Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2005, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Weatherson, you clearly deserve some credit for the post production work. In the monti cap and clam shots, I like how you've "dodged" the items in the background to help them disappear into the distance. This helps negate them as visual distractions. Great job and good eye for catching it.

I don't know that this is a Photoshop thread, but I'd personally be interested in knowing more about your basic methodology. I only have PS7, so I'm not really familiar with a couple of the new tools I know you're using.

And in case it hasn't been mentioned... RC Readers: don't be too discouraged by the photos. I can attest to Weatherson taking a huge amount of photos, and simply pulling out the best. For myself, I would say less than 1 out of 20 are keepers. Just keep shooting.
Old 06/13/2005, 01:41 AM
Premium Member

jwedehase: You didn't notice the elimination at the corner of the cap shot? You're slipping. And yes, I've mentioned many times how my inability as a photographer are camouflaged by the digital mediums benefit of multiple, rapid shots. I do utilize this feature to its fullest possibilities.

Joseph
Old 06/13/2005, 02:08 PM
nothing to say here

Weatherson, since I stole your closed loop design, I gotta make sure I'm planning it exactly like yours. In the beginning, you had each closed loop pump on a 6 hour alternating interval. Are you still doing that?
Old 06/13/2005, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

jarhed: Yes, I still utilize the original timing of my closed loops. The first one (Left closed loop) comes on at 6 AM and goes off at 12 noon. The second (Right closed loop) comes on at 11:45 AM so that there is a 15-minute overlap and some really wild currents. It then goes off at 6 PM. The left closed loop then comes on again at 5:45 PM, again so there is a 15-minute overlap and then shuts off at midnight. Both remain off from midnight to 6 AM to give the fish some nighttime calmness on the reef. Of course, the sinusoidal valve continues 24/7 but this is much less disruptive.

Joseph
Old 06/13/2005, 02:52 PM
nothing to say here

Oh, thats a beautiful schedule! Of course, I'll be copying this!
Old 06/13/2005, 06:21 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

cool. havn't heard of many people changing thier closed loop time scheduals. most keep them going 24/7 nice idea to get differing flows

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/13/2005, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Lunchbucket: When I originally designed it, I did so knowing I wanted to simulated a tidal, back and forth current. This is why I built in two, opposing systems that also pull from opposite ends to create a strong cross flow.

Joseph
Old 06/13/2005, 06:48 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

sweet idea man. i'll have to keep that in mind. hmm manybe when i move i'll try that. i am going to have an acrylic 58gal built and drill it for a closed loop instead of using my over the tank one on my glass. guess i could use my iwaki 55rlt on my OM 4way adn add that panworld pump i have laying around forever

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/13/2005, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Since I haven't done a pretty diagram lately...

Joseph
Old 06/13/2005, 11:33 PM
nothing to say here

Simply beautiful!

BTW, what is your lighting schedule? I know you must have posted it but .... umm.... this thread.....

I'm thinking going reverse schedule so as not to pay Edison Electric too much money. If I can avoid the peak hours as much as possible, I'll (and my wallet) would be much much happier!

I think I'll use my sump return, which comes up on each side of the center overflow, like your middle sinusoidal valve, but unfortunately they wont alternate.

Without the penductors, were your outputs on the closed loops reaching the far side of the tank? I have two outputs (split) per pump and think I can aim them pretty much any direction I please.
Old 06/14/2005, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

jarhed: My lighting schedule is based on the AQII's seasonal table. This has the lighting period based on the actual sunrise/sunset and lunar cycle of my location. As far as how the lights fire and go out, the first VHO set (440-watts) which is controlled by a dimmer, come on first and gradually brighten over a one hour duration. Once these are at full power, the second set of VHO's (also 440-watts) are fired. Thirty minutes later, the middle 250-watt MH bulb fires followed by the two flanking 250's thirty minutes after. Finally, the last two, end-of-tank 250's fire another thirty minutes later. At sunset, the process is reversed ending with the last VHO set dimming down to off.

Here's the photos depicting the closed loop current reach first with the output split to two 3/4" Lockline nozzles, then with just 1" pipe and finally with the Penductors. All three versions were driven with the Iwaki 55 pump which I injected air into its inlet for this visualization.

Joseph
Old 06/14/2005, 02:59 PM
nothing to say here

Beautiful!! I may just use Penductors on my four outlets then in order to reach the far side of the tank from the pump that is active.

AQII does all that with the lighting? Thats pretty awesome!
Old 06/14/2005, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
AQII does all that with the lighting? Thats pretty awesome!
Well, it does all that except the dimming function of the VHO. That is done by a dimming module attachment (old Niche Engineering unit) for the IC 660 E-ballast. Everything else is handled by the AQII though and yes, it is awesome.

Joseph
Old 06/14/2005, 03:21 PM
TRC Leader

Never mind.. you just answered it. Where did you get the module?
Old 06/14/2005, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Marc: I purchased it from the original designer, Niche Engineering, many years ago. They are now available by Solar from several sites. Here's Champion's...

Solar 750

Joseph
Old 06/14/2005, 05:19 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks. I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone dimming their VHOs before. And I love the new look of their site.
Old 06/14/2005, 06:08 PM
Moved On

Are those penductors DIY or did you buy them somewhere?
Old 06/14/2005, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

They're from KTH Sales.

Joseph
Old 06/14/2005, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Joseph MRC has the penductors.
Old 06/14/2005, 07:43 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

well good lord you are just full of information!! thanks for the diagram of the flow and for the links to the dimmer and penducator

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/14/2005, 09:29 PM
Not bad, drawn that way

Joseph:

I got the 20D as a gift to myself and got it for a real good price using some points I built up from a credit card that could only be spent at the Gateway Accessory Store - that's the main reason I went with the Canon rather than a Nikon model. I also bought the 28-135 zoom with image stabilizer to supplement the kit lens. I do want the 100 Macro and thought real hard about it, but I decided I needed the zoom first to give me more versatility. Maybe Santa will be good to me again this year.

I'll try to post some of my pictures one of these days.

Thanks again for all your inspiration. All I need now is to find enough free time to do what I want to do instead of all this work I have to do to support my hobbies (obsessions?).

Mickey
Old 06/14/2005, 11:46 PM
Master of Disaster

Awesome information,

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher if You're Stupid --John Wayne

Freedom is Flying
Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!
Old 06/15/2005, 09:47 AM
DOH!

Great info

You must have some fast moving snails. In those pics they seem to multiply.

You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire.

Aww Right!!!!
Old 06/15/2005, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Got it man, thanks! Sorry it took so long, I only got the "reply to post" email just now. You can go ahead and take the file down.

Quote:
Originally posted by weatherson Just post back here as soon as you get it so I can take it down. A few too many hits on that monster and my throughput will be exceeded. Simply right click the image and do a "save as" (windows).

Very big zoa photo. Temporary.

Joseph
Old 06/18/2005, 02:12 AM
Premium Member

Well, after procrastinating about a week, I decided it was time to change out my tank's carbon and Phosban. I keep filter bags filled with both in the acrylic canister filter I built. Needless to say, the water clarity was noticeably better today so I decided to take a couple full tank shots. First is a VHO super actinic (one set - 440-watts) only shot as the lights were going down tonight.

And next, a shot with all lights on earlier in the day.

Joseph