Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Alright... I am tired of this... Options...

I cannot seem to maintain a calcium level of 400 or above or a dkh over 7-8... Calcium, even with dosing C Balance hovers at around 360... What are my options? I use Scripps water and it's Calcium is around 375... I don't really want to spend the money on a Reactor, so is Kalk the way to go... Please give me some optionsand the range of cost... Thank you...
Old 12/19/2007, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

Well, if you want to go the ultra-cheap route, kalkwasser itself is quite cheap, particularly if you can find it sold as pickling lime. I got a can of it for about $4. For a while I simply had a container of solution hooked up to an aqualifter (~$12) on a digital timer ($15) for a few minutes a day. Quick 'n dirty, but cheap.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:38 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
If you're trying to balance your calcium and alk, but it just isn't working, then you should check your magnesium. If your magnesium is low <1300, that could be why your water won't hold the calcium/alk.

Also, is C balance a 1 part, or 2 part additive? I would consider using 2 part (B-ionic, ESV 2 part, etc) to balance out your calcium and alk, and then once they're level (and held there with a higher magnesium) then you can use the kalk to keep the levels up. You should have no problem using kalk mixed in your topoff water to keep your alk and calcium balanced and maintained if you are keeping anything but very demanding, fast growing SPS stony corals.

BTW Kalk is great and easy to use once your calcium and alkalinity are balanced properly. Kalk will add perfectly proportionate ammounts of calcium and alkalinity, keeping them balanced. If you notice the balance shifting though, it's the demand of your corals.
Old 12/19/2007, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

Alright, so what is the best way to use kalk... Anyone have any good sites I could read up about it on... I will look into it... Thanks guys...
Old 12/19/2007, 02:16 AM
Our man in the East

I run Kalk through my auto top off.
I agree - you should test your magnesium
Old 12/19/2007, 03:18 AM
Unregistered Member

Is this in the 135? What do you have as far as calcerous corals? You should test Mg before you start trying anything else then choose a dosing scheme based on Ca consumption.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:17 AM
Carpe Noctem

Even running kalk, it's hard to up levels with it. You need to bring the levels up to a balanced state and then use kalk to maintain those levels. A good place to start reading is here and then move onto the rest of the chemistry articles in the sticky in the chemistry forum.

Also it is important to understand where your levels are at first and then how to get them to where you want and what products will affect what parameters. HTH.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

It is all explained in some detail in the reef chem forum. I had trouble bringing my calcium up with 2 part so I started dripping kalk through my ato. I started out by first raising my clcium level with turbo calcium,only takes a little. If you try and bring it up with 2 part it takes a ton. I also add a bit of turbo to my fresh mix to get the calcium up to par.Once you reach a good number the kalk should keep it in check. Make sure you understand what you are doing before you attempt it though,an overdose of kalk and everybody goes home in a body bag.
Old 12/20/2007, 12:52 PM
Unregistered Member

You have yet to explain what you have that is demanding so much Ca. If you aren't running an SPS tank there is likely another problem here.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shootist
Make sure you understand what you are doing before you attempt it though,an overdose of kalk and everybody goes home in a body bag.