Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Pan World Pumps, How Quiet?

I've searched through a lot of threads and I'm getting mixed reviews, so I thought I'd ask again. I'm currently looking the at 200 model and wanted to know how noisy they were as this tank is in the living room.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Have the 200ps on my 210 and can't even hear it running. The only sound I hear is from the overflows even with my cabinet open. It's been running on my tank for 3 years and never a problem. I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing another Pan-World product.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Did you remove the fan shroud, use any rubber insulation, etc.?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

i have the 50px.....and its close to the wall....there is a strong hum to it...i also did the fan mod on it which helped....

so maybe if it wasnt near the wall then it might be more quiet....but the resonating echo off the wall is annoying for me.....im going with a eheim 1262 in sump...
Old 01/07/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

i have the pc 50 x or something like that.. it's not dead silent.. i can still hear it but it's nothing that i cant fall asleep to.. the overflow is like 4x louder than the pump..

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/07/2008, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Way too loud for a living room. I would put it this way, if you are sensitive enough to the noise a pump can make, this pump will make too much. I had a 100PX-X which was going to go in my living room. Right when I fired it up I knew it was not going to work. I went to the Velocity series instead and this pump you really can't hear running. It will add heat to your water though.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:58 AM
Pingy Pingy!

I have a 40PX, 50PX-X, 100PX, and 100PX-X. The last 3 are within 2 feet of each other. I can barely hear any of them run with just the faintest hum and spinning of the fan.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Ok... what is the fan mod??? I have a 50PX-X and that sucker is LOUD. The pump is in my office in the front of the house. If the office door is open I can hear it in my living room while I'm watching TV.

I say find another pump....
Old 01/08/2008, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Raul-7, The pump is sitting on an old mouse pad and is "hard piped" all the way. There is a very faint hum to it plumbed this way but it is only noticed if I am working right next to it. Not sure why others have a noise problem???
Old 01/08/2008, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

there is a thread in the DIY section of reefcentral to mod the pump for less noice. A ton of people say these pumps are loud and wanting a solution to this so I'm guessing they are definitely not silent. What are you planning to use this pump for = size of tank, return pump?, closed loop?, etc. Maybe we can give you other alternatives
Old 01/08/2008, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

here is a link to the pan world mod to help make them more quiet

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=828812
Old 01/08/2008, 06:45 PM
Pingy Pingy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Riderxusa
Raul-7, The pump is sitting on an old mouse pad and is "hard piped" all the way. There is a very faint hum to it plumbed this way but it is only noticed if I am working right next to it. Not sure why others have a noise problem???
Same with me. They all sit on mousepads, are lined up perfect with the sump, and all have spaflex connected. I really only hear them if the room is perfectly silent (skimmer off, powerheads off, sump stopped, etc) and I'm right next to them.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I got 3 pumps 200 PS operating on my system. They have soft start and this helps a lot with stress on plumbing part after power outage.

My opinion: awesome pump and very quiet. They make as much noise as a turbelle pump. This is the best idea you can get. I think the main noise comes from the pump fan, which means it can be tolerated in a living room.

They operate for 3 years now and they never failed. I just opened up a unit for cleaning 2 weeks ago and found construction well though. The only other pump I used before was Mag drive 24. Like going from Hyundai to Nissan GT-R
Old 01/08/2008, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

agreed hehe, the pan world is a much better pump then the mag. I want a GT-R