Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/30/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

simple, cheap quarantine tanks

I'm surprised at how many reefers still don't use quarantine tanks. The main reason is usually cost. The runner up is space.

I've been using rubbermaid tubs for quarantine tanks now for about 5 years. I even use many of them as permanent homes for breeding stock of freshwater fish. They are super cheap. You can go to home depot and buy a 55 gallon tub for around $15. I just went to walmart and bought an 18 gallon tub for $4. You can even find clear ones, though they tend to be smaller than 30 gallons. If you have a very large reef tank, these tubs do come in larger sizes. Many people use 100 gallon tubs for sumps. These ones are a bit more expensive, but cheaper than a 100 gallon tank. If you're only using it for a quarantine, it doesn't have to be pretty.

These tubs are very lightweight, and can be stacked and moved by one person (when empty). They don't have to be filled all the time, when you need it, just set it up. I usually just take cycled media from my main aquarium and run an air-driven or HOB filter in the quarantine.

I don't use anything from the main tank if I'm quarantining new fish, though. Just do water changes and test for ammonia at least once a day. If you use a large enough tub, and siphon it every day, you probably never will have an ammonia spike.

If you're using it for a hospital tank, make sure not to put any live rock, sand, or crushed coral in the tub. These can "soak up" any meds you are using. Use inert things like PVC pipes for hiding places.

Make sure to use the lids that come with the tubs for jumpers (any fish other than a seahorse). You can cut holes in these lids easily.

Another good reason to quarantine new fish in these tanks is that it's usually easier to get certain new fish to eat in a bare bottom tub. Even difficult fish can be trained to eat frozen foods here. And it's easier to keep a bare bottom tub clean.

Now nobody has an excuse for not using a quarantine tank!
Old 09/30/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Love the thread. Should be a "sticky" people always ask, "how to set up a QT".

I keep my bio wheel, just the wheel, in my sump at all times. That way, I always have a cycled filter ready. Then I use it, and throw it out. (Fear of contamination). I go to the LFS, buy a new one, then it goes into the sump.
Old 09/30/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Agree. Only the problem is not how to lift them, but where to store them in the small urban settings.
My 28g for a big fish, when empty - always interferes with daily routine, have to move frequently. No place even to attach to the ceilings...
Old 10/01/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Cleaned cat litter storage buckets and salt water buckets work well!
Old 10/01/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

These work well for administering antibiotic baths and freshwater baths as well.
Old 10/02/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

thanks for great tips!
usually you see at the LFS the fish store in display tanks that are less than 5 gallons. the total volumne of their entire water chain can be in the thousands of gallons.
so would a 5 gallong bucket be good for quarantine a clown or tang for a few weeks?
i kept all my fish in qt in a 30gal but the tank was way out and in the way of everything so im resorting to something small that be hidden away, not abandon but hidden.
Old 10/02/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I had kept 2 small chromises and damsel in the 7g cube - translucent rubbermaid container, for a full month - enough place to swim, no ammonia or nitrites.
The sponge from the sump of the main tank, small powerhead and plastic hiding places, even some caulerpa for diversity, although it's not recommended.
Old 10/03/2007, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

5 gallon bucket with a cycled filter would be perfect for quarantining a clown.

Depending on the size of the tang, it may work....