Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 11/27/2004, 08:26 PM
Robotic Overlord

Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!1 I was wanting a octo hitch-hiker!!!!

I cannot complain though, TBS did me way more than right with all the extras they included!!
Old 11/27/2004, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

I really thought that finding the little octo was rather cool at first. I learned quite a bit about them on the octo forum. From what I've read and after seeing how quickly he's growing, I think he'll be much better off in an big, aggressive, FOWLR tank at my LFS. He's a trouble maker for sure and he's still pretty tiny!!
Old 11/27/2004, 08:37 PM
Robotic Overlord

Last pics of the evening!

The CD in the camera is full, so this is it for tonight! The water is still kind of murky from all of the rock moving, beter pictures on Monday!!

Some of the anemones:

Full tank shots, Im no aquascaper. My gf helped me do the initial aquascaping but I want more floor room so I will redo on Monday. Thats the biggest problem with TBS rock, I dont want to hide any of it. I placed on of the first pieces in the tank so I could see the nice brain coral on it, the realized that I couldnt see the tube/cup corals and there is no way to treally position it without hiding on of those things!

In the 75 gallon I have about 40 pounds of standard LFS fiji rock, it came with the tank. When my girlfriend came in to help me unpack the rock she had not seen the 75 gallon yet. She said "Wow, the fish are pretty, but that rock is really ugly compared to the rock you got from TBS. It just looks like rocks in water."

She is right, the rock from TBS just kicks the daylights out of this bland fiji stuff.
Old 11/27/2004, 08:38 PM
Robotic Overlord

Ok, RC as a limit to the number of pics you can put in one post. So here is really the last of them!

Hitch-hiking brains:

Old 11/27/2004, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I'd say leave the panther grouper in the 75 and just add some TBS LR to it. There is nowhere near enough LR in that tank.I have TBS LR in my tank and your right ....NO COMPARISON to Tonga or Fiji. But one should expect as much as TBS is fresh from the Gulf, and who knows how long those other rocks are out of water.

JaFa
Old 11/27/2004, 09:35 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by 13fishfan
I'd say leave the panther grouper in the 75 and just add some TBS LR to it. There is nowhere near enough LR in that tank.I have TBS LR in my tank and your right ....NO COMPARISON to Tonga or Fiji. But one should expect as much as TBS is fresh from the Gulf, and who knows how long those other rocks are out of water.

JaFa
I think the Panther Grouper, as cool as he is would outgrow that tank rather quickly. I have a Niger Trigger in my 29 gallon QT growing out right now and he will replace the Panther Grouper.

Your right, there is not nearly enough LR in that tank. I will be adding some LR over time. Right now my wallet his hurting!!
Old 11/27/2004, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

I didn't know TBS shipped on Saturday. (I recalled asking about a Saturday shipment so I wouldn't have to take a day off work and I thought they told me they didn't)

Anyway, the rock looks great and I can only imagine what it will look like in a few months. I posted earlier about my hair algae problem, I think I may have gone through my cycle already. Talked to Mark today (from TBS) and he told me that the algae may not be hair algae, maybe some kind of macroalgae that came in on the rock, but the cleanup crew will get it.(I hope so, it's getting outrageous) At any rate, I am glad you got your shipment and I wish you good luck on aquascaping because that will be a task. So much stuff that you want to be able to look at everything!
Old 11/27/2004, 10:16 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vrob
I didn't know TBS shipped on Saturday. (I recalled asking about a Saturday shipment so I wouldn't have to take a day off work and I thought they told me they didn't)

Anyway, the rock looks great and I can only imagine what it will look like in a few months. I posted earlier about my hair algae problem, I think I may have gone through my cycle already. Talked to Mark today (from TBS) and he told me that the algae may not be hair algae, maybe some kind of macroalgae that came in on the rock, but the cleanup crew will get it.(I hope so, it's getting outrageous) At any rate, I am glad you got your shipment and I wish you good luck on aquascaping because that will be a task. So much stuff that you want to be able to look at everything!
I do not think they normally ship on Saturday. I think they went out of their way for me and I appreciate very much. It shows what kind of company they run!

I agree, it may not be true hair algae. I have had massive hair algae problems before. In my 29 gallon I had strands of hair that ran from the bottom of the tank all the way to the top of the water! The algae I got while cycling the first part of the package looked at first like hair algae but then developed actual structure and looked more plant like. I still removed it all the same.
Old 11/27/2004, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

What is that thing in the yellow garbage can on page 10. It is in the can with the shrimps and the crabs... it looks like a black fish .. can you tell me what it is?
Old 11/27/2004, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

nice thread!! beautiful rock!! did everything in those pics come with the TBS order?
Old 11/27/2004, 11:49 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by masson
What is that thing in the yellow garbage can on page 10. It is in the can with the shrimps and the crabs... it looks like a black fish .. can you tell me what it is?
It is a black fish, but I cannot tell you what kind. I asked TBS, they said "Mystery fish.....from our rock...". So who knows what it is!
Old 11/27/2004, 11:50 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by slave-of-rock
nice thread!! beautiful rock!! did everything in those pics come with the TBS order?
Yep, everything in those pictures came from TBS (except of course the stuff in the 75 gallon tank pics). I got quite a few extras in my second shipment including a number of anemones and a mystery fish amoung other things. I am quite happy!
Old 11/27/2004, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Kyle told me it was a fish and i didnt think they had them ... who knew. Great tanks.. i wish i had a teacher like that... all we had was a real dirty old freshwater tank with a stupid fish who liked bubbles

Are you gonna keep the fish ?
Old 11/28/2004, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

try and getg a close up of that fish, then maby one of us can ID it! really nice stuff, thats alot of shirmp!!!
Old 11/28/2004, 07:30 AM
Tang? What Tang!

All I can say is WOW! DW. Anenomes too! I hope I get that lucky when I get my shipment. I bet your face looks like this right now

We did not know you wore a wig, love the colors! LOL

That just looks great, All the extras and all thats on the rock I cant imagine how you will scape all that, need to put it on a rotisori so you can view all sides

Great pics, good job!!!!
Old 11/28/2004, 10:29 AM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Oz

We did not know you wore a wig, love the colors! LOL

When I don the wig I turn into my alternate personality "Mr. Culp the evil science clown!!!
Old 11/28/2004, 10:34 AM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by slave-of-rock
try and getg a close up of that fish, then maby one of us can ID it! really nice stuff, thats alot of shirmp!!!
Yes, TBS was VERY good to me and sent me some extras for the other tanks in my classroom. I put three of the cucumbers and one of the serpent stars into the 75 gallon. It was REALLY needing some sand sifting creatures as it has a DSB but nothing to sift the sand other than 5 large hermits and a sand sifting star. I was looking through catalogs and I was planning on buying some sand sifting creatures for it.

I think I will seed the tank with some sand from TBS. I was planning on getting my gf a 24 gallon Nano Cube for Christmas and turning it into a reef for her via the TBS package. When I order that package I may order 10-20 pounds of extra sand for the 75 gallon.
Old 11/28/2004, 10:38 AM
Robotic Overlord

What a sick hobby this is! I have the 40 gallon reef finally going and now I am thinking about going bigger. I was at a new fish shop a couple of blocks away and he just got his sale tanks on display. $700.00 for a 120 gallon with stand and canopy. I figure I can work summer school this year for an extra $2,300.00 and that ought to cover it.
Old 11/28/2004, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

wow so how many tanks would you have then plus the freshwater tanks?
Old 11/28/2004, 10:48 AM
Robotic Overlord

Right now I have the following:

1 55 gallon freshwater
1 40 gallon TBS reef
1 75 gallon FO
1 29 gallon FO

If I went bigger with the reef I would replace the 40 gallon reef with the larger aquarium.
Old 11/28/2004, 10:53 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Least the electricity is covered!! WHEW! LOL
Old 11/28/2004, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

man would I like to have that many tanks in my house. Sadly I only have one 55g.
Old 11/28/2004, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

dwculp,
I usually order things in bulk from That Fish Place and I will be getting ready to place an order tomorrow. What kind of additives will you be putting in the tank? If you have a minute, I have just a few questions:
(1) What type of phosphate remover would you recommend - Phosban or Phosguard?
(2) I have an Empero and will use it to run carbon (after I take the biowheel out). What type of carbon have you had success with?
(3) Are you dosing with any other additives to feed the corals, etc. you have in the tank?

I know your tanks are at school, but you are really good to be away from them until tomorrow. I think I would be so excited that I would be sitting in my classroom right now staring at the tank if I were you!! I know your students will be really excited tomorrow!
Old 11/28/2004, 12:38 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vrob
dwculp,
I usually order things in bulk from That Fish Place and I will be getting ready to place an order tomorrow.
That Fish Place is great! I have spent a considerable sum of money there. Another great company with great customer service! The only problem I have ever had is I got a Coralife light fixture from them with a broken bulb. I emailed them and they sent out a new bulb that day.

Well, I am still new to all this saltwater reef stuff, but:

(1) What type of phosphate remover would you recommend - Phosban or Phosguard? - I have had good sucess with Phosban in my freshwater tank. Though I gave up trying to control phosphates in that thing!!

(2) I have an Empero and will use it to run carbon (after I take the biowheel out). What type of carbon have you had success with? I buy carbon from the cheapest place in the world. Wal-Mart!!! I believe their carbon is repackaged Marine Land. Wal-Mart also sells boxes of 6 filters for my Penguin 330. They are also rebranded Marineland filters at 1/2 the price!! I wish Wal-Mart would come out with an Emperor clone so they would sell cheap filters for it!

By the way, Drs. Foster and Smith has Emperor cartridges on sale now for $7.49 for a box of 4!

(3) Are you dosing with any other additives to feed the corals, etc. you have in the tank? - I have been adding Phyto-Plex from Kent Marine but will switch to DT's when I find a place around here that sells it. I also add calcium as when I mixup IO it has a low calcium content of about 300-350ppm. I add calcium to bring it up to 450ppm.

Quote:
I know your tanks are at school, but you are really good to be away from them until tomorrow. I think I would be so excited that I would be sitting in my classroom right now staring at the tank if I were you!! I know your students will be really excited tomorrow! [/B]
I am doing everything in my power to not go to school today! I actually live 23 miles north of the school I teach at and so it isnt like a small drive. If I lived closer I would so be there right now! However, I really need to stay home today, rest and do a bit of house cleaning. I am currently watching one of the greatest series of movies ever made - The Back to The Future trilogy

I tried to move closer last summer but never found time to search for a place to live and my lease auto-renews every August!
Old 11/28/2004, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

One more quick question: What brand of calcium test do you use? I have Aquarium Pharmaceuticals for everything else, and I was planning on ordering their Calcium test as well, but read a few things about it that tells me it is somewhat hard to read. Any suggestions?

I will check Wal-Mart out for the carbon as well. Is the carbon from Wal-Mart a "Wal-Mart" brand and does it in a box like a milk carton?

Also, excuse me for my ignorance, but on the calcium additive, what is "DT's"?.........Sorry for so many questions, but this is my first reef and just want to make sure I can do everything in my power to do it right. I just moved from another state into an apartment and left a 75 gallon FOWL saltwater behind (not enough space in rhe apt). I enjoyed it as it was an aggressive tank. It won't be until another year that I can get a larger size tank when I move into a house. I have always wanted a large reef tank but was too afraid to try, so my adventure with this 30 gallon will give me the practice (and courage) I need to take on a 75 gallon a year from now.

Oh and as far as your tanks at school go, I think I would be making an attempt to set up a digicam or something. Wouldn't be able to stand it being away from them!! I don't remember if someone asked you this or not, but do you have ANY tanks at your home at all?