Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/08/2007, 06:43 PM
Nemo's paying the bills

Healthy Picassos?

What does it take to get a healthy pair of Picassos.I have baught 2 pairs in the last 4 months.The first pair....Looked great in the ORA bag...took em home and put them in quar. tank.2 days later they were loaded with Amyloodium.Treated with Copper Power..day 7 dead......Pair 2 looked great in the ORA bag, took em home.Day 3 in quar. notice some fin rot.Treat with M2.Day 7 listless.5 min Fresh water dip.Day 9 one dies day 10 second dies.It is not my quar tank eather.I keep a perq in there to keep it cycled.No problems with her.Can any one help. I am still looking for a healthy pair.
Old 04/08/2007, 07:07 PM
clownfish fan

sorry for your losses i have neve heard that they are prone to dying though
Old 04/09/2007, 05:40 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm....that is a tough one....what type of filtration are you using and what are the water parameters?
Old 04/09/2007, 07:45 AM
President emeritus, ORCA

I have never seen a "sick" fish from ORA. Yes, some look starved(due to the two day no feed before shipping), some have bent gill plates, and some have some ugly mugs...but never heard of velvet coming from them. It would have had to be picked up through another fish in the LFS or another fish in the QT.

When you say looked great in the ORA bag, what do you mean? Are you getting directly from ORA? I have lost one ORA fish, but never found the body, so I'm assuming either jumped from bullying of tankmate or eaten by my scavengers. All my other picassos, one of which has bent gill plates, are alive and kicking...call ORA if you have a problem with diseased fish from them and ask them what's up.
Old 04/09/2007, 10:02 AM
Rare Clownfish Freak

This just doesn't add up...

Are the fish still in the bag that ORA shipped them in or did your LFS transfer them to another bag?

Are you using a real QT tank, i.e. bare tank with new saltwater that has never ever had anything else in it, that was throughly cleaned with bleach and left to dry between QT sessions?