Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 07/20/2007, 10:59 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

was curious on the gph on the 6025 after modded im thinking close to 1200 but not sure
Old 07/20/2007, 11:00 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

It is 1200gph + when modded full blast.
Old 07/20/2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
I am happy with my 6045 too. Skydancer's comment was made long time ago so it could not have been an insult to you since you only bought yours a month and half ago.

The point to be made is in the early days when we had just a few 6025s around, even fewer were the 6045s, when we discovered that the 6045 was not pumping out 1189 gph rather 950 gph, and 6025 was not pumping 660 gph rather 770 gph, and after some mods both 6025 and 6045 were pumping the same 1250 gph, and with the stopper mod on the 6025, it was identical to 6045 in any way you saw it, so yes spending the extra $30 did not seem a smart move, and many 6045 owners felt the same way.

Only recently we discovered some strength and benefit of the 6045. And I just did not think it was a wise thing for dga to bring back a very old post trying to make a point of how he knew how much benefit his 6045 has, because I know for a fact he just bought his 6045 very recently, after reading all the information in this thread, most of which the result of hard work by people like skydancer, and then to use one of his earlier comments to show off your own 6045 purchase? How did you see that other than being a cheap shot?

Some of the strength of the 6045 were discovered purely by chance, my guess is had I not brought up such points about the 6045, dga would not have even realized that and probably would have come here to complain how he was cheated by Tunze.

Another thing to be said is if you don't mind doing the stopper mod for your 6025 (which is more complicated than the flow mods), a modded 6025 is still the best stream pump out there with the best value, no question about that.
so are we still at 1200 gph or has it decreased with new test on the 6025
Old 08/10/2007, 09:46 AM
Psuedo Member

Thanks guys! mod-ed my 25 last night for alittle extra flow and really appreciate the tip. So easy to do. Couple of pics

I might do more but for now I like the flow im getting.
Old 08/10/2007, 09:48 AM
clownfish fan

yea this mod is so simple and rewarding its not even DIY its just easy....
Old 08/10/2007, 12:44 PM
will work for fish food!

I finally did mine, what a huge difference!
My nems and corals had to get used to the extra flow, took a couple days for that.
I even did the shorter barrel mod for wider pattern.
Used a rubber band for guide to cut straight.

Old 08/10/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

i did my 6045. Shortened the barrel. put in a stopper and dremeled out the inside for more flow. Wow is is crazy flow now. All the corals love it. I just got fish though and I think it may be a bit too much lol. Had to angle it off the glass a bit.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 08/12/2007, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davocean
...Used a rubber band for guide to cut straight...
Cool idea doing free hand.

My 6045 with the modded 6055 larger prop is still kicking strong with near 1,500 gph. I would say it stands the test if it will last over a year.

Unfortunately the 6055 mod (near 3,000 gph) did not work out only because the Aqauclear magnet wore out too fast.
Old 08/12/2007, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

Update:
All 4 of my modded 6025s are running good. 1 hour on 1 hour off. Only problem, one stopper broke and now I'm running it without the stopper. It was probably an operator error on the stopper, as I probably had cut it too thin to begin with.
Old 08/14/2007, 10:54 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

sky, im glad to hear the pumps are still working for you, and cant believe how much attention this threads gotten

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 08/15/2007, 01:14 AM
Brother Maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by mr pink floyd
sky, im glad to hear the pumps are still working for you, and cant believe how much attention this threads gotten
mike,

this is an amazing thread for several reasons...

the initial you discovering of modifying a great product like tunze to perform better was near revolutionary because a lot of us assume that tunze has done their homework and their stuff is tweaked and ready to go for us reef nuts. well, this reef nut anyway...

then jacmyoung takes your idea and streamlines it into what we have today.

the mods are so incredibly easy that a futz like me can easily do it. while i like diy...i was never a fan of the mj mods that seem to rule the roost.

so, not only did modifying the 6025 literally double the flow with a 5 minute dremel job...it kept the aesthetics that i like much much much more than the mj mods.

congrats to all who made this thread a great help to those who love their modded 6025's!

Ben.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
On a side note, now that my controller is capable of 0% to 100% pulsing.[/B]
jacmyoung- A few pages ago you post a bit about modding the single controller. I'm not sure that I saw what you finally ended up doing to get the low flow setting down to 0%. Can you post more info on what/how you did it?
Old 08/26/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Well, i moded my 6025 & everyone is right this is the easiest, quickest best mod out there. I didnt cut the outside tube off just removed the inside flanging & added 4 slots to the underside & its amazing. It looks like almost double the flow without doing any tests yet.
Old 08/29/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Great stuff! I did the more flow mod, the wide flow mod and the stopper mod, easy as cake
Old 08/29/2007, 12:35 PM
CERTIFIED REEF BUM

you can also cut slits on the cover to get an even wider flow.
Old 08/31/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Well, I can't keep up with the mod names, but I bought a 6025 a couple of weeks back and I realized the the inside portion was already cut out by the guy who I got it from (kappaknight). I since then got 2 other 6025 and have been happy with them.

But anyways, I decided to mod the one that had already been started on a little further so I cut the slots at the bottom like someone suggested many, many pages ago (took me a while to read this thread and just skimmed through the last 10 pages or so since there was a lot of BS ).

Well, then I also went ahead and cut every other "grid/rim" all around the cap portion of pump, if that makes sense. Has anyone here tried that? Now, I've got this pump as the only one in my 25G frag tank and it's enough by itself!!!

Not sure how much more as far as GPH it is pushing (I'd like to know how I can measure that, by the way) but it's probably close to 3 times more than what it was before.

So, anyways, thanks for all the help everyone that put thought and time into these mods! We DIYers, even the conservative ones like me, appreciate it!
Old 09/06/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

The most effective mod is the standard one, which gives you almost double the flow, any other added mods will only give marginal improvement, for example cutting slits on the underside will give you maybe 100 gph more flow max. Thinning out the grids isn't worth the trouble either IMO. It destroys the look of the pump.

For flow tests, I know it is a hassle to read the whole thread but detailed descriptions are all in there, if you are determined to do the flow tests yourself, the reading part is easy in comparison.

A few people asked me how to do the controller mod. I do not recommend it since the improvement (from 30% down to 15%) is not worth the trouble and you can not return the controller to its original condition after the mod, I had to cut out the knobs in order to open up the controller. I removed my controller mod right after the test and put it in regular use.
Old 09/06/2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
The most effective mod is the standard one, which gives you almost double the flow, any other added mods will only give marginal improvement, for example cutting slits on the underside will give you maybe 100 gph more flow max. Thinning out the grids isn't worth the trouble either IMO. It destroys the look of the pump.

For flow tests, I know it is a hassle to read the whole thread but detailed descriptions are all in there, if you are determined to do the flow tests yourself, the reading part is easy in comparison.

A few people asked me how to do the controller mod. I do not recommend it since the improvement (from 30% down to 15%) is not worth the trouble and you can not return the controller to its original condition after the mod, I had to cut out the knobs in order to open up the controller. I removed my controller mod right after the test and put it in regular use.
which controller are your talking about a seio controller or a tunze single controller
Old 09/07/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thinning out the grids isn't worth the trouble either IMO. It destroys the look of the pump.
I honestly think it looks better now!
Old 09/07/2007, 12:42 PM
10-08 the Desk

I was just looking at my Tunze Stream 6100 and it loks like you could mod them for a wider flow as well.

Has anyone tried?
Old 09/07/2007, 01:23 PM
Moved On

Yes it's been done on the larger Tunze pumps as well.

You can also increase the flow significantly by cutting out every other slit on the 6100's shroud. I have always been of the opinion that the stock Tunze shrouds are way too restrictive anyway.
Old 09/07/2007, 02:08 PM
clownfish fan

or you can upgrade a 6000/6100 to a 6200 shroud keep the stock look and get more/wide flow.
Old 09/07/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
You can also increase the flow significantly by cutting out every other slit on the 6100's shroud. I have always been of the opinion that the stock Tunze shrouds are way too restrictive anyway.
That's what I did on my nanostream. I believe it did increase the flow (since there's more water being pulled in. But I could be wrong, of course.
Old 09/07/2007, 02:59 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by bleedingthought
That's what I did on my nanostream. I believe it did increase the flow (since there's more water being pulled in. But I could be wrong, of course.
i did it to two of mine months ago, not only does it increase flow they clogg less often.

i removed every thrd bar.
Old 09/07/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

I removed every other but left all four that are in the middle/top. I didn't even think about the clogging, but you're right.