Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Do Amphipods eat zoos?

I'm starting to notice some really large amphipods crawling around my tank. I've also seen some of my heads disappear overnight. I've checked for nudi's, spiders and I found none.

I ran across a member stating some amphipods eats zoos. Anyone else seen this happen?

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. - B.M.
Old 11/19/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

I've heard the same thing before, but i've got loads of zoas, and loads of amphipods...never had a problem. Personally i wont believe it till i see it.
Old 11/19/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Happened to me awhile back I actually caught them crawling all over them at night and in the morning the heads were gone. But for some reason the only ones that disapeared were the larger head zoas/palys. I bought a sixline and in a few days the bigger pods were gone.
Old 11/19/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Zoa's prefer slower moving prey. Amphipods are fast enough to get off the disk before it closes. Amphibods will eat dead and dying things.
Old 11/19/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SahuaritaMike
Happened to me awhile back I actually caught them crawling all over them at night and in the morning the heads were gone. But for some reason the only ones that disapeared were the larger head zoas/palys. I bought a sixline and in a few days the bigger pods were gone.
Same here. It the nice big heads that are disappearing. I have a sixline and a mandarin in the tank. The pods I see are about 1\4 inch!

I'll try not feeding so heavy so the sixline doesnt get so lazy.

Thanks for the comments!

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. - B.M.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:35 PM
Industry Professional

There are indeed some strains of amphipod that feed on zoos, I have heard of them a number of times. Common factors seem to be larger amphipods, typically silver or bluish in color with the crowns of zoos disappearing.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:46 PM
Hopeless addict

I saw large amphipods in my tank eat zoos, but they did it the way a beaver would take down a tree. They would eat around and around the base until just a little tiny point kept the head attached, and then it would just float off. I could get up at night and watch them with a red flashlight.

Since introducing a large wrasse to the tank, I have not had the problem. I still see the large amphipods if I shine the light down in to the rock holes. But they don't come out far enough for a zoo snack anymore.
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 11/19/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Hmm. Just the crowns? Whole head are gone for me.. Some were litterally a 1\4 inch fully expanded.

I guess I'll stay up with a flashlight and play stakeout tonight.

Thanks Skip. Thanks TIffanie

Old 11/20/2007, 12:45 AM
HAS ANYONE SEEN MY ZOOS?

my 4-line wrasse fixed my zoo eating amphipod problem.
Old 11/20/2007, 10:08 AM
Industry Professional

By crown I meant oral disc and the skirt.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 11/20/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

i have seen the pods in my tank eat zoos, they go crazy at night and get all over them, the next day some will be gone or look like they are dying. the wierd thing is they only crawl on certain strains of zoos.........the never go anywhere near my radioactive dragon eyes.
Old 11/20/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oct2274
i have seen the pods in my tank eat zoos, they go crazy at night and get all over them, the next day some will be gone or look like they are dying. the wierd thing is they only crawl on certain strains of zoos.........the never go anywhere near my radioactive dragon eyes.
Same here. I have a colony of three different zoos and for some reason they just like picking at my zoo with orange skirt and white speckled middle (Alfa\Omega)