Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 12:55 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Carol, remind me...do you do stained glass?
Old 12/11/2007, 02:11 PM
Underground Art Studio

Hey Marcye, No I do fused glass. Which is just as it's seems - glass fired at a very high temperature ( around 1500 degs) and permanently fused together.

Here's a sample of what can be made with fused glass. This work is by one of the renowned glass artist : Narcissus Quagliata

http://www.bullseyegallery.com/Artis...?ArtistsID=291
Old 12/11/2007, 02:45 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Wow! Do you have any samples of your work? I ask because I want to do two small glass panels in the front of my canopy. I think it would be gorgeous with the LED light from behind spilling through. What do you think? I was going to do two panels of the "milky" (not sure if there is a different term for it) stained glass, not transparent. I have to make a decision fairly soon as the cabinets are in the works. Any insight from a pro would be greatly appreciated. Do you see any problems with this idea?
Old 12/11/2007, 03:25 PM
Underground Art Studio

This is just me opinion and I'm trying to be objective . So here it goes - with fusible glass no other products are used - you just wipe it off and it's clean. With stained glass they normally use either lead or copper for the seams - I don't want that near my tank - that is my opinion. On the other side - just like my front door that has stained glass - you can protect the seams by adding a "glass shield" on the front and back. This way none of the chemicals from the stained glass would get into your tank. But glass is heavy and with three sheets of glass - ??? See that was easy . With fusible glass you can cut the area out just like normal glass inserts and put it in - want to change it - turn the little stops that holds it in and switch glass pieces. This is what I'm going to be doing with my area under my tank and also above. I hope this helps - here's some old work that I've done - I just purchased a new large kiln so now I can start doing large panels.

http://www.undergroundartstudio.com/
Old 12/11/2007, 03:33 PM
Underground Art Studio

Oh - I forgot - there are three different types of "normal" glass. Transparent, Opaque and clear, then they have mixtures which are fantastic - one is called white streaky and combined with another color would give you a very "milky way" look.

Here's the link to bullseye glass catalog - it's the only glass I use:http://www.bullseyeglass.com/products/
Old 12/11/2007, 03:53 PM
Underground Art Studio

Here's an old canopy panel I did over a year ago - not the best but as my first attempt it was OK. It's very hard to make animals, people etc in regular glass and that is what I was trying to do. Now they have a new technique called painting with light - it's like painting with glass as it's very fine glass. hope this helps and looking back at my old art peices - I need to up date that site big time!

Old 12/11/2007, 10:26 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

We need to talk! I love those panels!
Old 12/11/2007, 11:53 PM
SPS Freak

Really cool build. I really like that glass though. Definetly cool stuff.

I'm amazed at the amount of plumbing used. Wow.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:58 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Carol, this link is an idea of what I am looking for. Imagine just two panels about 18" long. I'm thinking of the area with the most color, with the green swirls. I think that would compliment the lotus stained glass window nicely. What do you think? Is this a major project to have done?

http://www.rdwglass.co.uk/12801/12855.html
Old 12/12/2007, 06:39 AM
Underground Art Studio

jay24k - Yes the plumbing is everywhere in my fish room and being 2" takes up a lot of space. It's a good thing I used 2" PVC as I don't think anything smaller would have handled the water flow.

Thanks about the glass - that was my first attempt at making inserts for tank canopies. I really think we need to start take our designs to the next level and make them flow with our living space. It's hard at time being on a budget but just little things can change a so, so look into something of beauty.

Once I get all this plumbing, lighting etc finished the real fun will begin. I have a lot of woodworking, clay work and glass work that will be part of my build design. I just hope everything comes together good.
Old 12/12/2007, 06:57 AM
Underground Art Studio

Marcye - that is no problem at all and it's funny that is very close to what I want for panels under my tank. I wanted a grass kind of look as if that was the bottom of the ocean (grass area). You want them 18" long, how wide do you think?

BTW - I love those LED Solaris lighting over your tank. Your build is coming along great!

=========================
Please - this is part of both of our builds and just something I do. I believe the design of our canopies/stands are just as important as our plumbing, electric, tanks etc. I want to make my build and it appears Marcye also wants to make her build, part of her living space and have everything flow together - this is just as hard if not harder than other aspects of our builds. I hope no one is offended with our design talk .
Old 12/12/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

I love your "not the best" attempt on the glass.. looks great
Old 12/12/2007, 08:59 AM
Underground Art Studio

I can do modern - contemporary designs but when it comes to putting/making fish on glass it gets very tough. I'm working at it thought and I think at some point I have it down - but you know I'll never be satisfied with it .

How's your build coming? I tested some tints on the maple but didn't like it - way to yellow for me. I'm going to mix up some other tints to get the color I think I'll like and you'll like.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:44 AM
Patient Reefer

Carol, I'm also going to use Maple for all my woodwork. I originally wanted Mahogany, but my cabinet guy who's going to "help" me with with the woodwork recommended Maple. He said that red and black Mahogany stains look great on Maple. I'm looking for a "red Mahogany" look.
Post some pics of your test strips.
Also, don't worry about anyone getting offended by your design talk. It's part of who you are and what you do, and it adds a different wave to your thread.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:05 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Wow, we're all thinking the same. I'm also doing maple but using Black walnut mixed with red mahogany. Comes up nice without the orange cast I was getting with some of the others.

Carol your art is amazing! I agree with mflamb...your design talk adds so much to this thread and makes it that much more interesting! Gotta get to the airport, but watch for a PM later.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:33 AM
Underground Art Studio

Hey - thanks for backing me up and I'm glad everyone wants to talk the whole design including wood, glass, clay whatever it takes to make our systems part of our living space.

well I took some photos and will have them up shortly. I used Honey Amber TransTint as my base and now I'm thinking just a touch of either the black Mahogany or Black Walnut to tone it down just a little. I'm going with a very light color of tint as everything including my kitchen will be light colored maple.

I'll post some pics in a bit
Old 12/15/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

I think we all have the deisre to be alittle artist in all of us.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/16/2007, 03:18 PM
Underground Art Studio

Eric, yes I think so also at least we all try. I love what you've done with your build - very nice.

Here's an update on the leak I was having - it's fixed! I just needed to load up on the tape and once I did that the leak stopped and I was also able to move the Venturi so it pointed up.

Here are some photo of the maple I've tinted - little to yellow so today I'll get a new mix up and see if I can tone it down a bit:

The mad scientist at work .

In this sample the first strip is plan maple without tints, next is 1/4 strength, next is full strength and the last is double strength. On the top is from a can - way to red.

This is - plan with the half strength - I like the 1/4 strength so far.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:26 PM
Underground Art Studio

This is what I finished today - got the lights up (4 - T5's) over the Infinity tank - I love the look and will fit nicely with our living area.

Finally things are starting to come together!

Little closer look at the Infinity.

This is looking through the front of the Infinity ( all acrylic tank). Even with the water overflowing the sides the view is extremely clear.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Looks great Carol, I still think that tank should have went home with me. LOL
Old 12/16/2007, 09:11 PM
Patient Reefer

SWEET!!! What's going in there?
Old 12/16/2007, 09:27 PM
Moved On

nice setup!
Old 12/16/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Haha you finally got that one running ah?? I want one of those tanks so bad. Maybe soon!
Old 12/17/2007, 01:32 AM
SPS Freak

Looks good. I like the middle stain personally. Not too light and not too dark.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:45 AM
Underground Art Studio

Hey everyone - THANK YOU! I just can't stop looking at it. Later my plan is to attach a handmade table that follows the curve. We'll be able to sit and eat and watch everything. I figured it could be a sort of a "diet plan" because we'll be to busy looking at the tank and not eat .

Jason, yes I'm a little torn between the two but I have a 6 step process I go through with the tint and seal. I know it will darken more. I'll have to finish the pieces to be sure.

NewNanoDude - Yeah now I have something for you to see when you come over!

I'm hoping by the end of the week I'll have enough finished to start adding the 7 - blue/green chromis and 4 - yellow wrasse to the 280. It cycled some time ago, but I need to get my lights up and screens to cover it in place first.