Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Question Green Hair Algae

After being away for a few days for the holidays we noticed a mass quantity of green hair algae over everything in our entire tank. Up until a few weeks ago the only place we could find it was at the top of the water flow of the filter. Our LFS guy recommended us using paper towels and getting it out of the tank, so we did. Now it's everywhere. Did we somehow spread it?

I am siphoning it out and doing a partial water change, but there is still some on the hard to reach spots. Is there anything else that I can do to get rid of this? I'm sure it's not going to be an easy or quick fix. Are there any fish in particular that will eat it?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01/05/2008, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

whats your water parameters in particular phosphates and nitrates? what kinda lights/ how old are the bulbs? what size tank? when did the algae start?
Old 01/05/2008, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

tangtang 81 asked the right questions. Nitrates and particularly phosphates are key. You can scrub the rocks with a toothbrush, do good size water changes pretty easily. Adding a phosban reactor will help also. However getting the root cause is the important part or you will always have the issue. Check your parameters and the amount of food you are adding. Good luck...
Old 01/06/2008, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Ok, so I took a sample of my water to my LFS and the phosphates were a little high, but the nitrates were really low and he said that everything else was perfect. So we bought the phosphate filter per the LFS guys instructions.

We only feed 1-2x's a week, cubed food (carnivore and herbivore) along with the cubed brine shrimp and only enough that it's gone within 30 seconds...that's what they told us to do at the LFS. We have seaweed in all the time for the tang.

The lights are a little old (Current is the brand and they're the compact lights). They are just coming up on a year. So as soon as I get a little extra cash I'll be replacing them.

The tank is a 55 gallon.

The algae has been at the top of the tank at the filter flow for about 2 months, but that's it. It wasn't until just recently when we removed it from there that it spread throughout the entire tank. Also, our foxface rabbit fish just recently died...do you think that maybe he was keeping the algae under wrap?
Old 01/06/2008, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

LFS's will always sell you the items that "hide" the problems such as algae chemicals, filters etc. But one needs to understand the root cause of algae problems as some others have mentioned. When you have these algae problems, there is a high nutrient problem in the tank. You have to look for ways to "export" these nutrients as best as possible. This could be a more efficient skimmer, increased water changes, reduced feeding schedule, phosphate reactors, etc. Once you can get the main source of the nutrients under control, you will be better off.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Dosing always gets me into trouble.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

I'm assuming when you say very low on the nitrates they wernt 0. so most likely your problem is caused by a combiniation of phosphates and nitrates and possibly the lights.....like you already said....they are gonna need a change soon otherwise hair algawe will only take a turn to the worse.
You could try getting a sea hare, they love hair algae and are very fast at cleaning it up. I have kept them and they are a great addition for algae control (and dont die when they fall over )
Old 01/07/2008, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I had hair algae over my entire tank a few months ago....i fixed the problem in my tank by adding some caulerpa to my fuge , i also skimmed more frequently and i added alott of carbon for about 2 weeks. This made a huge difference in my tank.....the algae gradually started turning pale and then brown.After a week the changes were evident ...,entire pieces of liverock that were covered in hair algae were completely clean ..., and my filter sock was clogged. i simply removed it all from the filter sock and cleaned up the rest of the tank and now i have no hair algae.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Sea Hares are AWESOME at HA removal. You still need to address the "Cause" or the symptoms will always be around.

Yeah tanktank81 is correct. Don't freak out when the Sea Hare falls.. they are a HOOT to watch... here's my video of mine falling...

Old 01/07/2008, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

faxface are excellent algae eaters, the loss may have been what tipped you over. The phosphates do need to be dealt with, but a good algae eater is always helps.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to get a sea hare asap. I'm also going to try your advice IceWish.

Wish me luck!
Old 01/07/2008, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Trying picking up some snails and hermit crabs. Same thing happen to me over the holidays. I got some snails and crabs on saturday and the tank is starting to look much better. Good Luck
Old 01/07/2008, 02:54 PM
------------

Quote:
Originally posted by neyugn0w01
Trying picking up some snails and hermit crabs. Same thing happen to me over the holidays. I got some snails and crabs on saturday and the tank is starting to look much better. Good Luck
Also happened to me..
Old 01/07/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Hair algae has microscopic spore pods that when mature easily disperse when disturbed - i.e. squezed and pulled from the tank. I had to take the covered rocks and equipment out and manually remove and scrub in tank change water. Honestly, I battled it for about a year just keeping it in check but over time getting worse. Thing that worked for me was a tank move. cleaned the entire tank and did more than a 50% waterchange and the next day all HA was gone. That's just what worked for me. Heard all kinds of other remedies - let's keep hearing them here.