Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

OT: paintball

Who Plays paintball?

Here is a picture of me playing in dallas with the gun:

Notice the pants falling off... still took out the last two people!

havent gotten a chance to play since I graduated last year but maybe when I move closer to the some fields I will start playing again

Last edited by kawicivic; 12/31/2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:01 AM
Tank Collector

I used to play NPPL myself.... that got expensive.

Last edited by badazztealcobra; 12/31/2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

O i did not know that.... oops
Old 12/31/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

yea paintball is expensive.... I don't play much anymore since my money tends to go into the big box instead. I kind of miss it but don't miss the drama of playing on a player run school team. Only good part of the deal was that we had some good sponsors.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:07 AM
Tank Collector

Nice save.....

I havent played in probably two years or so.... I kept all my gear though just because I cant bring myself to sell it all for basically nothing... My marker alone was $1500 without an air system or anything.... Add into that a complete set of ultralites, a maxflo air system, HALO, Tadao board, grips, blah, blah, blah.... You end up with ALOT of an investment and then people have the nerve to offer $300 for everything.... I would rather keep it for the memories then to sell it that cheap.

I now have a mortgage.... LAME.

We were sponsored by Zap so our Chronic was free at the events and we got paint at cost for practice.... Other than that, hotels and airfare for 5 events around the US got too expensive... I totalled it up after one year and I spent right around 15K between practice every weekend, going to events, eating, etc...

I only imagine the tank I couldve had or how much faster my car could be with that money, but I wouldnt trade it for the world.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

I did the car thing in high school so I had quite the rice mobile since I was broke.

I started paintball in college so was still broke but went through a bunch of different guns basically just trading and reselling. The ego was the last gun I shot but I like my ul'ed pm5 wayyy better and had a shocker and timmy in between those... I don't even think I used either of those two though.

We were sponsored by Nelson for paint when I was there and got it at cost most of the time (we piggybacked with a guy so we didnt have to pick up all the shipping either). We also planned a big game to pay our league fees. Then we had a hybrid sponsorship one year but lost it the last year. Hybrid gave us a bunch of nice stuff though. Our President had lots of connections in the industry and was head ref at our homefield so that made things easier too (free air and entry, off hour practices whenever we wanted, etc)

I lived it up i college and am paying for it now (which is how I planned it... I didnt see the point in living on next to nothing for four years that are supposed to be the "best 4 years" so I didnt. Now that I have found a "career" job, money won't be so tight.)

As for keeping my gear... I continue to watch as the prices fall and the new markers get so much lighter and faster. I figure if I start playing again a new gun would be essential (I hate being behind the technology curve).
Old 12/31/2007, 12:44 AM
Tank Collector

Im fine with my marker.... its old.... its heavy(ish), but shoots ropes. No new marker is going to shoot faster, and I think Ive broken a ball in it 2 times for the year and a half I was shooting it... With the tadao board and a board'ed halo, theres no need to get something new.... Who cares about weight, if I need a marker to be that light I should head to the gym anyways... plus im to slow to care about that anyway.

There were actually 3 of them on the team at one time... (mines the top one)

If you're wondering about the blue maxflos, its because at one point we made team markers, which were all blue... My buddy is a machinist so we milled the snot outta some raw autococker bodies and other parts... these things RIPPED but weren't as reliable as I would've liked...

Then my OLD school marker..... But still shot smooth as silk...

One of the guys I used to practice with used to play for ISU also... his names AJ.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

I started with a cocker.... I knew of two AJs that played for ISU but they both played the year before I started. I only played for two years.

Weight is not really an issue (I'm a big guy but I like small guns better for some reason)... the timmy was probably lighter than the ego but I really was a matrix guy. The only reason I got rid of the PM5 was that it randomly would have crazy drop off and the only way to fix it was to turn the lpr one way and then back to where it was. It was consistent even having to adjust the LPR that much and it shot so smooth and quick but you never knew when it was going to happen. Usually it was when I chronoed but occasionally it would be in the middle of a game.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

here is a pic of the shocker I found from an old pbnation post:

Old 12/31/2007, 01:00 AM
Tank Collector

My buddy is trying to unload his shocktech shocker actually..... I still have 2 DM3s.... My LED thats in a million pieces cause we milled it (i just need to ano it) and my Ironman.... I just cant bare myself to get rid of them.

Wasnt one of the AJs really tall ??? I knew the shorter one. His last name escapes me for some reason... He always had chops on his face and redish hair...
Old 12/31/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

I played with the tall one a couple time but recognize your description of the other one
Old 12/31/2007, 01:08 AM
Tank Collector

He was super AGG.

Damn california players with their weird terms...
Old 12/31/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

My 05 shocker was a maintenance nightmare. Loved the way it felt but would not go back with an SP gun. Love the ego, always wanted to get one...before this hobby came along. Those cockers bring back soem good memories.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
He was super AGG.

Damn california players with their weird terms...
its cuz they are ballas YO!.... they mow faces!!
Old 12/31/2007, 01:13 AM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by kawicivic
its cuz they are ballas YO!.... they mow faces!!

Are they all still ano'ing their markers to look like gucci and louis vuitton and all that junk ??? I havent even looked at pbnation in atleast a year and a half...
Old 12/31/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

yea they are doing that.... eclipse made too many 07 egos and offered all the class A college teams laser engraved markers at a decent discount.

They are making jerserys in burberry design and all that stuff too. It gives the sport its own fashion... makes people wonder what you are wearing and why. Also got the designers to crack down on pbnation for all of the fake sandannas being sold as designer
Old 01/01/2008, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

hi from milwaukee.

I was co capt for Stormfront, now i play for Stinger, made Atomix D1 psp but didnt go through with it, most of are players now play on Team Aftershock and shock kids and Chicago Farside.

Rollin on 10s
Old 01/01/2008, 09:19 PM
Tank Collector

WOW, long time no see Marcus.... We used to try to scrimmage with you guys all the time but I think we only got to a few times... I used to play for Team 665 Almost Evil...

Good to see you're still playing.... I might actually try to play again in the spring, but who knows if I'll be able to afford it with all these damn expensive hobbies...
Old 01/01/2008, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

nice, i still see HObbs once in awhile, yeah hobbies are exspensive.

Rollin on 10s
Old 01/01/2008, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

marker

lets see how old school some of you are
I played for awhile, on a few differnt teams. Started with pump play back in the day.

And this thing still smokes out

Old 01/01/2008, 11:40 PM
Tank Collector

Sandridge F5 correct ???
Old 01/02/2008, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

besides this forum, i'm on www.pbnation.com all the time. i am partners with a buddy. we have a shop in skokie.

i play paintball for the past 3 years and loving it so far. it is expensive but it's pass time away from ordinary life. i love it at this time.

i actually am the captain of a team. we play psp. it is hectic running a team when most players are 17-21 years of age and you are like the oldest one. but it fun to win and meet people.

if anyone would like to sell your marker at our store on consignment we do that. there is a 50 dollar fee. but you get to name your price we usually sell most guns we get on consignment. also if anyone need discount on gear paint and whatever i can also help out on that.

ANYTHING TO HELP THE COMMUNITY OUT.

here's a pic of me playing 10 MAN OLD SKOOL AT STALKER IN WISCONSIN
Old 01/02/2008, 09:23 AM
OT GODFATHER

Haven't played in about a year...i had a custom SFL cocker made, freak barrel system, halo hopper...started off back in the day playing with the pump guns also...

I hate all the electronic guns out there now...Spray and Pray is for suckers (lots of fun taking out electronic guns)

We saved money by becoming friends with field owners who in turn would let us play on our own at their fields for free. We also bought large compressed air tanks to refill and bought our paint online...
I can honestly say all the bad things that ever happened to me were directly attributed to drugs & alcohol. I mean I would never urinate at the Alamo at 9 o'clock in the morning dressed in a woman's evening dress sober. -Ozzy Osbourne
Old 01/02/2008, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

you got it... It's an old F5 snadridge, used to have the big nastey black box on the bottom, but I upgraded.

I love breaking out the pump and playing with it. done it a few times this year. hearing you can have the old guy with the pump, then go out a lightem up. makes for a good day.

Tony,
Foxpaintball last year done some cocker only games, no ele. lots of fun, broke out the FreeFlow.

But there is days were 16+ is lots of fun too, have a AKA for that.

I understand be the old guy on the team, makes it fun at times, some of the kids, I played with, and coched are playing for IL now.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

sudden impact (its in Funks Grove right outside of bloomington) has a huge pump only event every spring.