Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

Skimmer suggestions for a 360g FOWLR?

I am going to set up a 360g FO in the near future and need some skimmer suggestions. I'm tossing around the idea of sharing sumps with my 110g reef, so the system would be anywhere from 450-600g if I setup the reef as well. I have the option to buy a MTC HSA1000 skimmer used for about $300-350. I was going to run an Iwaki 40RXLT pump, 1200gph 135 watts. An energy efficient pump I'd a must, I need to keep the electric bill down as much as possible (that's why I'm running an ocean runner 6500 for a return). I've heard becket skimmers are a little fincky tho? I'm looking for a very efficient skimmer, that I don't have to constanly be messing with, just want to clean the collection cup out every so often. I am on a budget (college student) but willing to pay for the right skinner. Any suggestions for an effective yet energy efficient skimmer for my 360g? Thanks.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Beckett skimmers work very well, but are actually the least efficient IME. I sold my 4" tall dual beckett from MRC and went with a Deltec. Unfortunately, to get good efficient skimmer, you are going to have to drop some $$$....I would suggest looking at the new sequence reflo skimmers. I would also recommend keeping the reef and the FO systems separate. The FO does not require the same quality water as the reef, so why burden yourself by requiring that all the water be of the same quality.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:58 AM
I am a super nose picker

http://www.protein-skimmer.com/ I bought my custom Dart NW skimmer from Shaun at ORCA and it works great.My tank is 300 gal with 125 gal sump.Very good price and you will save money.He builds great skimmers and very well built.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:59 AM
I am a super nose picker

skimmate pic
Old 12/10/2007, 08:59 AM
I am a super nose picker

Old 12/10/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Fiz, I looked into the reflo skimmer, the $1200 one? Way outta my price range.

steve, I'm sure the custom skimmer cost a fortune! I am really on a tight budget.

I thought I could get a really good skimmer for $500, but I guess not.

I'm considering these skimmers, still open to suggestions though:

http://www.championlighting.com/prod...cat=762&page=1
http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1015 (a bit to $$)

I don't know what else to consider? I was looking at a regular octopus NW skimmer, but the biggest model (NW 200) isn't big enough. Any other suggestions? I may just get an ASM, but I heard not so good things about them.
Old 12/10/2007, 05:50 PM
I am a super nose picker

My skimmer is a wet neck and its similar to the reef flow model it uses the dart nw pump but it was much cheaper than the reef flow model.I would email shaun he can make you a very nice skimmer for your budget and you will be happy with it.His prices are very fair in comparison to others.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

I'll have to email him just to keep my options open, but for what I need, it's going to be hard to keep it within budget.

What do you guys think about this?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1269008
Old 12/12/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

Once in a while a good used one will show up on eBay.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:50 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp
Fiz, I looked into the reflo skimmer, the $1200 one? Way outta my price range.

steve, I'm sure the custom skimmer cost a fortune! I am really on a tight budget.

I thought I could get a really good skimmer for $500, but I guess not.

I'm considering these skimmers, still open to suggestions though:

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1015 (a bit to $$)

I don't know what else to consider? I was looking at a regular octopus NW skimmer, but the biggest model (NW 200) isn't big enough. Any other suggestions? I may just get an ASM, but I heard not so good things about them.
BTW, the "regular octopus skimmer" is the EXACT same skimmer as those first 2 skimmers you posted links too...and the Xtreme 250 will perform better (and is cheaper) than the DDNW250.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:53 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
I'll have to email him just to keep my options open, but for what I need, it's going to be hard to keep it within budget.

What do you guys think about this?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1269008
If you are wanting to keep electrical costs down...that skimmer is NOT for you They (like Becketts) require high pressure pumps to operate at peak performance.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:34 AM
I am a super nose picker

thats one reason I didn't get a Beckett skimmer you need a very strong pump to make them work properly.You can get something like the octo or ati skimmer from Shaun at ORCA (protein skimmers.com) for less money and better build.I can't say what I paid for my skimmer because I got a better price.I had waited a long time for him to design and build my skimmer.He built another model with the feed going directly into the skimmer pump because some people said my skimmer wasn't as efficient since the inlet and outlet are in the same chamber but he didn't notice anything different in performance.I am very happy with my skimmer and I am getting more skim mate out of this then I ever did with my tune.My tunze wasn't cheap either$606 US.I aid a little bit more for this skimmer.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

I think my best bet is this skimmer

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...roducts_id=133

I'm just worried because it is a new product, don't know if they have worked all the bugs out of it yet. It is very similar to the BM. The price is good, considering how well it should skim. I just have to stay away from beckett skimmers, the only thing I like about them is the price! I wish I could find out more about the extreme 250 before ordering it.
Old 12/12/2007, 06:36 PM
I am a super nose picker

take a look at this before you buy anything and its not expensive http://www.protein-skimmer.com/galle...galleryid=3947
Old 12/13/2007, 12:22 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
take a look at this before you buy anything and its not expensive http://www.protein-skimmer.com/galle...galleryid=3947
Nice looking skimmer....but it appears to have one of the same problems as the ATI's, the bubble plate is just much taller than it nees to be...effectively reducing the reaction chamber by half. The Xtremes have a shorter, larger diameter bubble plate that allows more of the skimmer body to actually be reaction chamber. IMO, all of the height that is between the top of the bubble plate and the output is not needed...sure, it helps in eliminating MB's from leaving the skimmer...but come on, it doesn't take half of the skimmer body to sort MB's from the output. My Octopus only has 1 1/2" between the bottom of the bubble layer and the discharge pipe and I have never seen a MB leave the skimmer

I'd take a guess that the Xtreme 250 is still cheaper than that one...and better designed
Old 12/13/2007, 12:25 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
I think my best bet is this skimmer

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...roducts_id=133

I'm just worried because it is a new product, don't know if they have worked all the bugs out of it yet. It is very similar to the BM. The price is good, considering how well it should skim. I just have to stay away from beckett skimmers, the only thing I like about them is the price! I wish I could find out more about the extreme 250 before ordering it.
Come on man...just pull the trigger and buy it

Really, there won't be much about the Xtreme line as far as peformance goes until the first batch is out and in the hands of reefers...and after that the price will probably go up once it's realized how good they are.

IMO, if you want a skimmer that will perform well on your 360g and want it to be energy efficient and under $500...the Xtreme 250 is the only thing on the market that will do all that.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:34 AM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
Nice looking skimmer....but it appears to have one of the same problems as the ATI's, the bubble plate is just much taller than it nees to be...effectively reducing the reaction chamber by half. The Xtremes have a shorter, larger diameter bubble plate that allows more of the skimmer body to actually be reaction chamber. IMO, all of the height that is between the top of the bubble plate and the output is not needed...sure, it helps in eliminating MB's from leaving the skimmer...but come on, it doesn't take half of the skimmer body to sort MB's from the output. My Octopus only has 1 1/2" between the bottom of the bubble layer and the discharge pipe and I have never seen a MB leave the skimmer

I'd take a guess that the Xtreme 250 is still cheaper than that one...and better designed
My ATI BM250 has just a bit of MB that sneak down to the outlet. A shorter bubble tube would be much worse. That being said, the skimmers work extremely well. It does not appear to hinder performance.
Old 12/13/2007, 01:13 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
My ATI BM250 has just a bit of MB that sneak down to the outlet. A shorter bubble tube would be much worse. That being said, the skimmers work extremely well. It does not appear to hinder performance.
Yes, but the BM's are designed completely different than this. The BM injects the air at the bottom of the skimmer, that goes swirling up into a bubble plate and into the reaction chamber, then the skimmers output is next to the bubble plate riser. One would expect LOTS of MB's out of this skimmer without the tall cylinder around the diffusers outlet. The Orca skimmer that steve the plumb posted has the air being injected into a closed bubble chamber with the skimmers exit at the bottom of the skimmer...you would have to push several thousand gph through this skimmer to get MB's out of the output.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

I am really thinking about it, just sold my bike too
<----------------------

So I have the money for it. Do you think the price will go up soon? Also, the extreme is an in sump skimmer only? What is the footprint dimensions and what water level does it have to be kept at? I don't even think they are for sale yet. Just taking orders for them, but not shipping them out. It will be going on my 110g FO, won't see the 360g for a while. Guess I should email them to find out all the fine details. You really want to see how this thing works huh JCT Well you just may find out through me! Thanks for all your help, and everyone's input.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:12 AM
Generic Member

Old 12/13/2007, 09:40 AM
I am a super nose picker

you can always ask shaun about that skimmer.someone bought it.People said my skimmer wasn't as efficient as it could have been so shaun built another similar model to mine where all the intake water goes directly into the pump instead of the body like mine does.He didn't notice a difference in performance.As long as the skimmer is built well and built buy someone who knows what he is doing and backs his product you are good to go.I just tried to help.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Steve, I appreciate the help. I am going to email shaun and see what he can do, keeping options open. I'll show him the extreme 250 and see if he can build something better at a competitive price. If not, looks like I will go with the extreme 250. I have plenty of time to decide. Been busy with finals, so haven't done much, but now the semester is over, still the 360g is a long ways away from being set up, but the 110g holding/'growout tank should go up this week/weekend. I'll put the skimmer on that, hopefully it won't be too much for the tank.
Old 12/22/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Ok, well I emailed protein-skimmers.com See what they have to offer, compared to the extreme 250. Guess I will wait and see.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

I have a Bermuda Aquatics BPS-5C on my 180 SPS tank, and it skims like a champ! It is rated from a 200-500 gallon tank. I could have possibly gotten away with the 3C, but I wanted to size it up a bit. These skimmers can be had for just around 600.00 with a Mag 12 pump at Something Fishy in PA (toofishy.com). They currently have a 10% off holiday sale. These are great skimmers and I am surprised that you don't see more about them here on RC.

Hope this helps.

Herb
Old 12/24/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Is that the only place where they can be bought? I'm ttyingbto stay under my $500 budget.

Steve the plumb, I emailed shaun, no reply, been about 5 days. Guess he isn't interested. So it looks like my money will be going to the extreme 250 skimmer. Oh well!