Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods

View Poll Results: How long have you kept your octopus alive?
1 week or less 6 15.00%
1 month 3 7.50%
2 - 3 months 7 17.50%
4- 6 months 9 22.50%
7- 12 months 9 22.50%
Over a year 7 17.50%
over 2 years 6 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03/19/2006, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

How long have you kept your octopus alive?

I have read many threads on how hard it is to keep your octopus alive. I know the difficulties first hand. Through losses I have had.
I thought it might help to see what kind of luck or skill members of R.C. have actually had. It may give all of us some idea of what or how we are doing. Thanks for any participation you give.
Old 03/29/2006, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Longest Ive had was a year and 2 months.

My cuttlefish (bandensis) are going on 9 months now!!
Old 03/29/2006, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

That is awesome Paradox it is really an accomplishment from all I have been reading. My book just came in on Cephalopods. Cuttlefish look pretty cool. I have never seen them in LPS around here. For me to even make an attempt in housing one I would have to do mail order for my purchase.
Old 04/07/2006, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Is it true that the tank glass for cuttlefish should be reflective on the inside so that they don't get startled and ram the glass?
Old 04/09/2006, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alancolinet
Is it true that the tank glass for cuttlefish should be reflective on the inside so that they don't get startled and ram the glass?
I am not sure about cuttles. But I would bet others here would know.
Old 04/16/2006, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Question

03/19/2006 09:47 AM I posted this poll and now it is 04/16/2006 I am truly amazed at the lack of participation on this thread. Out of 277 reads there were 12 people who voted or I should say 10 as I voted twice for both of my attempts. Possibly another did as I.
It has been looked at 277 times. Come on fellow Cephalopods owners cast your votes and so you owners of Cephalopods whom do not own an octopus. I was in no way trying cut you out I would enjoy seeing a similar poll on others in the Cephalopods family. This maybe was a thread from long ago I couldn’t find a poll on it though. Is it possible out of all who visit there were only 11 octopus owners?
Many thanks to you that did vote
Old 04/17/2006, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

I cant vote for my Cuttle cuz this is an Octopus poll
Old 04/17/2006, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

lol thats right Mizu .
But how long have you had your cuttle? How many times have you had them? They look very awesome from the pictures I have seen. But we both know. Pictures are not worth a thousand words when it comes to the Cephalopod family.
Old 04/18/2006, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

eh I had Megas a bimac Octopus for a little over 5 months then an Ammonia spike seemed to kill. Have no idea where the Ammonia came from and Zim my Cuttlefish is now coming up on a year old. My cuttle is fat and lazy
he wont eat fish. to lazy to catch them I guess and is a big fan of playing with hermit crabs. He will watch them crawl across the tank then go over grab them and bring them back and watch them crawl across the tanks again.
He is also trying to hunt my cat which is very amusing to watch

so 2 cephs
one octo that i kept for about half a year and one Cuttle that is still kicking.
pics of Zim
http://www.tonmo.com/gallery/display...472&fullsize=1
http://www.tonmo.com/gallery/display...467&fullsize=1

pic of megas
[IMG]http://www.tonmo.com/gallery/displayimage.php?
pid=462&fullsize=1[/IMG]
http://www.tonmo.com/gallery/display...464&fullsize=1
Old 04/18/2006, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Very cool pictures Mizu, thanks for showing me them. Is Zim in the 75 gallon tank. So do you find cuttles easier to deal with?
Old 04/19/2006, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Zim is sitting in my 75 while the 150 cycles up (been about 6 weeks now and its almost done) Cuttles are .... different
they are not as interactive as an Octo but you get to see them all the time.
they eat the same stuff.
they need the same kind of care and water.
so eh.
I liked the Octo more. (perhaps cuz it was my first ceph and maybe because it actually tired to eat me)
Old 04/29/2006, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Even in the wild octos do not have a long life span, certain species only living to be nine months. In my personal opinion octos are no harder to keep then perhaps an angel or Bfly. I believe many die is because hobbyists do not know how old the specimen is that they obtain. Meaning instead of the octos dying from bad water quality after 8 months, perhaps it is dying do to old age.
Old 04/30/2006, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

I would agree with you in part bob saget.
I do feel we get older specimens. But I would say also some come to an earlier demise through lack of knowledge. I had always kept my tanks salinity at 1.023 which was what I had read earlier to be the best accepted salinity levels. I do not know for sure if that was what ended my first cephalopod’s
life with in a week but have a feeling it took part in its death.
Here are a few excepts taken from a great article by
Colin Dunlop
Which can be found at
http://www.tonmo.com/cephcare/keepin...ngcephs.php.ow

Below are a couple sections from the article.
Quote:
Water Parameters and Quality
Salinity is the other water quality parameter that must be controlled carefully. It is of paramount importance that the octopus aquarium has full strength seawater. Aim for 1.026 at all times, a lower salinity will kill them.
An octopus produces approximately three times more ammonia than a fish of a similar mass; partly due to it’s having three hearts and therefore three times the oxygen requirement of fish. As a result oxygen levels should always be kept as high as possible
Lifespan
If ever there was a drawback to keeping cephalopods; it is this: the majority have a natural lifespan of somewhere between six months and two years. Some deep sea or coldwater species like Bathypolypus arcticus have been known to live for six years. It is your decision whether or not it all seems worth it.
Old 12/25/2006, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

my last octo lived for about 10-11months
Old 12/28/2006, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 05Xrunner
my last octo lived for about 10-11months
Not bad at all in the keeping of an octopus and
welcome back to the world of saltwater
Old 01/05/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

27 months, 10 days for a Giant Pacific octopus.

Jay
Old 01/05/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHemdal
27 months, 10 days for a Giant Pacific octopus.

Jay
Awesome Jay I only wish I had more time with mine. Some day I will make another go at it. I think the worse part is by time they come to us they are already old enough where they dont have much time left.
Old 03/09/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

I opted to get a cuttle this time over an octo and I am disappointed. It was really cool to watch him eat the first time, but after than he really lost my interest. The thing is so boring, doesnt do much, I like octos much better.