Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2005, 02:20 AM
Master of Disaster

Simply beautiful.
Can you direct me to the page/pages that have your canister filter on?

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher if You're Stupid --John Wayne

Freedom is Flying
Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!
Old 06/18/2005, 02:33 AM
Premium Member

Knyght: Thanks and better yet, here's a photo of it next to the UV filter.

Or... a link to my website with photos from when it was in its original design as strictly a phosphate reactor.

weatherson.com - Phosphate Reactor

Joseph
Old 06/18/2005, 02:37 AM
Fiddles With Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by weatherson
Never ceases to amaze.....
Old 06/18/2005, 02:42 AM
Master of Disaster

Thx Joseph,
I wish that I could find that blue tubing here. It`s just so doggone perty.

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher if You're Stupid --John Wayne

Freedom is Flying
Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!
Old 06/18/2005, 04:15 AM
TRC Leader

It is nice to see such a thriving tank. I hope mine will look like that one day.
Old 06/18/2005, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Here we go again with the blue hose...
Old 06/26/2005, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Why hasnt this tabk been TOTM? Or has it and I just missed it?
Devastating beauty.
Old 06/27/2005, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Ya, whats up Melev? We all know you have some pull on this site. Lets get the nomination for Joseph!
Old 06/27/2005, 10:01 AM
I'll take SWords for $500

This tank AND setup AND documentation is leaps and bounds ahead of just about every TOTM setup I've seen.

It should be its own published book.
Old 06/27/2005, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

They should give weatherson some kind of new championship title.
Old 06/27/2005, 02:57 PM
TRC Leader

I believe he was TOTM already. Let me double check.

Hmm. I was wrong. Here's the list guys:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/subject/totm.php

What you need to do to nominate Joseph's tank is to send a PM to "Skipper" with "TOTM Nomination" in the title. Tell him why you liked it, and that's it. The more nominations sent in, the more likely you'll see it featured in RKO.
Old 06/27/2005, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

That tank is Gorgeous!
Great work.
Old 06/27/2005, 04:19 PM
Moved On

Man that is a pretty looking tank. How many different species of SPS do you have in there, I was trying to count but the pic above is a little to small to tell.
Old 06/27/2005, 06:58 PM
Fiddles With Reef

I'm going tyo nominate for sure.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 06/27/2005, 07:16 PM
nothing to say here

Yeah, ya know this is way past due. I have learned so much from this thread. Seriously. My tank and many others have borrowed from his aquascaping and the ideas just flow when going through this thread.
Old 06/27/2005, 08:24 PM
Say Cheese!!

TOTD...Tank of the decade.

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.
Old 06/27/2005, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Then there are us who are local to Weatherson. As is always the case, pictures never do the real tank justice. And I don't say this to float his boat and maybe get a free frag or two (I mean besides the one's he's already given me). I'd rather be able to share my appreciation anonymously, but c'est la vie.

Weatherson's experience, information, complete willingness to help with anything, desire to share like he has here, perfectionism and down to earth humility have been more of a help across the entire hobby than he could ever realize.

I appreciate getting past all the excitement, public hysteria and showyness to see Weatherson also puts a lot of effort, and his favorite word: preparation, into his tank. It's nice to be able to PM him a question "Does your tank ever stink?" and get a real reply. Every now and then, he even asks his own questions.

His documentation, however, seems to work its way into many parts of his life. Our local club was recently inundated with scores of photos (and we've all seen the quality) of his recent trip to Sea World, Aquarium of the Pacific, and Scripps. It was the "Here's the entrance. Here's the annoying kids at the entrance. Here's looking into the front lobby. Here's the stack of plumbing parts they have in storage in the back..." and so on.

Though he was the inaugural winner of the Thread of the Month, he's never received Tank of the Month. There are so many great tanks out there, maybe this is OK. But for all he's given here, all I can offer is a genuine "Thank you."
Old 06/28/2005, 06:24 AM
Say Cheese!!

Well put.

It's a small world........But I wouldn't want to paint it.
Old 06/28/2005, 07:58 AM
Moved On

Ditto!
Old 06/28/2005, 08:03 AM
TRC Leader

Skipper has been contacted.
Old 06/28/2005, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Incredible tank, I hope you don’t mind, I may have made the snapshot of your fish room my desktop background. It gives me something to aspire to for my 33 gal .
My question is about your home made protein skimmer. I’ve been searching the net gathering ideas on how to go about making my own downdraft, but I seem to be coming up short. I’d like to make it out of mostly acrylic and pvc piping. I was wondering if you had any advice on how to make it work as well or better than a store bought?
thanks
Old 06/28/2005, 09:19 AM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
You got my nomination, I pm'd skipper!

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 06/29/2005, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank and setup!!!! Truely inspiring! Great job!!!!!

Old 06/29/2005, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

NexDog, bheron, resplendantreef, wonrib00, GregM779, jarhed, DerekW, Stile2, Pewe: Thank you all so much. You are all very kind and I appreciate your comments.

elephen: It's fairly hard to count but I came up with 80. That surprises even me as I would have never thought that many. Many are frags though.

jwedehase: I want to go on record here stating that I never publicly said those several thousand kids were annoying. Perhaps inferred, but never stated in those blunt words.

Thanks for the kind words but no, I will not build you a skimmer. Seriously, you are way too kind. It's easy to be humble when you love this hobby and the animals it allows us to keep as much as I do. It simply never seems anything less than fun and interesting on a daily basis.

george1098: Thanks for the kind words. As to the skimmer, in all reality, it isn't all that difficult to make your own skimmer that will perform equal to and often better than a store bought, commercially made unit. While there is a certain amount of knowledge required, skimmers in general are pretty simple devices.

There are many options available as far as which design to go with but the Beckett type is probably one of the most common these days. There's also a resurgence of air-stone type with the improvement in design of air-stones and their ability to produce finer bubble along with longer lasting, higher output air pumps. When you say downdraft, I picture the older style ETS type with a jet of water shot into tubes where water mixes to a froth. This was the type I made in my first attempt at working with acrylic. Interestingly, at least to me, this unit is still in service but with many alterations throughout its life. It's currently a Beckett if that tells you anything. I'd strongly suggest following the DIY forum here as there's always great ideas and projects to find there.

Joseph
Old 06/29/2005, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

OK... here's a few updates to share. I've made a few changes to the tank recently in an effort to increase flow. But, before I get into that, let me start with my water-change system. I'd previously used two of the Rubbermaid, 30-gallon trash cans and they worked well... until recently. Apparently, the mixing side tank decided it had enough and decided to acquire a very small, hairline crack near the bottom. I was getting ready to do a water change by filling this container with RO/DI water. When I returned a couple hours later to check on the progress, I found a puddle of water on the floor. A little investigation lead to the crack. I wasn't too bothered by this as I knew I'd been wanting to upgrade the tanks to slightly larger versions anyway. So, I did just that and picked up a couple of 50-gallon units, Rubbermaid also, from Home Depot. These are made of a much thicker plastic and have hinged lids as well as wheels (not that I will be using the later). A few holes drilled later and they were ready to go. I do like the fact that I now change almost 50-gallons per water change compared to the previous 30. Here's a shot of them and sorry I couldn't get a better, full one but this the best I could do with the lens I have. I need to get a good wide angle lens for my new camera.