Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2005, 05:03 PM
TRC Leader

That's a good option. I'll see how they act when I feed them tonight. If they are really into their meal and not paying attention to me I might try a quick clean.
Old 10/27/2005, 05:07 PM
NCAS Cheer ******

I wished that worked with my clowns, they run(swim) for cover if anything but food enters the tank.
Old 10/27/2005, 05:38 PM
Fish Yenta

The other day I was cleaning the glass, doing a water change and even adding a thin layer of sand -- including around their host where they like to fan it away. Wondered why the clowns weren't checking me out like they usually do, then realized they were spawning the whole time. Sorry guys!

CB clowns are the best

Yet, they'll stop spawning for food. No wonder they are so fat.
Old 10/29/2005, 10:02 PM
TRC Leader

I hope to have some good pictures tomorrow. I cleaned the tank from top to bottom tonight. Got the little spattering of algae off the walls, cleaned up any spec of left over food or waste. Ran some fresh carbon and cleaned up the viewing panels.

About a 10 gallon water change in all. Not all at once though. I didn't want to stress the clowns out too much. I did as Nicole suggested and cleaned the walls of the tank while they ate their morning meal. They really could have cared less that my hand was in there. After that meal I did a 5 gallon water change. Cleaning any left over food up, and any floating algae bits that got dislodged.

Then I just finished another 5 gallon water change to pick up anything that had settled from the change early today. Added the fresh carbon, a new air stone and am pleased with how everything looks.

This is the half way point of the quarantine. 3 weeks in total.
Old 10/29/2005, 11:10 PM
Fish Yenta

Great! If out little orange pigs have full bellies, they seem to tolerate a lot. I look forward to seeing the new pics.
Old 10/30/2005, 02:28 PM
TRC Leader

They both had a huge appetite this morning. More then I have ever seen. I guess the water changes yesterday really perked them up.

Charlie didn't want his picture taken this morning. Every time I'd get him in focus he would swoop down into the bowl and I'd miss him. Lucy on the other hand was looking right at me. I'll try to get some more pictures later. I think the flash really upsets them after awhile.

Old 10/30/2005, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Quick question. I am setting up my QT tank. Plan on 10 gallon with AC 50 filter and 50 watt heater. Also plan on just using normal NO strip light. Will out some black construction paper on the 3 sides to help seclude the tank.

The clowns I am looking at right now are from a local breeder. she said in about a month the clowns will be ready. So what sort of treatment should be down with captive breed clowns. I am guessing the should be fairly clean and healthy. Would I still need to to dips or a hypo treatment. Or just keep them in the QT tank for 4-6 weeks and get them aclimated to me .

Also with the filter I plan on using the sponge in my main tank for about a week to get it good and bacteria filled. For water changes is it better to take water from the tank or use fresh salt?

Thanks.

"The cheese stands alone."
Old 10/30/2005, 11:59 PM
Fish Yenta

Spiffyguy,

If you have a chance to the breeding setup and broodstock, you can judge for yourself. If the broodstock and babies are healthy and plump with no sign of illness, then (like most marine fish breeders) your chances of getting healthy stock are excellent. In that case, I would just isolate them for 4-6 weeks and use the time ot train them to hand feed, get used to you and your schedule, and watch for any signs of illness.

If you don't get to see the setup, I would probably assume the clowns are healthy and just isolate them. Do go see the setup if she permits; tanks full of baby clowns are SO cute

I would use water from the main tank -- it will also get them acclimated to your normal tank conditions.
Old 10/31/2005, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Nicole thanks for the info. i am not sure I will get to see the place or not but from the sounds of it others in my local club have. I have seen the shots of tanks full of babies here on RC and they are certainly cute looking. I hope to maybe get there one day.

Old 11/07/2005, 01:06 AM
TRC Leader

Well, Lucy and Charlie have been with me now for a month! I'll post some recent pictures tomorrow. I just wanted to update and say that they are both doing really well. Eating like champs of course.

I hope my LTA keeps up it's recent behavior because as of today it stuck it's foot into the sand. I was concerned that it wouldn't do so in time for the clowns to be added. I just hope all stays this way. I know they don't need the anemone and would be just as happy with the orange bowl but still, I am hopeful for the three of them to work out.
Old 11/07/2005, 01:29 AM
Fish Yenta

I was just wondering how these little guys were doing. It's good to hear they are well and don't have much longer in QT.

The yellow bowl is too funny My clowns spent one (apparently) blissfully happy evening in a BTA... then went back to their frogspawn and haven't wandered since. I heard of one pair of clowns that hosted in a tea cup -- when I had to move mine into hypo I gave them coffee mugs and they seemed happy with those. Of course, my reef tank would look a little funny with red coffee mugs in it... but they really aren't that picky.

Truthfully, the bowl is rather nice -- it mimics the shape of an anemone a bit, and I wonder if that made them feel more comfortable at first?
Old 11/07/2005, 06:09 PM
TRC Leader

LOL I could see some clowns swishing around in a tea cup! Too cute. I guess it's a smooth surface just like how some breeders use terra cotta pots or tiles for breeding.

I agree, I think it mimics the shape of an anemone and is a safe feeling for them. I'm glad I was given the advice to add one to the QT tank.

Here are three pictures a friend took the other day. I love the last one the most.

Lucy

Charlie - Fins looking so much better too!

Old 11/07/2005, 06:47 PM
Fish Yenta

I see Charlie's fins are almost totally grown back.
Old 11/07/2005, 06:54 PM
TRC Leader

I am very happy to see how well and how quickly it has healed. I'm also happy that they seem to have the dominance issues worked out. I haven't see Charlie need to shake up to Lucy in a long time now. Lucy hasn't been picking at him either. I hope there is not too much of a reestablishment when they are placed into the display tank.
Old 11/07/2005, 07:02 PM
TRC Leader

I can't believe it has already been a month. They look great!
Old 11/07/2005, 07:12 PM
Fish Yenta

I always move them together, just in case. A big wide-mouth jar or one of those plastic convalescent homes is usually big enough to scoop them both up, especially if you do it at night when they are snoozing. You may be able to just cover the yellow bowl and pick them up in that.

You could capture them at night to make it quick and easy, but I would not introduce them to the display in the dark. Too easy to get frighten and stumble into something unknown and hurt themselves.

But I think they have been through the worst, and a quick transfer won't be as traumatic as the capture, shipping, etc. they have been through. If they get fussy after being separated, it can't hurt to feed them their favorite food as soon as they go in the display to defuse tensions.
Old 11/08/2005, 01:31 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I can't believe it has already been a month. They look great!
Thanks Marc! Time sure does fly.

Nicole- I was think of using the yellow bowl to transfer them just like you mentioned. I think that would be less traumatic and for the first few days I will just leave the bowl in the main display too. To boost their comfort level. Do it about midday before their meal. So they have some time to adjust to the water flow and new surroundings. Then give them a big meal and hope they take to the night well.
Old 11/10/2005, 08:31 AM
"Old Yeller"

Well it is nice to see a thread that can emphasize that buying new fish is more than a matter of acclimation and dropping them into display. Having already learned my lesson a long time ago about that type of practice

You fish are looking much better (as is your photography).

Would you explain how you went about "cycling" your tank for the fish.

I think one of the biggest issues for the 101 class is the fact that ammonia may get more fish in qt than any ailment. (another VERY expensive lesson I learned the hard way) Kudos on the Ammonia Alert Badge, they are a great item for qt tanks....
Old 11/10/2005, 09:33 AM
Registered Member.

I may have missed it in the thread, where can you get a ammonia allert adge?
Old 11/10/2005, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Most fish stores have them. I bought mine at....petsmart. Sorry but I needed a 10 gallon for my QT

Old 11/10/2005, 11:36 AM
Fish Yenta

They are made by SeaChem and widely available. Also quite cheap, considering how long they last. ($5 at Marine Depot)

IMO, they are a good tool, but do not completely replace ammonia tests in senstitive environments, since they do eventually go bad and there's no sign that has happened..
Old 11/10/2005, 11:41 AM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
Originally posted by NicoleC
They are made by SeaChem and widely available. Also quite cheap, considering how long they last. ($5 at Marine Depot)

IMO, they are a good tool, but do not completely replace ammonia tests in senstitive environments, since they do eventually go bad and there's no sign that has happened..
They have a 4 hour reaction time, so they are not an instant indicator, however they sure do make you feel better when you can just look at your tank and see if there are any "ammonia indictors"

I also take a black sharpie and put the "opened date" on the clear section so that I can replace them at 9 months. (supposed to be good for 1 year)
Old 11/10/2005, 12:19 PM
Fish Yenta

Good idea!

Yes, I like having an "ammonia probe," too
Old 11/10/2005, 10:34 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Randall_James
Would you explain how you went about "cycling" your tank for the fish.

It's an easy three step process that I used.
  • I have a hang on back filter I use as filtration for my QT tanks. They normally come with a sponge (you can by them cheap at petsmart) and carbon to place in the filtration compartment. What I do is get a fresh sponge and place it in the sump of my main display tank. It get's populated with beneficial bacteria. If I know I will be QTing a fish or coral soon, I will place the sponge in the sump a good two weeks before I need to have the tank set up
  • A few days before I get the fish I will clean out the QT tank, and use saltwater from the main display to fill it up. I put all the equipment in place and place the sponge from the displays sump into the HOB filter. Whamo! the tank is ready to do. The sponge is the filter I need. I think the mature saltwater is a help too (of course so long as your water parameters are good).
  • I test the water (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites) and keep a pH probe in for the days leading up to the fish/corals arrival. To be sure everything is well. I have to agree, the ammonia alert is a great idea, but not as good as something like a salifert ammonia test kit. Also, as good of a filter it is using those sponges, I still think it's a must to do frequent water changes. I feed a lot when animals are Qted. They are normally already stressed and need every little bit to help build them back up. So left over food and waste must be taken care of. It doesn't have to be a big change daily, but a good cleanup often will help keep water quality even higher and make our job easier.
Old 11/12/2005, 03:46 PM
TRC Leader

Well we are at week 5 now. Just one more week of hypo to go before I can start raising the SG and get them ready for introduction into the display tank.

Big tank cleaning on the books today. Get the algae out, do two 5g changes (one morning and one at night), and fresh carbon.

They really did not want their picture taken. That and the tank needs a good cleaning. So I'm sorry this is such a bad picture.

[img]