Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

diy rimless aquarium?

has anyone fabricated their own rimless? I was hoping to get some diy advice, instruction, or website links. would love to see a few pics as well if anyone wants to share their experiences. i plan to build a 65 wide rimless in the near future.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

i made this myself from 3/4" thick.i am on lunch and have to leave but ill answer any questions after i get back home.
24x24x14 rimless approx 30g

Old 01/04/2008, 02:14 PM
Team RC Member

Nice acrylic tank there. Do you have any idea what's the largest rimless tank one can make out of 3/4" acrylic? I have a sheet of 3/4" and planning to make it 18-20" tall but not sure how long or deep I can go.
Old 01/04/2008, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

very nice tank, especially the outside overflow box. your tank was the first i've seen with that kind of overflow. i was hoping to make one out of glass. do you have any advice on a glass build?
Old 01/04/2008, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

very nice tank checkinhawk, especially the outside overflow box. your tank was the first i've seen with that kind of overflow. i was hoping to make one out of glass. do you have any advice on a glass build?
Old 01/04/2008, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dattack
Nice acrylic tank there. Do you have any idea what's the largest rimless tank one can make out of 3/4" acrylic? I have a sheet of 3/4" and planning to make it 18-20" tall but not sure how long or deep I can go.
At 14" tall and 48" long I get no bowing what so ever with 3/4 so I would think you could go taller.

Don
Old 01/04/2008, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I'm building a rimless tank 25"x21"x15" with 1/2" glass and RTV103 silicone. I am building it with a double bottom(a little like Elos) and external overflow out of 3/8" glass. I haven't started yet as I just build the stand but just make sure that the silicone has a nice bead, tape things off(if you want nice clean edges) and alot of patience and a helper.

I would stick with glass because acrylic will lose is clarity after about 3-4 months

Even in failure, your only a failure when you quite trying.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dattack
IMO i wouldnt go much taller than the 14" i went on a 24"x24" side walls.i do have a very slight bow(barely a bow but it bows).if the tank was smaller than 24" sides then you could go taller than the 14".
Old 01/04/2008, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrockwater
very nice tank checkinhawk, especially the outside overflow box. your tank was the first i've seen with that kind of overflow. i was hoping to make one out of glass. do you have any advice on a glass build?
i dont work with glass so i cant give you any advise on thinkness or how to build it.the external overflow is getting to be common on alot of custom tanks so i figured id do one on this tank.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Giga
I would stick with glass because acrylic will lose is clarity after about 3-4 months
simply not true,quality cast acrylic wont lose clarity in 3-4 months.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Giga, could you describe (or maybe show pics of too) the double bottom? is it some kind of bracing?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

I'll describe it to you. the bottom pane is 1/2" think and is 25"x21" then a piece of 3/8" glass is siliconed on top of that piece that is 23-7/8"x19-7/8". Then the sides are put on top of the 1/2" piece and don't totally but up against the 3/8". There is about 1/16" of room for the silicone on any of the sides on the inside piece of glass. With this design you will have Tensile and adhesive strength. This may be way over kill but I've had a long time to come up with this and it's rock solid.

I'm sorry but glass is just a better choice in my opinion, because acrylic will lose it clarity and get micro scratches. Seen this over and over no matter how good a quality the acrylic is.

Old 01/07/2008, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by checkinhawk
i made this myself from 3/4" thick.i am on lunch and have to leave but ill answer any questions after i get back home.
24x24x14 rimless approx 30g

VERY NICE

How did you make it look so neat using the silicone?
Old 01/07/2008, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

thats acrylic and you use weld-on silicone doesn't hold to acrylic well

Old 01/07/2008, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Browns
VERY NICE

How did you make it look so neat using the silicone?
weld on 40 for all the joints and hours of hand polishing to make it shine.i taped off all the glue joints before glueing then peeled the tape after i glued the pieces together(before the WO40 dries)