Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/06/2003, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Just Lost "Nemo"!!!!

A few minutes ago my small False Perc got sucked through the overflow and was pinned next to the pre-filter. By the time I got him out it was too late. I was able to get him out and back into the tank but he never recovered. He twitched a few but that was it...I only had him a week and a half.

If anyone's got a drink in hand...here's to "Nemo"!

I'm definitely going to replace him. Should I get a bigger one or a smaller one than the one I have left? What would have a better chance of pairing up?

Thx.
Old 09/06/2003, 11:57 PM
Eternal Newbie

Sorry to hear about that. Will have a drink to Nemo.
Before buying another, you may want to cover your overflow with something that would prevent any fish from the same fate.

"Live Long and Propagate."
Old 09/07/2003, 12:23 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

1st off NEVER EVER NEVER call a clown a "NEMO" that is your 1st mistake..

ok sorry about the tangent but that just pi$$es me off. we have had enough discussions about the impact of that movie to the hobbie and IMO NOTHING good comes out of calling them "nemo" it is associated w/ negative things IMO

sorry about your loss, i hope you can fix the problem so another clown doesn't get whacked.

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 09/07/2003, 01:03 AM
Deaf Reefer

isnt nemo a 'true perc' not false one ?
Windows for Solitaire
Old 09/07/2003, 01:21 AM
uhhhh....???

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
1st off NEVER EVER NEVER call a clown a "NEMO" that is your 1st mistake..

ok sorry about the tangent but that just pi$$es me off. we have had enough discussions about the impact of that movie to the hobbie and IMO NOTHING good comes out of calling them "nemo" it is associated w/ negative things IMO

sorry about your loss, i hope you can fix the problem so another clown doesn't get whacked.

Lunchbucket
I dont understand...why say that? Nemo is just a kids movie and unfortunately it attracts irresponsible aquarium keepers. There are movies that have explicit language and violence that effect also irresponsible people. Lets not degrade, finally a movie that has a great story line. I get upset too; I was just at the lfs store today and heard a little girl begging for a nemo sorry clown fish. Lets focus the attention on where it is needed and that is educating the people that wish to keep a nemo. So tired of this movie debate!! There I’m done.

-Duu it!
Old 09/07/2003, 01:58 AM
Über-Reefers

I was slightly annoyed when I saw this threads title as well. When you use the name Nemo to refer to a clown, you are automatically red flagging every serious aquarist on the bulletin board that you're in the hobby for that movie, and secretly anyone who's a committed aquarist hates that concept. Now I don't truly know for what reasons you entered the hobby rgeisz, but when your soliciting the BB for help, try and avoid bringing up a topic that everyone hates. If you do purchase another fish, install some sort of grate on that filter intake. If you want a really good answer to this question, post your query in the clownfish anemone forum. Actually, try out the search option in that forum first. I'm positive you'll get many threads which are duplicates asking your same question.

-Meg
Old 09/07/2003, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lunchbucket
[B]1st off NEVER EVER NEVER call a clown a "NEMO" that is your 1st mistake..

RELAX...it's just a fellow reefer asking for advice..Nemo, omen, whatever..it's just a name & he obviously already feels bad about the loss.
Old 09/07/2003, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

Definitly put a gaurd on the over flow and then if you are going to replace it get one that is larger than your current one, if you get a smaller one the original one might bully
Old 09/07/2003, 02:36 AM
Premium Member

rgeisz - Here's the info you wanted on
pairing clownfish

Now about "Nemo":
I am with Joe. The movie did inspire some irresponsible fish keeping, highlighted by a travesty on CBS, thanks to Tetra. But I don't think you have to assume every person with a fish named Nemo is a bumbling idiot with blue tangs in a 7 gallon fish tank.

Nemo is just a name, that happens to come from a clownfish character in a kid's movie. It is a cute movie about the love between father and son. If you didn't like it, I am sorry. Some people did. It doesn't mean they are complete idiots, those irresponsible fish owners wouldn't even be on ReefCentral looking for advice and information. If someone is here looking for advice, doesn't that make them somewhat responsible?

Lunchbucket - I have read many of your other posts, and respect your opinion. This is truly not meant as a personal attack. Just my opinion.

Zepplin - you say that "serious aquarists" are offended by someone getting into the hobby because of the movie. We all got in for different reasons. I saw a GSMaroon in 1993 in a display tank at an LFS while shopping for my freshwater tanks; I thought she was the most beautiful fish I had ever seen. Everybody has their own reasons, one is not better than the other or any less serious if it done correctly. If someone is here, they are moving in the right direction.

It is so easy to be critical of other people. I apologize right now if this offends any of you, I don't mean it to. I think we all need to open our minds a bit. The serious aquarist attitude can and will offend some people. They won't come back to learn from people that have more experience. Then, what good is that? The Nemo craze becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Serious aquarists won't help newbies because they aren't serious enough and then they fail. Where with a little help, they could have suceeded and become just a "serious" as you.

Edit: I promise I will never address the NEMO subject again. Just needed to get a little off my chest. Just read it again...these arguements have been made before, and will be made again. I am not sure if it does any good. We are all entitled to our opinions.
Erika

Have you flushed your membrane lately?
Old 09/07/2003, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

If your current one was the biggest between the two ones you had then it's a female so you should get a smaller one from a tank with two many clowns in that are bigger than him this way you'll be getting a male. he will get beat up by your clown but hopefully he'll submit to her and that's the way it goes if you get a bigger one he will not submit easily and the beating will continue. If the current one you have is the smallest of the two original ones then you have a male so you should either get a bigger one quick for him not to turn into a female with time, or get a bigger one that supposably is a female or will turn into one as it dominates the one you have that is smaller. i think that male clowns will turn into females if they are bigger than their partners but a female clown cannot turn into a male one. how long did you have yours before one of them died? they need time to establish their sexes.
Old 09/07/2003, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

I only had my Clowns for 1.5 weeks so I don't if they had time to establish their sex yet. The remaining Clown was the larger of the two...

To everyone that had a negative comment regarding me using the name "Nemo" needs to lighten up! There's no need for it. I was feeling really bad about my Clown dying because I couldn't save him in time. I came here for advice, not to get bashed. For what it's worth I didn't get into this hobby because of the movie. I got into it because I love fish. I've spent countless hours trying to set up the best possible environment for my fish/inverts/corals/etc. to thrive. This was my first loss. Now I'm trying to replace him in the most responsible manner I can. There are so many great people with tremendously helpful advice on this website. Unfortunately there are too many people that think they're the only responsible reefers and enjoy trying to make other people feel like crap. I've seen it time and time again here where someone is looking for advice from someone who's been there before, only to get verbally abused!

Anyway, thanks again to all that had helpful advice regarding my question. To the others...CHILL OUT!
Old 09/07/2003, 08:54 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

oh great opened a great can of worms here

i really don't want people to get mad at the comments i made earlier just as others don't want some getting mad at calling a clown nemo

i just wanted to thow in some personal advice of calling a clown fish a nemo...this could spark something you didn't need on this board. it was a great movie i loved it but then w/ the whole tetra thing that just blew the hobby into a place that un-knowledgable people could jump in. i am sorry for 1/2way assuming you might have been in this group....i realize now that you are not and would like to just care you animals in the best way possible.

i truely hope your next clown lives a long and happy existance in your tank.

Quote:
There are so many great people with tremendously helpful advice on this website. Unfortunately there are too many people that think they're the only responsible reefers and enjoy trying to make other people feel like crap.
i HOPE you are not implying me here? i try to help everyone w/ an open mind and RARELY post w/ this much emotion unless it is something i believe in or dislike.

hope bout w/ just drop the nemo talk and focus on the clown like i could/should have in the 1st place

we all cool?
Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 09/07/2003, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

I agree CHILL OUT!!!!! There are so many things we could argure over ( acres and acres of animals being raised just so we can grab a burger) Give me a break!
Old 09/07/2003, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Anyway....good luck with your remaining NEMO, and lots of luck adding an additional NEMO. Definately take the advice of those who have said to do something about the overflow. I have no doubt that you are doing everything possible to create a good environment for those NEMOS. I am currently thinking of getting a couple of NEMOS for my tank, but I have too many sps's in there that I would hate to get stung by an anemone. I should have thought of that before setting up my tank. Again good luck on NEMO proofing your overflow, and hopefully your pair of NEMOS will bring you many years of eventful watching, as they are beautiful fish. Well I'm done...I don't have aNEMOre to say.

Johnny G.
Old 09/07/2003, 11:42 AM
Tiny Miracles.

So now we have the Nemo Police along with the Tang Police?
Old 09/07/2003, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde
isnt nemo a 'true perc' not false one ?
I think he's an Ocellaris, his father and mother both were Ocellaris.
Old 09/07/2003, 11:47 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by NewMariner
So now we have the Nemo Police along with the Tang Police?
Did someone call me?
Sorry about the clown.

REEForm: Never buy a fish from the Philippines or Indonesia where the use of cyanide is rampant.
Old 09/07/2003, 12:23 PM
Really Good Fisherman

I would wager many rugrats have already been distracted by the latest craze and the Nemo thing has simmered down. Instead of the constant negativity on this subject here's an idea - let's work on helping reefers and fishkeepers that start a tank out after seeing the movie do the right thing and learn to take care of their charges properly.

This hobby is sort of expensive but that doesn't mean it has to be elitist - it can be a gateway to a true understanding of the challenges the worlds oceans face instead of just a fish in a glass bowl.

Would you people be squawking in the 50s about people naming their collies 'Lassie' or their retrievers 'Old Yeller'. Realize that this person was upset about losing his fish and came here to share and maybe look for advice - try being empathetic once in a while instead of judgemental. Believe me it's a lot more pleasant way to live.
Old 09/07/2003, 02:04 PM
uhhhh....???

Crazy Fish Lady,

Well said!!

Lunch bucket,

We cool!!

I think both sides of the coin have been expressed here very well. I refer to my clown as Nemo, just as a way for my son to connect with something in the tank. I myself feel that the movie struck a cord with me being a semi new father w/ two boys. However it is ashame that the movie couldnt have been indorsed with better advice, especially by a company that I thought to be reputable for the hobby.

rgeis
Hope you work something out. Maybe a quick pic when you do? I am wanting to do something myself. I have noticed that at night my clown swims right by the overflow. I would be devistated if I lost the little guy. Recently one of my firefish decided to "check out" to carpet land. Going to install some egg crate above tank.

-Duu it!
Old 09/07/2003, 02:28 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by rgeisz
I only had my Clowns for 1.5 weeks so I don't if they had time to establish their sex yet. The remaining Clown was the larger of the two...
Since most are ignoring your questions/comments on the real subject here...

You have not mentioned the size or species of clownfish you have. Please do.

When you go to pair your existing fish definitely go with a smaller fish. Even if they aren't old enough to have sexually matured, having the larger fish established in the tank will speed the pairing process and reduce the fighting necessary to establish the dominate/submissive relationship. You have already read my post on pairing clownfish, so you know what to look for from the new fish for signs of submission.

Fish proof your overflow(s). One of the things I found that works will are those plastic sheets that people use for needle work. They have a variety of hole sizes and colors. You should be able to find them just about any place that carries craft supplies.

Sorry for your loss.

HTH
Old 09/07/2003, 02:31 PM
forever newbie

1st off NEVER EVER NEVER call a clown a "NEMO" that is your 1st mistake.. Lunchbucket

My grandson just named my 2 new saddleback clowns NEMO and Keith. You got any better selections. For Keith, I mean.
Old 09/07/2003, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

technoshaman and reefer74, I see you are both in Austin TX as well!!! what are your favorite LFS's??

erin
Old 09/07/2003, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

HTH - Needlepoint stuff - perfect. I hadn't thought if that. I am needing to make a snail guard for my floatvalve. Thanks for the idea.

"Larger of the two" about how big is that?...
Erika

Have you flushed your membrane lately?
Old 09/07/2003, 04:02 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zepplin
I was slightly annoyed when I saw this threads title as well. When you use the name Nemo to refer to a clown, you are automatically red flagging every serious aquarist on the bulletin board that you're in the hobby for that movie, and secretly anyone who's a committed aquarist hates that concept. Now I don't truly know for what reasons you entered the hobby rgeisz, but when your soliciting the BB for help, try and avoid bringing up a topic that everyone hates. If you do purchase another fish, install some sort of grate on that filter intake. If you want a really good answer to this question, post your query in the clownfish anemone forum. Actually, try out the search option in that forum first. I'm positive you'll get many threads which are duplicates asking your same question.

-Meg

Oh dear. I just picked up my fish from a friend who was bording them while my tank cycled from a move. He has been in the hobby for over 20 years, sells corals and has an amazing show tank. He is quite knowledgeable, and his little girl called my ocellaris clownfish "Nemo" and my pacific blue tang "Dora." He called them that too. Does that mean he isn't a "committed aquarist"? I refer to the fish as Nemo when my kid is around, so does that make me not a "committed aquarist?" I think anyone with small kids and a ocellaris or percula clown refers to them as such at least when their kids are around.

I wish you wouldn't speak for me without at least finding out my opinion.

rgeisz:
As for your poor little Nemo, I feel your pain. Mine seemed to find a way over my overflows inspite of having egg-crate over them. I have an AGA 180, and they are pretty safe in my overflow, but it is a pain to fish them out. After three or four times going over, they seem to avoid it.

I would also recommend going with tank raised. They are so much heartier, and better suited for tank life. Ocellaris are the most docile of the clownfish with the possible exception of the skunk clown. How big is the fish that is left?
Old 09/07/2003, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Apellativo,

Good to see other austonians in here, but so as not to hijack this thread...email me at johng@austin.rr.com.

Johnny G.