Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/22/2007, 06:50 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...05#post9309605
Old 02/22/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Thick washer goes on the bottom of the impeller, then impeller, then thin washer, then volute.

i think your problem is the additional layer of mesh. I have 2 on mine, without removing any of the needlewheels and it rips!
Old 02/22/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

yeah that is how i did mine before, no i wish i wouldn't have cut the first needle wheel peices off, oh well, imma take one layer of mesh off.
Old 02/22/2007, 09:45 PM
Coral is a New Mom!

I would remove the first set of pins. That is what I did and it is working flawlessly. The more mesh the more air you will pull.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 02/22/2007, 10:02 PM
Charleston Reefer

I was looking into buying one of these skimmer. Are all these mods needed just to get this skimmer to perform well ?
Old 02/22/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Not at all.

I ran the skimmer for 6 months before moding it.

The work great stock they work better moded.
Old 02/22/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

well i removed one layer of mesh and it seems to startup fine and not freeze up on me.
Old 02/23/2007, 01:37 AM
Charleston Reefer

Do these mods only work on the Octopus Skimmer or will they work on the Pacifc Coast RPS-2000 Recirculating too? Seems like they are they same skimmers.
Old 02/23/2007, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

They are the same skimmers
Old 02/23/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kb-smoker
I was looking into buying one of these skimmer. Are all these mods needed just to get this skimmer to perform well ?
IMO boring out the venturi is a must, or make your own. After that mod the skimmer does great right out of the box. But the venturi is this skimmers downfall right out of the box IMO. After boring out that venturi my skimmer rivals some of the $500+ skimmers guys in my club have.

Last edited by impur; 02/23/2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02/23/2007, 12:14 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by impur
Thick washer goes on the bottom of the impeller, then impeller, then thin washer, then volute.

i think your problem is the additional layer of mesh. I have 2 on mine, without removing any of the needlewheels and it rips!
Do you have a pic of your mesh on the needlewheel like this? I remove d a row of the needles for the first pump I mesh-modded. I'd like to mod my other 2 pumps but I'd like to try without removing the pins.

Did you cut out the disc of mesh and then just cut it in half to slip it between the layers of pins?

Thanks!
Tyler
Old 02/23/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Old 02/23/2007, 12:24 PM
Proud father!

Thanks! Awesome! I'm glad to see it can be done without breaking pins off the impeller...

How do you find the modded pump for starting up with the modded impeller? My one modded pump requires me to blow air into the tube to get it going if I unplug it...

I'll add this to my list of things to do when I do my big overhaul in April.
Old 02/23/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Its starts fine on its own, starts right up every time. Make sure your mesh isn't sticking out farther than the pins on the needlewheel.
Old 02/23/2007, 05:09 PM
Proud father!

Quote:
Originally posted by impur
Its starts fine on its own, starts right up every time. Make sure your mesh isn't sticking out farther than the pins on the needlewheel.
I'll have to take it apart and check if out. I'll bet that is the problem...

The problem I run into is that every now and then when I restart the pump it will start drawing water, but it will not suck the venturi line clear.

Tyler
Old 02/23/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Most likely because of that elbow the venturi makes in the grey fitting. I bored mine out.

Old 02/23/2007, 05:39 PM
Coral Assassin

Think boring out the venturi would increase the performance of a skimmer that's already running mesh?
Old 02/23/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Sure did on mine.
Old 02/23/2007, 07:00 PM
Coral is a New Mom!

I think so. I am going to bore it out and put some ro line in it and then drill it on the 90 too.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 02/23/2007, 11:50 PM
Coral Assassin

Do you run an air valve on your venturi after boring it out, or just wide open at the other end? I'm running mesh on my impeller, and I found that I needed to restrict airflow with a valve to get better performance.
Old 02/24/2007, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Well. I did the Gutter Guard mod to my impeller a few weeks ago. I ended up adding a layer to the front and back of the stock impeller and all i can say is WOW AIR. I've done most mods including dremeling the output out the pump, boring out the 90 on the pump output, I enlarged the clear pipe part of the venturi, and now gutter guard. I ended up taking it out yesterday and cutting the gg down alittle because I'm still getting so much air that I have to have the riser pipe all the way down. I still need to find a replacement impeller rod instead of the carbon fiber rod i have been using which is too small and is making the pump noisy. But man do I love this skimmer!!!!
Old 02/24/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

I recently added the black silencer to my airline. Before it was just wide open and the skimmer was sucking so much air every few minutes it would sound like the airline squeezed together from the suction.

I'm getting about 1/4 of the cup full of dark skimmate, the first time i've had a skimmer pull skimmate this dark and nasty. I have a very light bioload on my 75gal and the small patches of cyano i had are going away now
Old 02/24/2007, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coreno16
Well. I did the Gutter Guard mod to my impeller a few weeks ago. I ended up adding a layer to the front and back of the stock impeller and all i can say is WOW AIR. I've done most mods including dremeling the output out the pump, boring out the 90 on the pump output, I enlarged the clear pipe part of the venturi, and now gutter guard. I ended up taking it out yesterday and cutting the gg down alittle because I'm still getting so much air that I have to have the riser pipe all the way down. I still need to find a replacement impeller rod instead of the carbon fiber rod i have been using which is too small and is making the pump noisy. But man do I love this skimmer!!!!
Thats the way im going to mod the one i have coming in this week. Im going to test this mod this week and get some numbers compared to mesh mod.
Old 02/24/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

impur,
Thanks for the mesh mod pics. Did the two layer mod without altering the stock impeller. Looks good so far. Had to drop the water level a bit. Looking forward to seeing how it settles in. Any way to monitor whether the mesh is dragging or rubbing enough to cause problems with the pump?
Old 02/25/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Rob from marinesolutions inc sent me an email that they will send me a new impeller to replace the paddlewheel impeller i had gotten. Im going to mod it when i receive it. Good service from marinesolutions.