Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Ppe

Do they like alot of light? Alot of flow? or are they like most other palys? What is the growth rate of them? I have 2 ATM
Old 12/13/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

When you put ppe's up where they get strong mh light, they will start getting white spots in the purple area.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I am guessing this is bad. ? JK. Do you have any other information?
Old 12/13/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

I started with 2 polyps 3 weeks ago and have them on the sandbed of my 75 gal. with med flow and I already have a baby.

BTW my lights are 2 400 watt mh 20k XM's
Old 12/13/2007, 08:48 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

They're lower light polyps, med flow. low to med level of tank. Had 30, but down to 15 or so. Tank issues. and stupid ampipods.

" Charles V "
Old 12/13/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Nice thanks. I have them in the right place now.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flybynight
I am guessing this is bad. ? JK. Do you have any other information?

Only if you want a basic unblemished ppe.
Some people like the different ways the speckling shows up.

Mine seem to like the bottom of the tank with good flow
Old 12/13/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

O ic. So putting closer to the top will make white spots that kinda shine? It is not bad for them? That is kewl.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

I don't think they shine, just spots.

To me it's like having water spots on a shiny car.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

Old 12/14/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Ya it does take away from the WOW effect.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:56 AM
King of the white corals

I still dont get PPE's and why they get the prices they do. A true RPE is way better looking.

I have some just becasue Im like that......but its kind of funny to me that they are in the top 5 most valuable morphs I have and not even in the top 25 of coolest
Old 12/14/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
I still dont get PPE's and why they get the prices they do. A true RPE is way better looking.

I have some just becasue Im like that......but its kind of funny to me that they are in the top 5 most valuable morphs I have and not even in the top 25 of coolest
i agree with this guy and it probably doesn't hurt that he gave me some RPE freebees
Old 12/14/2007, 09:37 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

They're hard to get ( TRUE Blane Perun's ) PPEs and they grow slow... which is why they're usually in the top 5

" Charles V "
Old 12/14/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

It is the lore (story) behind them. Anything with such a heartfelt history behind it makes it sought after because people want to be a part of it or to remember.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

I don't buy into any of the Blane or Tyree or any other of these LE types of coral. They all come from the ocean which is where those people got them from. I don't care who is selling them, if they look the same then they are the same to me and I'm much happier knowing I didn't over pay.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:49 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Me neither, got em real cheap and the trades I did payed for them self... LOL

" Charles V "
Old 12/14/2007, 03:32 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
It is the lore (story) behind them. Anything with such a heartfelt history behind it makes it sought after because people want to be a part of it or to remember.

somebody want to enlighten me???

lol. it kind of says something about how much of an addict I am though....because i DID pay market rate($45per) for two polyps of something i didnt think was all that cool just so i would have it.

and at this point I do not know of the story behind them.....

Old 12/14/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Hey Flyyyguy, here is a link to where it all started. http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catalog/fund_drive.html

Also delsol650 and bobafett, I would be more worried about what you may be putting in your tanks. If you buy something that morphed into what LOOKS like a PPE but is not a PPE how can you really call it that? If you do not know the leaniage (family Tree) of what you are buying you truley do not know what you are getting. If you are not worried about the cost and the hype they why did you get one if the first place? Maybe you wanted to be part of something bigger?

This is same with pure blood dogs. If you want the best you can get you are not going to be driving down the road and see a pickup with a sign that says English Bull dogs for sale for $200. You know nothing about that dog. English bulls are hard to breed, and take care of in the first place. If they have been inbread or bread with a english mix. You may be getting what you are paying for. A $200 dog that is a mutt. Or you can go to a reputable breader. Who has AKC papers. On who the dad was and who the mom was. What dog shows they have won. What health problems they have or not had. You are paying more but Look at what you are getting. A pure bread who could be a winner if you wanted to show him.

I buy corals becauase I love the way they look, the story of how they come to be. Or maybe even because they are worth more than most. They are going to grow. I will need to make room. Then I can trade/sale to help pay for upkeep. What it comes dow to is, I will have a TOP END Ppe that I know where it came from. While others will have just a zoa.
Old 12/14/2007, 04:37 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Hey Flyyyguy, here is a link to where it all started. http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catalog/fund_drive.html

Also delsol650 and bobafett, I would be more worried about what you may be putting in your tanks. If you buy something that morphed into what LOOKS like a PPE but is not a PPE how can you really call it that? If you do not know the leaniage (family Tree) of what you are buying you truley do not know what you are getting. If you are not worried about the cost and the hype they why did you get one if the first place? Maybe you wanted to be part of something bigger?

This is same with pure blood dogs. If you want the best you can get you are not going to be driving down the road and see a pickup with a sign that says English Bull dogs for sale for $200. You know nothing about that dog. English bulls are hard to breed, and take care of in the first place. If they have been inbread or bread with a english mix. You may be getting what you are paying for. A $200 dog that is a mutt. Or you can go to a reputable breader. Who has AKC papers. On who the dad was and who the mom was. What dog shows they have won. What health problems they have or not had. You are paying more but Look at what you are getting. A pure bread who could be a winner if you wanted to show him.

I buy corals becauase I love the way they look, the story of how they come to be. Or maybe even because they are worth more than most. They are going to grow. I will need to make room. Then I can trade/sale to help pay for upkeep. What it comes dow to is, I will have a TOP END Ppe that I know where it came from. While others will have just a zoa.
with all due respect...........I think ive seen you refer to yoru common red and white zoas as "Fire and Ice" recently.

so what gives?? they are nothing like "true" fire and ice's. similar?? sure.

heres the deal....there are SO MANY morphs that are close to each other that we have to use the common names over and over. lineage is whan you can call it TRUE and prove that lineage on it. Just because soemthing is "true" doesnt mean there isnt a sweeter morph than the original available, and when thats the case.....id rather have the fake
Old 12/14/2007, 04:44 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Mine were from a Very reputable reefer that got it from Blane, and the others were from Steve Tyree himself ( REEFFARMERS)I think everyone knows who he is and his reputation, which most likely sourced it from him as well. So yeah, my stuff legit man.

" Charles V "

Last edited by delsol650; 12/14/2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12/14/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

lol the lore of the infamous PPE. wow
Old 12/14/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
with all due respect...........I think ive seen you refer to yoru common red and white zoas as "Fire and Ice" recently.

so what gives?? they are nothing like "true" fire and ice's. similar?? sure.

heres the deal....there are SO MANY morphs that are close to each other that we have to use the common names over and over. lineage is whan you can call it TRUE and prove that lineage on it. Just because soemthing is "true" doesnt mean there isnt a sweeter morph than the original available, and when thats the case.....id rather have the fake

Never called them fire and Ice. They are Ring Of fire. I never said they where from anywhere. I know where they came from. I do not even sale them with a lineage either. @ 1 or 2 bucks a poylp that is cheap. I also called the other zoas i have Dragon eyes because that is what I was told they where. I sold them as Dragon eyes. They got them very cheap because i had no real ideal. I did ALOT of research and found them to be Blowpop or Green Bay packards. From Zoaid.com If you look they are both the same.

I did contact everyone that I could remember who I sold them to and told them what I had found out. They did not care because they got them because they like them. NOT BECAUSE THEY WHERE RARE. If you sale a PPE with the name of PPE. I would make sure that is what they are. Because like you said. Some people buy them just because they are well know and RARE. Not because they like them. So when one spends LOTS of money on one or 2 poylps they WANT IT TO BE REAL. So we are back to cheap or a good deal? Sounds to me like you got a good deal. Wanna pass that deal on?

delsol650

You dont care about lineage? They why even buy from a Very reputable reefer that got it from Blane? You just got a GOOD DEAL on the real thing. If I would have got that kinda hook up then I would have gone that way.

P.S. I never said your stuff was not legit. You assumed I ment that. Brake the word AS U & ME (I left out a s somewhere). And you can see what you got mad in the first place. I have no ideal who you even are. I was just making a point that cheap is normaly cheap. A good deal is The good stuff at a low price. So next time say I like the good deals. Not that it was cheap.
Old 12/15/2007, 04:34 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I DO care about lineage of the piece, which is why I only got those from truely reputable sources which got it straight from the original source. I don't know where you got yours from, and will not cretique it. Are you trying to discount Steve Tyree (reeffarmers ) whom is very well known in reefing.. I asked specifically if these were true blane peruns, and the response was Yes, During the last BA-CFM. Same with the other reputable reefer I got the other frag from. Just because I got mines from another source, which sourced it from him.. your trying to say, I don't care about lineage... ???? That IS lineage, I am getting the real stuff from others that got it from the originator.
" I don't take things personally homie.... I see you been reefing for 4 years... so I won't take anything you say seriously...

Just because some of us CAN get the real deal stuff for cheaper prices than other, dosn't discount the fact that our stuff is legit, real... I came to to this thread to help you out, then you come at me... Man I guess thats the last I try to help you out with things... good luck in your reefing man... seriously..

" Charles V "
Old 12/15/2007, 05:14 PM
Unregistered Member

They come from the ocean and this lineage thing is absurd. I made some PPE. Do you want to know how I did it?

It will be in a new thread to come and I have pictures during the transformation. It really was not that difficult.

I am still working on that orange envy-but that should not be more than a couple more months. I am not harping on the Honda, I just hate this lineage thing! They are names of corals

good luck
PL

Last edited by geoxman; 12/15/2007 at 05:29 PM.