Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2006, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy Skimmer not working part 2

Recently I have noticed my aqua remora not working because of sticky material build up on the collection cup. It's a 2 year old skimmer so I figure I should get a new one anyways. My new Remora came but the foam only build up half way up the collection cup. I took the collection cup out and cleaned it but noticed the sticky material once again is forming on the tube.

I have tried to wash it with hot and cold water so far and it is refusing to come off. Should I use detergent? Anyone has any idea what this is? Let me throw in something else to see if it matters. Besides the Remora I ahve a mechanical filter, Whisper 30, to catch the large particles. Recently I replaced it with a new one. The filter come with a cotton bag + active carbon and a bio grid foam. In the past I always empty out the carbon and leave the bio grid foam out. This time I decide to leave the bio foam grid in to see if helps water quality out. In the back of my head I remember something about bio foam grid and protein skimmer doesn't mix? I forgot.

Thanks for all your help

Robert
Old 05/26/2006, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

i dont think i would use a detergent. i get the same mucky goo in the tube but i just scrub it out with Q-tips. mechanical filtration is a good question. i also got a new filter today thinking it couldnt hurt. ive been using a whisper 30 with my remora also and i know others that use them along with skimmers.
Old 05/26/2006, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

yea I have been using my whisper with remora for a long time too and no problems. The only thing I added is the black bio foam and that's it. This is not you typical brown goo I use to have.

They are formed like tiny water marks along the inside of the tube and sticky. Impossible to scrub off.. I have scrubed it with tiny brushes for 10 mins and it's still there.
Old 05/26/2006, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

not sure what hat could be. my cup cleans good with very little work but i never have any skummy fluid either. do you use the big ugly preskim box and how do to evaporation top-off.
Old 05/26/2006, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

You might try using baking soda and a soft cloth to clean it. The soda works like a mild abrasive and is reef safe.
Old 05/26/2006, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

i was just on the rc home page and in the reviews theres alot of answers to the remoras and pre skim boxes. it doesnt really sound that mines to far out of line. there must be a better hob skimmer than this.
Old 05/26/2006, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

I am not using the pre-skim box... it's way too big for my 20gal long. Someone told me last week to try isopropyl alcohol.... that worked wonders.... I was able to get the scum off really fast. Now that's see if the foam makes it all the way up to the top... I just thought of something... I added 5ml of idodine last week to help shrimp/crabs molt... I wonder if this could have been the cause of weird water issues. I never had this weird build up before.