Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2006, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

another remora ?

I know theres tons of info in here about the remoras. ive been running mine for a year and a half and id like to smash it with a hammer really hard to see what happens. i cant get but only a trace amount of yellowish scum. it has a maxi 1200 and i clean it every couple of months. can anybody barrow me a big or have better ideas.
Old 05/26/2006, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Re: another remora ?

Quote:
Originally posted by M peacock
...can anybody barrow me a big ...
What does that mean?
Old 05/26/2006, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

sorry, just questioning the performance of my remora. i cant get much for results with it and was wondering what to do about it. ive read lots of people use them and they either love em or hate um. there must be a trick to getting them to perform. does anybody have opinions of which is the best hob skimmer.
Old 05/26/2006, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

M peacock, if you notice a film of organics on your water's surface you might want to invest in a prefilter box for your Remora if you don't already have one. The prefilter is claimed to improve skimming efficiency by 20%.

Are you trying to skim dry? IME the Remora isn't efficient enough to produce dry skimmate. Try the lowest position on the collection cup, and then move it up slowly until you get a good balance between wet skimmate and dark.

HTH,
T./

Visit my gallery to see my tank evolve from bare glass into a beautiful reef!
Old 05/26/2006, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

thanks 4 the reply, i do already have the box. my top off situation is a little bum right now so i cant really effectively use the skim box which might have somthing to do with its performance. i have the cup all the way down and have never really messed with it. ive been kinda looking at a hob colal-life super skimmer with the needle wheel but dont want to buy if i dont have to.
Old 05/26/2006, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

You might want to try contacting AquaC tech support. They've been extremely responsive and helpful to me in the past. Dunno if they're open over the holiday weekend, though...

T./

PS: If you do find any good info from them, please post for all!

Visit my gallery to see my tank evolve from bare glass into a beautiful reef!