Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods

Old 12/23/2006, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Dwarf Octopus ??

Does anyone know of any dwarf Octopus or small species around the size of the blue ring or a little bigger (no I do not want a blue ring.)

Thanks Craig
Old 12/27/2006, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

There are dozens of dwarfs and pygmies, but only a few that make it into the aquarium trade (intentionally). The most common is the large egged O. mercatorus from Florida. Usually this is called O. joubini which is a different, small egged species. O. bocki from the Indo-Pacific occasionally shows up. My favorite is O. wolfi, a short-armed pygmy that very much reminds me of blue-rings, but without the TTX. If you have access to southern California waters, you might also find O. micropyrus, one of the smallest of all octopuses. I currently have one and it amzes me how small it is.

Roy
Old 12/27/2006, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, could you tell me more about the O. wolfi that would be great.

Thanks
Old 12/29/2006, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

O wolfi is a true pygmy that is found in the central and western Pacific. We collect them in French Polynesia. They have short arms, are typically a mottled red or brown, but do a great unilateral display. The species is sexually dimorphic with males having unusual fringed suckers near the tips of its arms (no idea how they use them). Mating occurs by the male mounting the female just as in blue-rings.

Roy
Old 12/29/2006, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Majorpayne,

Keep in mind that Roy collects these as a scientist. The chances of you finding one of that species--or even any octopus that's been identified to the species--from a fish store or distributor is pretty much nil.

Dan
Old 01/24/2007, 11:04 AM
Geek

I am very new to this forum but happened on this thread to learn more. I found a website selling a "dwarf octopus" that I think is rom the carribean for $35.. i was hoping to learn more about it but don't want to put the site because im not advertising it.

Is this the kind of thing that could be explored bya hobbyist or avoided? I think the guy lives down there and has a permit to collect so he occasionally finds such things
Old 01/24/2007, 11:11 AM
What next???

Check out:
http://sealifeflorida.com/catalog/index.php
Old 01/24/2007, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

These are O. mercatoris. The females are just beginning to breed this time of year. There are quite a few on the market and they are quite large - mantle length of 3-4 cm. These are nocturnal, highly secretive octopus and they will only live another couple of months, but on the plus side, they have big eggs that hatch directly into juveniles. We have reared them quite successfully. All you need is a supply of small, live prey such as amphipods. They are very cannibalistic, so you need to isolate them. Otherwise you will end up with one per container.

This is a good, reputable supplier who knows his business.

Roy
Old 01/24/2007, 07:29 PM
Geek

that was actually the website i found it on. I got some ricordea that are awesome from the guy and am hoping to get a mated pair of jawfish from him.

It sounds like that particular species would be awesome to have a species tank dedicated too but boooooo hiss on nocturnal cryptic animals lol gotta love em but man their schedule is inconvenient
Old 01/25/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Some TONMO members have reported good luck using red lights to observe nocturnal octos--the see better in the shorter wavelengths so they think its dark. If you're interested in the species but are worried about not seeing it, that's one thing you might try.
Old 01/25/2007, 10:53 PM
What next???

Yes definately red moon lights and not the blue or the clear moon lights....plus it won't affect your eyes too.
Old 03/15/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Great info. Thanks. I was against the pygmy idea for the fact that they hardly come out but am going to try and rig some red lights. Wish me luck.