Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2003, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Stocking a 75 gal tank - what first??

Hi all-

I'm completing the cycle on my 75gal tank. Cylce was with LR, LS and a few krill for 2-3 days to start. Nitrite is breaking and I'm wanting to get started adding things in the next week or so.

Soooo, I'm asking the experts (ya'll) what to add to the tank, and which order to add. I had a tank several years ago with anom., clown, snowflake eel, and a few blenny's. Seemed to do great, but I only had it about a year before I had to move and sell the setup - it was a 30 long with undergravel, powerhead and an external diatom filter - yes this was years ago.

I hear that I need a cleaner kit, dunno where to get one. I think I need some weeds of some sort for macro, but there's alot of opinions in this both ways it seems, and at some point I want the cool stuff to look at.

More about the tank - 45 lbs Figi LR, some cured but mostly in the tank. 20 lbs LS, 20 lbs black sand (looked cool) and another 10 lbs to give me about 1" coverage - yeah, I hear about DSB and there's the camp that likes less. I decided I can add more later if needed - at least thats what I think now, enlighten me if I'm misguided. Has a Precision Marine skimmer, and sump with a few hundred bio-balls - yes, I will pull these periodically and clean in FW to prevent the nitrite buildup.

There it is boys, lemme know the best way to go and I'll post the pic's once I get it loaded.

Dave

BTW - if you know of good sources for stuff you suggest lemme know this as well
Old 09/08/2003, 05:29 PM
Max Reefer

You seem to be on the right track; first I would go with a cleanup crew for the first month (after cycled of course). You should have already (or by now started) a wish list. Depending on that list is what will need to be done to your tank to prepare for them. Just remember, singles or pairs each month, less dominant to most dominant, 3 months at least before first demanding creature, 6 months before first anemone, and SPS after a year (sooner if you are well experienced). That of course is my school of thought according to everything I have studied to this day, but that isn’t very fun is it.
Old 09/08/2003, 05:42 PM
dreaming of a 480

For a cleanup crew check out http://www.justphish.com

As to the bioballs, why have them at all if you're gonna pull them and wash them in FW? Once they've started to process A/N and you wash them seems like you're needlessly risking, at the very, least a mini-cycle. And in a 75 with 65 lbs LR and no DSB, it could be a very substantial cycle each time you wash them.

Cheers,
Dave Johnson
Old 09/08/2003, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveJohnson
For a cleanup crew check out http://www.justphish.com

As to the bioballs, why have them at all if you're gonna pull them and wash them in FW? Once they've started to process A/N and you wash them seems like you're needlessly risking, at the very, least a mini-cycle. And in a 75 with 65 lbs LR and no DSB, it could be a very substantial cycle each time you wash them.

Cheers,
Dave Johnson
Thanks, good point I think I may want to make the change from BB right now !!!

Havent been to stores in SA, do you have some good spots in town with things from the gulf??
Old 09/08/2003, 10:44 PM
Moved On

The best way to go Dangelow is sloooooow.
Wait 60 days before you add your first fish. Spend the time checking out fish on www.wetwebmedia.com and reading about stuff in the fish forum.
Look at www.reefkeeping.com for advice as well.
Choose easy fish first.
Add only one fish at a time and get advice each time before you buy.
The biggest mistake is loading up your tank, eh.

REEForm: Never buy your fish from the Philippines or Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant.
Old 09/08/2003, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

I'm inclined to agree with ditching the bioballs. Your rock and sand are your best filter, IMHO. And speaking of sand, there are some organisms that just won't live in shallow sand. For all the time I have owned my reef my sand bed has been just as cool as any other part of it. I can spend hours peering at the sides of the sandbed with a magnifier watching worms and tiny brittle stars and slugs and all kinds of freaky little things running around. A good healthy sandbed will also create plankton to help feed your corals. I would suggest that another 3" of sand would give you a great deal of entertainment and benefit your tank. YOu can surely run your tank without it...But I never would after seeing mine. My starter sand came from TBSaltwater.com and it was incredibly alive. Even had tiny burrowing cukes in it.

There is a tiny, cheap booklet called 'Sandbed Secrets' which has some amazing and well-written info on sandbeds. I think dollar for dollar it is one of the more informative books I have picked up since I started to study reefing.
Old 09/09/2003, 11:02 AM
dreaming of a 480

Quote:
Originally posted by dangelow
Havent been to stores in SA, do you have some good spots in town with things from the gulf??
Nothing from the gulf that I'm aware of at any stores here.

I usually go to Texas Tropicals on 410. Knowledgable people and usually a decent selection, though sometimes light on inverts.

Darby's (just south of New Braunfels) has just increased their SW selection and they are very good and knowledgable, though sometimes pricey.

I also go to Alamo Aquatics once in a while. Much larger store but sometimes they have basically zero SW fish and about no inventory ever for inverts (and it's 15 minutes further from my house making it extra frustrating when they have next to nothing in the tanks)

Every great while, if I have a Thursday afternoon off, I'll stop by Fintique (SW fish come in that day and 25% off - still in bags) but parking is a nightmare and the store is always incredibly crowded.

If anyone else is aware of any other SW store in SA, please let me know!

Cheers,
Dave Johnson