Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/22/2007, 09:26 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Pergo type floor / big tank

I am getting ready to set up a 220, and will also be changing the floor in the room. Currently is carpeted and we will be replacing it with pergo type flooring. The floor is a concrete slab.

I am wondering if it is okay to place a large, 220 gallo, reef tank on top of this flooring. Thinking it may crack it.

Would it be better to put the 220 on the bare concrete and just tile around it?
Old 12/22/2007, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

You should do a nice Travertine pad for it. Tile underneath and about 3 feet out in front and sides. Then your pergo.
Then you never worry about the spills.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

I have installed a lot of this type flooring over the years and could not imagine it would crack even under those kind of loads. It has a solid wood or composite core. I would be a little more concerned about spills making their way into the flooring but I probably shouldn't talk in that I have my tank sitting on sand in place hardwood.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

The only thing I would worry about with not finishing the floor is if you ever move then you have to explain an unfinished floor. As for the weight on laminate flooring Im not really sure how that would stand up. You could always call the company to get their opinion.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bradleyj
You should do a nice Travertine pad for it. Tile underneath and about 3 feet out in front and sides. Then your pergo.
Then you never worry about the spills.
This is the way to go if your not planning on moving soon.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:34 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

I own the home, and with the housing market and such, I doubt I will be moving anytime soon!

Thats a good idea, I'll look in to it.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:35 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

What do you do where the pergo and the travertine meet? Will they go together, or do you need some sort of a strip of trim or something?
Old 12/22/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Yes they make a matching finish trim strip for different situation.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:59 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Thanks. Any good online shops I can get it all from?
Old 12/22/2007, 11:04 AM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
What do you do where the pergo and the travertine meet? Will they go together, or do you need some sort of a strip of trim or something?
My entire house is tile & Pergo. There's 2 ways to go where the two meet. In the doorway of all of the bedrooms, the previous owner filled in the crack with some sort of black stuff. It's kind of like grout, but it almost has a spongy consistency to it. In our living room, we used the moldings that you can get at Lowes or HD that's made by Pergo. With that you leave about a 1"-1 1/2" gap between the tile & Prego. Then you lay down a metal track that gets screwed into the concrete slab, and the molding snaps into it. The molding is T shaped, so it covers the edge of the tile and the edge of the Pergo.

Hope this helps. FWIW, my tank is just sitting on the Pergo, no problems in terms of weight/ cracking. Water damage may be another story, but the nice thing about Pergo is that you could easily pull up the section that's under the tank, and replace it if you need to if/ when you move. Just make sure to buy 3 or 4 extra boxes, just in case they stop making the style that you go with.

Old 12/22/2007, 11:53 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

phenom5, if you can post some pics of the floor, that would be cool!
Old 12/22/2007, 11:59 AM
This Space for Rent

Quote:
phenom5, if you can post some pics of the floor, that would be cool!
What part? Where the tile & Pergo meet?
Old 12/22/2007, 12:05 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally posted by phenom5
What part? Where the tile & Pergo meet?

Yes please.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

There is a metal edging strip called Schluter that is 3/16ths of an inch that goes between your tile/stone and your pergo floor. Its a perfect transition for these two floors. Not only does it protect your tile/stone from chipping, but is also a very good transition between the two. It comes in all different sizes and colors . I use it on all of my tile installations. I'll take a picture of mine and post it.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

I have been a hardwood flooring contractor for 23 years and I would never put Pergo in a wet area, sure high PRESSURE areas are great, laundry rooms, play rooms etc.. all great. once water gets between the floor boards this stuff will swell like pop corn, unlike other woods that once get wet and dry out will most likely flatten back out Laminated (particle board) WILL NOT. sorry for the caps but I cannot express enough that this flooring would not a great option for wet areas, (I can hear it now) "Iv'e had it in my kitchen and bathroom for years without a problem" well you've been lucky, if this floor runs into the direction of the tank and there is a water mishap lacing in a board is nearly impossible, not only is it T&G but it's a floating floor so it's not as if you can secure it by nailing it and glue wont work because of the constant flexing and movement of the boards. Now if the boards run in the other direction then all you have to do replace from the bad boards back to the wall. my average floor install price ranged between 10 and thirty five thousand dollars and once a bedroom/bath floor for $132,000. Not bragging just letting you know I know flooring. I don't look at construction by how it looks as you leave but how it looks and lasts twenty years from now, My 2 cents.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Corals b 4 bills (Hi Mark). Several years ago we put in a new Pergo type floor. About 6 months after the floor was installed, I had an accidental flood from my tank. The floor did swell. The water went under the joints between the boards. Because of the expense, I had to live with the ugly damaged Pergo for another few years. We finally installed tile last year and I couldn't be happier. In fact, I had another accidental flood after the tile floor was installed with absolutely no damage. I couldn't emphasize more, no Pergo type floors with fish tanks!
Old 12/22/2007, 12:46 PM
This Space for Rent

Okay, here's the pictures

The T molding:

The other stuff:

And for the record, I have no contracting, construction, flooring experience (as you can probably tell by my not so professional looking trim install ). I wouldn't doubt what corals b4 bills says. I would have loved to put down tile in the area where the tank now sits, but the wife wouldn't go for that.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

That looks very nice to me, but I'm just a sub contractor. LOL
The other stuff that you have is probably a polyurethane caulking.
It allows your two floors to expand and contract without the floors cracking. Just a guess though.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:54 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Thanks for the info everyone. I will discuss it with the misses, and see if tile is an option.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

wow, my wife has been talking about getting Pergo type flooring and didn't think about water damage. Thanks for the info