Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Octopus or Bermuda

Which is the better skimmer the Octopus nw 200 or the Bermuda BPS-3C and why? Looking for something that doesn't need alot of adjustment, as quiet as possible, and will pull lots of nog in the $200 to $350 price range. To be used on a 75gal fish only in sump.
Old 09/11/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Das ex-1 or ex-2
the bermudas have a good rep on here, most who have them love them, and the octo nw200 is a tried and true workhorse.
I would probably go with a Das ex-1 myself
Old 09/11/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Why DAS? What are the benifits over the octo / bermuda?
Old 09/11/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

I just got my Octopus today. It's setup already and seems to be working great. The build quality is awesome. It's the closest to silent you can get. I can barely tell the pump is even on and the return pluming sits below the water line so noise isn't an issue. I have the recirculating 150 which is rated to 185g. Price shipped was $300 from octopusskimmer [dot] com
Old 09/12/2007, 05:30 AM
Registered Member

I like the DAS due to the pump and design. It pushes 500lph and the body is designed for it so out of the box it is pretty much maxed out. A great little plug and play skimmer. The only problem is that they are annoying to buy, petorama.net and protein-skimmer.com seem to be the only games in town and DAS has trouble delivering.
Old 09/16/2007, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

I don't have any direct experience with the Octo skimmers so I can't really give you a good comparison. I do however own a Bermuda and upgraded from an ASM G3.

I have the 8C and love it. I found the ASM skimmed well when it was freshly cleaned, but the performance quickly declined if it wasn't kept clean.

The Bermuda has a nice consistent foam head and doesn't require much to keep it running well. IMO, this skimmer is a God-send for the lazy reefer.

I also like the fact that the Bermuda runs with off the shelf pumps that are easy to find, not too expensive and easy to fix. They don't require huge pumps that the Becketts to either. My 8C is super quite too (not that it matters to me with a basement sump).

The last point I'll make about the Bermuda is that it's a snap to clean. The collection cup is removed easily, the venturi is attached wit a PVC union and very easy to remove as well.

Best of luck,
Ron
Old 09/16/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

I have a 3C, was using it on a 90. I am trying an Octopus dual recirc 150 right now. Having a few issues that I'm working out. I have to say that while the visible amount of air in the Octopus is impressive, the 3C was no slouch. It developed a good heavy foam, but of course, has a smaller body. That 3C just skimmed and skimmed, no problems ever. The Octopus is not as simple a design. I think the Octopus will turn out be the better skimmer but dealing with metric pipe sizes and messing with some work around issues is not something you need worry about with the Bermuda. It's not a given that I wont be using the Bermuda again but the Octopus will gets it's fair shake to see how much better it really is. Not a fair comparison though ... the dual recirc 150 should be compared with atleast the 5C or 8C, not the 3C.

3C would be a great choice for a 75 in it's own right !!!
Old 09/16/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I have had my 5C for about a week now and it is skimming better than anything I have ever owned including an AquaC EV180 w/Mag 9.5 and an MTC HSA 250 w/ a Mag 9.5 (this is a Beckett). I am pulling well over a quart of "green tea" a day on my lightly stocked 180 (which I am just getting going).

This is not a well known brand of skimmer (No "Clubs"), but if you talk to Todd over at Something Fishy in PA, he swears by them and uses them in the store. According to Todd, this Co. started out with mostly commercial skimmers and branched out into hobby skimmers.

IMO, you will not be sorry if you picked up one of these!

I hope this helps.

Herb