Colorado before unless you order online.

Like Todd said, free entrance and no fee's for selling is also a major plus. You could make several hundred dollars and not have to give $100 back to the club. Why would you want to sell at any other venue
Chris
Old 09/03/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

My wife & I will be making the trip down for this. We will be skipping the swap up here.
Old 09/03/2007, 09:26 AM
Boomer gave me this

Great glad to have you!
BTW this weekend we signed up Key's Island to sell frags, he said he'll try to get some of the rare SPS stuff as well as a variety of zoos, LPS and softies.
This means one more great raffle item as well.
We are going to do the raffle hourly style so if you buy frags and want to get home you can get in on a raffle without having to wait all day.

Chris
Old 09/17/2007, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Don't worry too much about the frag swaps up here, sounds like yours will be the one to attend.

I plan on coming down from Denver.
Old 09/18/2007, 01:44 PM
Boomer gave me this

Cool, we'll be glad to see you!
We are not trying to compete with RMRC here, I have no ill feelings towards them whatsoever, I hope we can all have fun at our swaps and join each other at both events.
Chris

BTW we are distributing flyers with a map and some more info to the LFS's in C/S and we are printing up more (thanks to a generous donation from Premier Fish & Reef, they are sponsoring the printing of a bunch more flyer) to be distributed at our sponsor stores in Denver.

Look for them in Denver in less than 2 weeks.

Chris
Old 09/24/2007, 06:49 PM
Boomer gave me this

Just talked to Jake Adams, he will be for sure doing a presentation for us.
Kris wray from Reefermadness will be doing a frag workshop of sorts.
He's bringing some nice large colonies, fragging them and then selling them. He'll be showing us his technique and his frags are going to be priced very low to move, so be sure to get to the swap early and get in on the good stuff.

Walt Smith is Kris' uncle, Kris will be showing pictures and explaining how WSI operates in Fiji, it should be a very entertaining show!

Chris
Old 10/17/2007, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

I will be making the venture down too. Hope to meet some fellow Colorado reefers there.
Old 10/17/2007, 01:02 AM
Live like you mean it...

It will be so sweet to have people from all over the state at the swap. Thornton, Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo. It just keeps getting better.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:50 PM
Boomer gave me this

A couple guys are coming out from California too Cliff
Old 10/18/2007, 12:34 PM
RMRC President

Anyone want to carpool?

I am coming from Thornton.
Old 10/18/2007, 07:24 PM
Boomer gave me this

I just got off the phone with Kris from Reefermadness.
He packed up 3 large hand picked acropora colonies for our raffle!
I know they will be very nice, I will be pumping some money into the raffle!!!!
Old 10/18/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

How many people are you expecting for this?
Old 10/18/2007, 08:01 PM
Boomer gave me this

100+
Old 10/19/2007, 01:45 AM
DARC Board Member

Is the close time for the swap 3:00 as I've seen mentioned on various posts? Will you be holding raffles throughout the event or at the end? Those of us that are driving down are trying to plan some car pooling.... inquiring minds want to know.

I looked, but couldn't find a schedule of events.

-Rob
Old 10/19/2007, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

To add to Rob's question, you will actually begin selling at 9:00am? I want to make sure I don't miss out on any buying opportunities!

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 10/19/2007, 11:09 AM
Live like you mean it...

If you don't get a quick response here, maybe try the thread over at thescmas.com
Old 10/19/2007, 11:46 AM
DIY Guru

Here's a schedule per Chris (Reefkoi)

9:00 Doors Open (selling begins)
9:30 Fragging Demo in the garage my Reefermadness
11:00 Lunch arrives from La Casita
11:30 Reef Nutrition presentation downstairs in the theatre room
12:30 Jake Adams presentation downstairs in the threatre room

3 Raffles per session (perhaps more)

Raffle session 10:30
Raffle session 11:25
Raffle session 12:25

We are looking to start breaking everything down around 3:00

At the request of our host, please keep all food items in the garage.

Member of the 1000 watt bulb club