Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 12:01 PM
On "The List"

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/31/2007, 12:07 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
I would suggest you have a talk with the police, so somebody has it on record there's a problem. I'd suggest you think through what you'd do if somebody invaded your house. But don't think of shooting somebody on your patio. That doesn't count as house.

If the cops are watching your neighbors, your info might actually be valuable to them.

And talking to some of your more reliable neighbors, comparing notes, and getting together with the cops---[we actually had a neighborhood meeting with the police in one neighborhood I was in] can help focus suspicion where it belongs. When we all met we discovered some apparently suspicious behaviors weren't [two cousins lived across the street from each other and were trading supervision of each others' teens] and we discovered we had gun-running activity behind us, including shots fired through a window from a car driving across the BACK lawn. The cops did get them. And the cops knowing who was what in the neighborhood I think was a help to them, too.
I wouldn't shoot someone on the patio if I'm in the house.

A Google of their address just now shows a domestic violence arrest last month.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/31/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cwegescheide
We had a peeping Tom once.. We were having dinner and a guy was peeping in my sisters window. The neighbor called and said we had somebody peeping in the window. My dad DROPPED the phone and sprinted to the gun cabinet. There was a 10 acre field behind the house which the guy was running across. Dad shot at him a few times with his .357. The sherrif came and he told us if he would have hit him bring him in the house to make it look like an intruder. TRUE STORY.

This was probably 20yrs ago though. Never forget it. What a trip.
Great story. Unfortunately if that was New York, your father would be on trial for attempted murder or something. For some reason many folks think its a crime to protect your family.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

We had a peeping tom once, I was sitting in a chair with my back turned to the window ( It was superbowl sunday a few years back) But any way, I turned around and somebody ran down the stairs and everybody was in!
A few weeks later,It may have been before though,my neighbor was in her house and she walked into the kitchen and somebody was looking in her window!
Later still the same neighbor was turning onto our road from the other road, and somebody tried to get into her car!
Tell us more about the back of your house, like are there any more houses, what is it like behing your house(where you found the foot prints). Did the roofers smoke? If so what kind? You said your dog was gone for a week, correct, Would'nt you have been on the patio a few times in a week?
I'll kick them all in the wazoo!
Old 12/31/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Mike, until you can determine if someone was in your backyard recently, maybe let your dogs out the front door on leashes for a while until you figure out what you are dealing with. I know it's a girly way of looking at things, but I would feel so bad if something happened to your dogs. PUNKS.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:28 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by jejton
Great story. Unfortunately if that was New York, your father would be on trial for attempted murder or something. For some reason many folks think its a crime to protect your family.
But if you were in NY, you could get batguano to defend you!

YAY! Where's my shootin' gun?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:37 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjfishman
Tell us more about the back of your house, like are there any more houses, what is it like behing your house(where you found the foot prints). Did the roofers smoke? If so what kind? You said your dog was gone for a week, correct, Would'nt you have been on the patio a few times in a week?
I don't know about the roofers. I was never here while they were here. Yes, I go out back every day to smoke (different kind than what I've been finding) so I'm pretty sure I would have noticed the blood before.

It's a basic yard, but this shows what kind of fence I have:

There's a wash right on the other side of this part of the fence that runs up between all those other houses. That's where the footprints are. All of those houses have block walled-in yards.

And here are a couple of the blood drips on the patio:

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
Old 12/31/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

^ Yes, indeed. I am always available for such inconveniences...

Sorry Mike, this was meant to follow Dewizum's post. Light up your yard like Sun Devil Stadium. Nobody wants to hang out and think nefarious thoughts in the light.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

can we have a pic of the wash?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:42 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by Satori
a wash
Are you from PA?
Old 12/31/2007, 12:43 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
can we have a pic of the wash?
I would have to carry the step ladder back out there to see over the fence, so, no.

Old 12/31/2007, 12:44 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht
Are you from PA?
How about arroyo. That's more geograpically representative.

Old 12/31/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Mike, we had a problem with a possible stalker/disgruntled client earlier this year. My house backs up to a wooded lot. I found a remote security light that operates on solar power at The Home Depot and I put a few of them up in the trees ( I had to mount the solar panels on a galvanized pole and raise them above the tree canopy). It inconveniences the wildlife a little, but it has kept people out of the woods. It's like an episode of The Fugitive if anyone walks back there, lights popping on as they dart through! It's pretty amusing!

Old 12/31/2007, 12:52 PM
forever newbie

My daughter and I had a peeping tom too. The cops also told my bf to shoot the p. tom and drag him in the house before calling the cops. Eventually we found out that he was the son of a woman I had met while I was in the hospital. A couple of yrs. later this same guy raped a 3 yr. old boy and was sentenced to prison where he was later murdered.
If I was your wife I would be freaking. Call the cops and let them know what is going on. Above all, keep your gun in the closet.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:56 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
Above all, keep your gun in the closet.
I keep it closer than that.

Quote:
My daughter and I had a peeping tom too. The cops also told my bf to shoot the p. tom and drag him in the house before calling the cops. Eventually we found out that he was the son of a woman I had met while I was in the hospital. A couple of yrs. later this same guy raped a 3 yr. old boy and was sentenced to prison where he was later murdered.
If I was your wife I would be freaking. Call the cops and let them know what is going on.
That's terrible.

Old 12/31/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If I was your wife I would be freaking. Call the cops and let them know what is going on. Above all, keep your gun in the closet.
Yes, definitely put the police in the know. They can increase patrols in your neighborhood. I can't imagine they would be put out by this. Most rural or suburban po's are looking for something do do during the midnight to eight shifts. And, like I said, light it up. Lights and cameras are a good defense. Shooting someone is more likely going to put you in a world of hurt, legally and psychologically (shooting the neighbor's truant kid won't sit well with you over time). Best wishes.

Old 12/31/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

WAIT I have an idea, when (date) were the prints and butts found? now lets pretend it's that day. When did it last rain? What date were the roofers there? technically if it had rained recently before they were found, and between the roofers being there and when they were found they would have deteriated so if it had rained recently before finding them you should be able to tell the aproxamate age. If it didn't rain then that won't work.
forever newbie

Yes, it was a terrible time for us. My daughter and I lived in an upstairs apartment with no steps on the outside of the house. I had to unlock the backdoor and then go up the steps. The cops were called numerous times and all they could figure out was the perp used some type of grappling hook. During all this I was involved in a terrible car accident and had to recuperate at my parents house which was over 40 miles away. The damn perp followed me there too
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by batguano
Yes, definitely put the police in the know. They can increase patrols in your neighborhood. I can't imagine they would be put out by this. Most rural or suburban po's are looking for something do do during the midnight to eight shifts. And, like I said, light it up. Lights and cameras are a good defense. Shooting someone is more likely going to put you in a world of hurt, legally and psychologically (shooting the neighbor's truant kid won't sit well with you over time). Best wishes.
I would only shoot someone if they were IN my house. It's not something that I look on lightly.

I've thought about putting a light pole out by the back fence that would light up that part of the wash.

Old 12/31/2007, 01:06 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
WAIT I have an idea, when (date) were the prints and butts found? now lets pretend it's that day. When did it last rain? What date were the roofers there? technically if it had rained recently before they were found, and between the roofers being there and when they were found they would have deteriated so if it had rained recently before finding them you should be able to tell the aproxamate age. If it didn't rain then that won't work.
It has rained since the roofers were here. Some butts look weathered, some look fresh.

Old 12/31/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Ok, so technically all of the butts should be weathetred if they came from the roofers, right.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:26 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Ok, so technically all of the butts should be weathetred if they came from the roofers, right.
Yeah, technically, but I've seen cigarette butts that look pretty fresh even after months, especially in rock yards. They can get buried and protected, and come to the surface when walked on.

Old 12/31/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Alright Mike, I've been driving down from Phoenix everynight and peeping on you!! I just need a place to smoke!! My leg really hurts from getting it stuck on your fence. Ya think you could leave that back gate open for a girl? Jeese!! just kidding. Kinda scary. Hope you find out what's going on before something bad happens
Old 12/31/2007, 01:57 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Here's what I would do. Stay outside by the fence ALL NIGHT smoking cigarettes. When the intruder comes up to you, tell him that this is your turf, but say it like you're Clint Eastwood.
Old 12/31/2007, 02:01 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by buffalobunch
Alright Mike, I've been driving down from Phoenix everynight and peeping on you!! I just need a place to smoke!! My leg really hurts from getting it stuck on your fence. Ya think you could leave that back gate open for a girl? Jeese!! just kidding. Kinda scary. Hope you find out what's going on before something bad happens
Phwew, I thought it might be someone unfriendly!