Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/11/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Buying coral online?

I am just getting my 29gal established in a new city, and so far I haven't been able to find a LFS that I'm really thrilled with. I'm fairly new to the hobby, and sometimes finding an educated person at a LFS who won't try to upsell me something difficult to keep is tough. A friend recommended that I check out Liveaquaria.com and start out buying a softie pack or a nano pack, but I'm super apprehensive buying coral and having it shipped directly to my house. Does anyone have some positive feedback on the subject so I can feel better about giving this method a whirl?
Old 08/11/2007, 07:02 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Ive ordered from liveaquaria.com plenty of times. Ive also ordered things from other online sites as well as from other reefers. Ive had a lot of coral and fish shipped and havent lost anything yet.
Old 08/11/2007, 07:05 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

LA is a great place to buy from. Excellent customer service and a great guarantee. Prices are a tad high, but sale/package stuff can be a good deal.

BTW, great occupation...dentist AND chemical engineer. How did that come about?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/11/2007, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

LA has been spot on for me. I have always been impressed with their packaging and livestock. I ordered from them two weeks ago when it was scorching in the midwest. Everything arrived perfect. I've had great luck with many other online vendors as well. I was a bit reluctant but have found a few favorites that I trust.
Old 08/11/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

I love thier service, but they use Fedex and I have always had problems with them! My first order I placed for a hole bunch of equipment and when I recieved it 2 weeks late the box was smashed and almost 10 of the 30 pieces I bought where missing???? If it wasn't for the great service from LA I probabaly would not have bought again. They sent the parts next day air! .....Although I just placed an order for some powerheads and a 160 gallon mix of reef crystals and had a problem with Fedex's shipping again. The first box I recieved the next day!!! But the reef crystals bucket toook almost a week and a half. Luckily they don't use fedex for the corals!!!

Alex

P.S. My uncle is a manager at Fedex in Texas.
Old 08/11/2007, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

I too have had good luck with LA, I also have had good luck from
saltwaterfish.com.
Old 08/11/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

Great comments from everyone; I think I'll go ahead and give it a whirl with some easily cared-for softies and go from there!

Quote:
BTW, great occupation...dentist AND chemical engineer. How did that come about?
I actually graduated undergrad as a chemical engineer with the intention of getting into the biomedical engineering field, so I took a lot of biology and biochemistry electives. During my senior year, after it was too late to switch, I realized that I hated the jobs in the engineering field (I know, it took me long enough to realize that). Dad's a dentist... Mom's a hygienist... It was a natural fit to apply to dental school and the rest is history.

Once I get situated and buy a practice, it's my ultimate goal to put a huge 300+gal reef in my office (can you say tax write-off?).
Old 08/11/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Does the hot weather concern you on shipping?