Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 05:25 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I think the lineage thing is WILD coral , which have been worked on for years to grow real well in personal aquaria and have a good genes.. basically becomes a well known piece that grows real well and don't have problems growing in any tank...

compared to some/most wild caught coral, that some don't live long in tanks since its not used to personal aquaria...

" Charles V "
Old 12/15/2007, 05:36 PM
Unregistered Member

AHH you have a point there! You will still find my thread interesting and it will shed some light on all of these "new, craze ,polyp of the month, gotta have, rare, never before seen and expensive polyps." I am very busy until after Christmas but I will post some time in the New Year
Old 12/15/2007, 05:43 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

cool, thank Geo.. will look foward for it... Yeah < I'm not really into the name game... but look for nice looking pieces that have been KNOWN as good growers in tanks.

" Charles V "
Old 12/15/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flybynight
Hey Flyyyguy, here is a link to where it all started. http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catalog/fund_drive.html

Also delsol650 and bobafett, I would be more worried about what you may be putting in your tanks. If you buy something that morphed into what LOOKS like a PPE but is not a PPE how can you really call it that? If you do not know the leaniage (family Tree) of what you are buying you truley do not know what you are getting. If you are not worried about the cost and the hype they why did you get one if the first place? Maybe you wanted to be part of something bigger?

This is same with pure blood dogs. If you want the best you can get you are not going to be driving down the road and see a pickup with a sign that says English Bull dogs for sale for $200. You know nothing about that dog. English bulls are hard to breed, and take care of in the first place. If they have been inbread or bread with a english mix. You may be getting what you are paying for. A $200 dog that is a mutt. Or you can go to a reputable breader. Who has AKC papers. On who the dad was and who the mom was. What dog shows they have won. What health problems they have or not had. You are paying more but Look at what you are getting. A pure bread who could be a winner if you wanted to show him.

I buy corals becauase I love the way they look, the story of how they come to be. Or maybe even because they are worth more than most. They are going to grow. I will need to make room. Then I can trade/sale to help pay for upkeep. What it comes dow to is, I will have a TOP END Ppe that I know where it came from. While others will have just a zoa.
I really dont care if they are true or if they are morphed. I put pretty corals in my tank, not corals with pretty names. As I mentioned before they all come from the ocean. I doubt Blane is a scientist and genetically engineered his. It all has to do with lighting and tank conditions. I have seen dozens of PPE pics on this sight. Some claim they are true PPE's and some not. For the ones that claim they are true and can prove it, why don't their pics ever look as deep purple with bright metallic green skirts as the ones on Blanes web sight?
Old 12/15/2007, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

I want get into a lot of detail, but Blane isnt the one who really found the PPE's. They were found by someone I know off the coast of the Florida keys and they were then sent to Blane.
Old 12/15/2007, 07:31 PM
Team RC Member

Lets all touch gloves and take a deep breath. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. This thread has strayed way off topic of PPE's.

Mucho
Old 12/15/2007, 08:37 PM
Unregistered Member

MAN IT IS GOOD TO GET THIS FORUM ACTIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Star Wars geek, I could not agree more!!

Mucho, "Fascination Street" is playing in the background and I am all good.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Oh I am sorry...

I was not aggravated in the least.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:59 PM
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by RevHtree

I was not aggravated in the least.
I was. Im still really angry

Old 12/16/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delsol650
[" I don't take things personally homie.... I see you been reefing for 4 years... so I won't take anything you say seriously...

[/B]
Sounds to me that you are taking things seriously.

I just felt you where dowing me that is why I got upset.

So you are not going to take anyone serious who has been reefing for 4 years or less? Wow I guess you are better than most of anyone on RC.com?
Old 12/16/2007, 03:39 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

NOpe, If I was to ever take this place seriously, I would stop going to this site.. I just came to your thread to help, but you attacked, and I just responeded and ended it. The 4yr thing was just a parting shot. I never put you down, you took things the wrong way. You look at my history here on RC, I always go to help folks our or give charity corals to others... But yes this has gone to far... have fun with your reefing and good luck I'm out. I rather not tarnish my reputation on something but a meaningless misunderstanding and quit before this gets more out of hand than it already has...

ANd your end response is your feeling not mine nor anyone elses on this place.

" Charles V "
Old 12/16/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I NEVER ATTACKED I WAS JUST TRYING TO GIVE YOU MY OPION. Stating my view on buying cheap corals. You jumped the gun and ASSUMED I was saying yours was fake. NO i was stating that cheap is normaly cheap. You are the one who said I was saying yours was fake. I NEVER SAID THAT. If you have a view of buying cheap corals SO BE IT. That is your opion. I stated mine. That was it. You shoved words in my mouth. If you have a opion then have it (it is the USA). Dont expect people to think the way you do. Quite trying to make me look like the bad guy. I am here help as well. I dont have 4574 post so I am sure I have not helped as many people as you have. But, I have and DO help.

My last post was a question of you and your thoughts on people who have been in for 4 years or less. You took a shot at me by saying that. (parting shot) YOU SAID THAT NOT ME. So quit putting words in my mouth.

This thread started as a question about PPE care tips Till you shared your opion about buying cheap. This thread turned into a debate about buying cheap and what you might get. Then you assumed I said I was attacking you and saying your ppe was fake. (which I never said) Then this thread then turn into a joke when YOU SAID, you have no respect for me because I have only been reefing for 4 years. Which means you have no respect for anyone who has been reefing for less than 4 yours. (I am not shoving words in your mouth because you said it) So, stop trying to twist my words and saying I am the bad guy.

P.S. If someone has a opion and expresses it that does not mean they are talking a shot at you. I was trying to make a point. Dont get mad if it does not go along with what you think. I am not mad and when I have been doing this for more than 4 YEARS I will get on your level and start give you my opion. Then maybe you can RESPECT me.

P.S.S I was never attacking you. As Master Yota said, Opion I he gives. Attacking you not.

P.S.S.S If you can get the real deal at a low price hook a brother up. I dont like paying highprices either. P.M. me with the hook up =)
Old 12/16/2007, 01:17 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

well, lets just say, agree to disagree on how things started, sorry in my part to how ever I added to this. I say next thread we share we wipe the slate clean. Online line sometimes how we write things can seem to be different to how we intended to say it. and also changes to how wanted it percieve.

" Charles V "
Old 12/16/2007, 01:25 PM
Team RC Member

Written words can and will be taken the wrong way soemtimes. I experienced it myself a few times. I hope you two gents can shake hands and move on. No harm, no foul. How bout it?

Mucho Reef
Old 12/16/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like a plan to me. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. So just tell me to shutup (In a nice way ) and then love on me

Lets start by me getting frags of all your nice corals
Old 12/16/2007, 01:46 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Flybynight , When you need help again. I'll do my best to help you out again,, but with a better outcome...
I wanna create as much reefing buddies here on RC as possible, would love to get everyones respect and help when I need it too... a merry christmas to all...

" Charles V "
Old 12/16/2007, 02:07 PM
Team RC Member

My new friends, awe.

Thanks guys, much respect to both of you.

And to all a goodnight.

Happy Holidays.

Mucho
Old 12/16/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

I thought I had seen it all as far as ‘named’ polyps until I saw them compared to pure bred dogs.

It appears to me that people who are fond of names want it all ways. They won’t accept a ‘true’ Perun PPE if it does not look like one, and they won’t accept a LFS bought one because it does not have ‘true’ lineage. I have no personal experience with PPE’s, but I promise a Perun won’t look correct under my lights, which contain no actinics. So if I purchased some I would be out of luck, because those with other Perun's would reject it, no matter what the paperwork.

It’s important to never forget that what we are discussing are color morphs, not species or sub-species. My take from the linked article is that even the ‘true’ Perun is a color morph. What does ‘months to color up’ mean? To me it means they morphed under lights different than what they had in the ocean, probably brighter and bluer. From what did they morph from? We have no pictures but I assume it was a red/brownish. So to say a polyp that does the same morph is not a ‘true’ one even though it looks EXACTLY the same is not being consistant.

It’s all money. Nobody who purchases a ‘true’ polyp for 50 (or whatever they go for) will accept a wild as ‘true’ no matter what. It devalues what they have, particularly if the ‘false’ grows fast. Conveniently the standards can change, it can be color, or growth speed, or if those match, it can be lineage. It keeps them ‘rare’. All the better if the dismissal is arbitrary.

At least when I take my PB great dane from the kitchen to the back yard it stays the same, no matter the lighting. He won’t switch from a brindle to a bi-color.

Not true for polyps.

nalbar
Old 12/16/2007, 05:06 PM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
It’s important to never forget that what we are discussing are color morphs, not species or sub-species. My take from the linked article is that even the ‘true’ Perun is a color morph. What does ‘months to color up’ mean? To me it means they morphed under lights different than what they had in the ocean, probably brighter and bluer. From what did they morph from? We have no pictures but I assume it was a red/brownish.
You are close to correct in the red/brownish but it is a different color and yes it is brighter and bluer light.

I should have some pictures of the transformation posted within a few weeks.

It is also has to be geographically the same polyp to get the exact morph. From what I have seen??

good luck
Old 12/20/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

Lets see some pictures.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:13 PM
Unregistered Member

this weekend
Old 12/20/2007, 01:49 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I'll post some crappy pics when I have time during christmas break

" Charles V "
Old 12/20/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Have any of you guys cut the flesh between 2 polyps of the PPEs? I did this recently, about 2-3 months ago. I just took my frag which had 6 polyps on it, and everywhere flesh was connecting polyps i sliced it with a razor blade. Within about 4 weeks i saw each polyp had 2 small little bumps at its base, and each of those bumps became a polyp. Now i have 12 polyps, and a few more newbies still forming.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:47 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Got pics of the process ?

" Charles V "
Old 12/20/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I don't, but several pics on this thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...ic=114057&st=0

One of my main guys to get corals from, www.totallyexoticcorals.com, mentioned it to me. He does this on his PPEs to get them to grow faster. I gave it shot and got the same result.

Give it a try and report back to me. Doesn't hurt he coral at all and you can't even tell they've been sliced.