Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2003, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Question fish by mail?

Is ordering fish via the internet safe/recommended? If so, what are some good sites? Please help...Burnz87
Old 09/10/2003, 09:45 PM
to impatient 4 this hobby

I havent bought any from online vendors directly, but a number of people here have recommended www.LiveAquaria.com and they are a sponsor.
I did just get a Flame Angel but I got it from the not so LFS (1 hour away) but it came from supplier then to LFS then to me. The LFS never opened her just put her in a tank in her bag.
Old 09/10/2003, 09:55 PM
Cowboy Reefer

I have gotten fish from www.saltwaterfish.com I was really happy with them and the fish were in great shape. Everything was eating that night.

Tom
Old 09/10/2003, 09:59 PM
Moved On

Common sense tells us that it is always better to be able to see a fish before you buy it.
If a fish is thin, has cloudy eyes, has spots or tears you can pass on the fish. It is most important to actually see a fish eating before you buy one.
In newly established tanks it is best to only add one fish at a time one month apart. Unless you are buying other stuff at the same time the economics of shipping one fish isn't there.

REEForm: Never buy a fish from the Philippines or Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant.
Old 09/11/2003, 05:05 AM
Musical Member

^ ^ Maybe I have no common sense. ^ ^

I bought mine from www.saltwaterfish.com and was very pleased with them. The fish are still thriving and growing.
Old 09/11/2003, 06:30 AM
to impatient 4 this hobby

Quote:
Originally posted by naesco
REEForm: Never buy a fish from the Philippines or Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant.
Highly illegal and most suppliers dont buy from the know capturing companies that were known for use of cyanide in capturing the fish.
Old 09/14/2003, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Arite guys, thanks. I'm gonna wait awhile though. I just bought a blue girdled angel, a clown trigger, and a hippo tang. I'm gonna work on keeping them alive before I decide to purchase any more....Burnz87
Old 09/14/2003, 10:28 PM
hobbyist

Quote:
Originally posted by burnz87
Arite guys, thanks. I'm gonna wait awhile though. I just bought a blue girdled angel, a clown trigger, and a hippo tang. I'm gonna work on keeping them alive before I decide to purchase any more....Burnz87
Red flag! How large is your tank? Did you purchase all of these fish at the same time? How long has the tank been set up? These are important considerations when adding certain species, particularly angels. I'd also be concerned about compatibility. How large are each of these fish? You might have to "work" at keeping them alive. Give more info on your set up.
Old 09/19/2003, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

the tank is 175 gallons, 6 feet long. the angel is the only angel in the tank and is about 8 inches long. the clown trigger is very young, maybe 2-3 inches, and the hippo is medium size- about 4-5 inches long. any suggestions/comments...??
Old 09/20/2003, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

There are alot of sites out there... Try

www.bluereefaquatics.com