Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2006, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Here is what it costs to start a 75 gallon reef

Alright. Here goes nothing. I have been logging what everything has cost to start my 75 gallon reef. It took quite a while shopping around but so far this is what I have tallied up. Take it there is no livestock in the tank but this is a pretty simple breakdown for fellow newbies wondering what it would cost to start a REEF tank.

$280 75 gallon RR tank, stand, canopy, sump, and return pump off ebay. Kind of wasted my money because I threw the stand canopy away and didn't even use the sump that came with it. Couldn't fit the euro reef in it. Oh Well. That was really the only thing I have wasted my money on so far.

$165 Euro Reef ES5 protein skimmer from h20tropicals. it was a blem but is working great

$30 Gate valve and plumbing for the euro reef. THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO. I recomend this to everyone. All you do is turn a knob to adjust your skimmer height. Best $30 you could ever spend

$180 2x 250 Watt Metal Halide electronic ballasts. Got these from affordablelighting and they work great

$225 Typhoon III RO/DI unit. GREAT UNIT!!

$30 Refractometer Bought it from a guy here on RC. Check out the selling forums, lots of people sell good stuff here. And it's usually a lot cheaper

$30 2x 250 Watt 10K Metal halide bulbs off ebay. Wasn't really sure about these when I bought them but fired them up and they look great. What a deal. $30 for 2 bulbs, doesn't get any better than this

$70 2x Reflectors for the MH's. Got these from hellolights when they were on sale.

$75 29gallon sump with fuge. I actually bought the tank for $45 and then bought a bunch of glass for $30 to turn it into a sump. Works great.

$450 100lbs of live rock. I am getting this from a guy that is shutting his tank down. LFS sells it for $8.75/lb plus tax so I'm getting this stuff for more than half off.

$100 Lowes stuff to make a hood and stand. Not the most pretty pieces in the world but they will get the job done.

This is pretty much the bulk of it. I have spent probably another $150 on salt and crap like that from the LFS and other nic nac stuff from lowes like plumbing pieces. I have it all tallied up in an excell worksheet and right now I am sitting at about $1800. I know some of you new guys will think thats a lot but I spent tons of time shopping around and doing my homework. Don't waste your money on crap like protein skimmers off ebay. I almost did this one and then decided to hold off. I'm glad I did because that euro reef is top quality. So all I can recomend is if your going to get into this hobby, be sure you know what your getting into. Stuff adds up pretty quickly. In the end though I feel it is definetly going to be worth it. I am going to be adding the live rock tommorow so hopefully I will have some pics up soon. Cheers mates
Old 05/26/2006, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Anybody who gets into this hobby thinking they can do it on the cheap has another thing coming. When I set up a 125 reef tank about 3 years ago, I told my wife I thought I could do the changeover from fresh to salt for roughly 1000 dollars as I had the tank canopy and stand. She says " Oh that is cheap. I thought it would be like 2000 dollars." So after filling the tank up with corals and equipment, I think I stopped counting after about a billion dollars. Now we have gone to a 240. I figure I could have driven a Porsche for what it has cost so far. At least the insurance company paid for 3 rooms of laminate flooring and about 8 pieces of furniture to be refinished!
Old 05/26/2006, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

$1800... man thats nothing but you did a good job on getting good bargins man it just hurts thinking about how much my new 280 is costing me.
Old 05/26/2006, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

My 120 gallon reef tank came to around $8,500 when I was done.

Josh
Old 05/26/2006, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

how many of us make a trip the lfs and come home with a new coral or whatever it may be and tell the wife it was 15 or 20 dollors when you just dropped an easy fifty. maybe im the only one
Old 05/26/2006, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

My wife thinks the entire thing came to around $1200

If she actually knew I'm sure she'd pull a lorena bobit on me.
Old 05/26/2006, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

if we have company over at the house or what not the tank always seems to be at discussion. when questions of cost come my way i go the other way somethings are best left unsaid!
Old 05/27/2006, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

SSSHHHH! I must make sure my wife never reads this. The conversation went like this: My wife and I were at the public aquarium looking at the displays:

"Honey, I should fire my tank back up. I mean, I have all the stuff, it shouldn't cost much."

"Only if you do it right this time. How much do you think it'll run?"

"Oh, I don't know, under $1000."

"Thats not bad, go for it."

Well, I think $1000 was the first week! Just to fire up my old 92gal it has run me (and this is a conservative estimate) not including any livestock :

$450 - LR
$130 - 250W MH
$300 - PC Lighting
$150 - New pumps
$200 - Skimmer
$100 - plumbing supplies
$50 - QT Tank
$50 - Phosphate Reactor
$150 - Salt
$100 - testing supplies
$100 - Misc. Electrical (new breakers, GFCI, timers, etc)
$150 - RO/DI

This is not including the $5-20 I seem to constantly be dishing out on a regular basis for misc junk. Last week I also informed my wife that I would like consider switching to a 125g. Love to see how that goes.........
Old 05/27/2006, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

It is not the standard equip. that kills, it is the 50 trips to lowes at 10-20 a shot. When I built my tank, I swear I was there more than the employees. The wife was like, "why don't you make a list and just get it all in one shot?" Who is she kidding. Half the time I don't even know what I am looking for, let alone how much of it I need.
Old 05/27/2006, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

I agree with the trips to Lowes, (or Home Depot in my case).

Especially when plumbing. I would make several trips per day.

Josh
Old 05/27/2006, 05:11 AM
Fish Geek

how about this one. when you buy a coral or fish at the local fish store you tell the clerk not to write the price on the bag.
Old 05/27/2006, 06:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phlipper84
It is not the standard equip. that kills, it is the 50 trips to lowes at 10-20 a shot. When I built my tank, I swear I was there more than the employees. The wife was like, "why don't you make a list and just get it all in one shot?" Who is she kidding. Half the time I don't even know what I am looking for, let alone how much of it I need.
And I thought I was the only one!
Old 05/27/2006, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

And I almost forgot to give a shout out to everyone here on RC that has guided me through this. I was a 100% retard when I stepped into the LFS about 6 months ago. Now I am only 99% retarded. Only the first 1% of knowledge will actually get the tank up and running. Anybody out there hit 2% yet I don't think I will ever be there. Just too many questions. Cheers
Old 05/27/2006, 11:57 AM
Money Spender

you forgot to add water circulation to your list. thats another 200-800$ depending on what you want to buy.
Old 05/27/2006, 12:59 PM
Mortar Target

I stopped adding things up a while ago. I sold my prized possession at the time (400hp Subaru), so essentially in two years, I will have broken even!! The little stuff definately adds up. Then again, I didn't get into this hobby to save money. I earn money so I can SPEND it. It's really not good for anything else, anyways.