Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/22/2007, 07:28 PM
Dance 4 Life

Best of lucks to you in this enterprise.
Old 05/22/2007, 09:06 PM
ummmmmm yeah

So do you sell puppies or did I miss it?
Old 05/22/2007, 09:08 PM
ummmmmm yeah

Oh and congrats on the buying the LFS. Selfemployment is awesome.
Old 05/22/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Hats off to you! Congratulations.
Old 05/22/2007, 11:46 PM
clams are your friends.

yes,they sell puppies, but only frozen feeder puppies.
Old 05/22/2007, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
yes,they sell puppies, but only frozen feeder puppies.
That's not funny....................
Old 05/23/2007, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the kind wishes.

Gmax- PM me if you want. I'd love to pick your brain.

As for puppies and parrots, this is a reef forum...

The cool thing is I still have a day job. I get to come in and play at night!!! My wife is actually running the store. If you can believe this, after 6 days of ownership, I have yet to bring home any 'free' stuff. I'm sure it is only a matter of time

So far the business looks good. We are EXTREMELY busy. We have a big reptile department and people come in every week to by feeders (mice/crickets). Many of those also have sw and fw tanks. So, I get a ton of traffic. I just averaged the last 5 days and we are getting 85 transactions a day.... Thats not a misprint.

-Chip
Old 05/23/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starmanres
Cbeitel,

I'm going to be in Dallas at the end of the month on business, I will look you up and make a purchase... At full retail!

Gotta support the good guys!

Robert
I can't solicite business. I'll break the user agreement............

But if you come by late in the evening we can talk reefs! I go by after my 'real' job. Usually well after 6pm. We close at 9pm.

-Chip
Old 05/23/2007, 12:47 AM
TRC Leader

Hey Chip, congrats on your acquisition. Does your store have DFWMAS brochures or do you need some?

Your tank at home is going to be so impressive now.
Old 05/23/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Hey Chip, congrats on your acquisition. Does your store have DFWMAS brochures or do you need some?

Your tank at home is going to be so impressive now.
Yes, we have them. I hope I get some time to mess with my tank at home. Right now, its eat, sleep, work!

Maybe I could find a local contractor to help polish my floors, you know any!! LOL

-Chip
Old 05/23/2007, 01:05 AM
TRC Leader

I know a guy.
Old 05/23/2007, 05:55 AM
Nano Reefer

http://www.stoppuppymills.org/
http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/

Last edited by InLimbo87; 05/23/2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05/23/2007, 07:44 AM
King of the Apes

Quote:
Originally posted by cbeitel
Yes, we have them. I hope I get some time to mess with my tank at home. Right now, its eat, sleep, work!

Maybe I could find a local contractor to help polish my floors, you know any!! LOL

The LFS manager here just moved his home tank to the store, and made it their main reef display (nothing for slae). This way he didnt have to work on two tanks at once!

You may want to consider that idea, this way you can go to work, and still enjoy your tank, plus it serves as a great marketing ploy for new customers!
Old 05/23/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

I respect what you are trying to do, but this is a reef forum. If you wish to discuss matters such as these, I am sure there are forums on the web which are geared towards these topics.

Cbeitel: Great looking store! Good luck, and I am sure you will have lots of "customer said" stories for us.

Old 05/23/2007, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

Congrats

Congratulations!! People always say if your career ends up being what you love, it doesn't seem like a job. If you get a chance to take notes, my area is in desperate need of a saltwater store, and my wife needs a job.
Old 05/23/2007, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

I wish you only luck
Old 05/23/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Re: So... I bought a LFS

Quote:
Originally posted by cbeitel
Who else has done something like this? My hobby has become my work as well!!!!

Welcome to the club Good luck on the new venture; lots of long nights coming your way.

Also two advices….. First your new business can be a part of your hobby but your perspective of the hobby will change; business first ....hobby second. Second, its good to try but you can’t make every customer happy so set your limit.

Last edited by raskal311; 05/23/2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05/23/2007, 09:46 AM
Nano Reefer

So, because we care about reefs and fish, we should suddenly turn our heads when something very morally wrong is being done to other pets? Sorry, but the guy started a thread about buying this pet store, and it looks as though he sells dogs. Just wanting to see if he's continuing this awful practice, or doing what is right and changing this...

So sorry for expecting reef caretakers to care about any other animal.
Old 05/23/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

This isn't Puppy Central... I believe many of us do have other animals, and while some of us may appreciate your views, again, this is a forum for and about marine aquaria. Send him a PM or post your links in The Aquarium.

Seahorse: (2) h. Reidi; Highfin Banded Goby; Purple Firefish

Mantis: Peacock Mantis (Milton)

Last edited by Kanicky; 05/23/2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05/23/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Congrats! I have bought online a few times but nothing beats going and picking out yourself. I don't mind paying more as long as the prices are reasonable. I have been to a few places that were out of their minds price wise. For example, 4.99 for a mexican turbo. Yeah I double checked, that was for 1.
Old 05/23/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

PETA style protests should be taken to streets where we can properly ignore them totally.
Old 05/23/2007, 10:16 AM
Nano Reefer

My post was not a "peta style" protest. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of peta, and never will be. They are an awful organization that uses extremely skewed facts to sway their points. The links I've posted merely state the facts about puppy mills, and why pet stores are wrong in selling dogs.

Yes this isn't "puppy central", and I'm really glad you guys made that clear to me. Guess its beyond your thinking to have any compassion/caring for any other animal besides the one in your fish tanks (which it seems as though many here don't care about those either).

W/e exploit as many animals as you want for the almighty buck, enjoy the lfs. I'm sure karma will get your for it, though...
Old 05/23/2007, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

I repeat PETA style protest have no place here. Your whole appeal is based upon emotion and is inappropriate on his thread or even in this forum.
Old 05/23/2007, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InLimbo87
My post was not a "peta style" protest. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of peta, and never will be. They are an awful organization that uses extremely skewed facts to sway their points. The links I've posted merely state the facts about puppy mills, and why pet stores are wrong in selling dogs.

Yes this isn't "puppy central", and I'm really glad you guys made that clear to me. Guess its beyond your thinking to have any compassion/caring for any other animal besides the one in your fish tanks (which it seems as though many here don't care about those either).

W/e exploit as many animals as you want for the almighty buck, enjoy the lfs. I'm sure karma will get your for it, though...
Should we discuss world hunger..............anybody?...............O.k. guess not, so, good luck on your store!
Old 05/23/2007, 10:53 AM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

Sorry, DP
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.

Last edited by Tang Salad; 05/23/2007 at 11:04 AM.