Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2007, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

New pipes

Doryrhamphus excisus paulus bluestripe pipefish subspecies. I think. Got them from reef hot spot.

Mars

Snickers

Old 08/12/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Wow, are they really tiny?

55 Gallon Reef Under Construction
Old 08/15/2007, 06:48 PM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

cool looking too, thanx for sharing...
Old 08/16/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanks guys! Yeah, they are really small. I have a magnifying glass, though. THey're about 2 inches long.
Old 08/16/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Hi Molly,
What pretty little pipes. Thanks for sharing the great pics.
Old 08/22/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

what do you feed them?
Old 08/23/2007, 10:04 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

probably rotifer, and cyclopes since they have such tiny mouths....

i tried going to reefhotspot but it is not working for me!! i have been looking to buy a pair but cant find them anywhere.... sweet looking pipes though man good luck with them.
Old 08/23/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

yeah that is what i thinking too. Probably would be to hard to get them onto mysis or brine.
Old 08/23/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

They started out on bbs and copepods. I'm trying to get them onto frozen cyclops and rotifers, it's going so-so. Mysis is way too big. Even the hikari is bigger than their heads. They won't even snick at adult brine. Their snouts are only about as thick as a mechanical pencil lead.

They are growing! The one had a little notch in his tail when I got him, and it has healed and his tail is fantastic. The colors on these guys are amazing! They're truly different than bluestripes. From what I've read, this subspecies really only tops out at 2 to 2.8 inches...they don't get much bigger. I asked reefhotspot what the exact collection site was so I can properly identify them.

I tried to get a pair, too, and even included instructions on sexing in my order. But it's very difficult to sex these, they are soooo tiny. I got 2 males.

Good luck if you do decide to get some, and let me know if you need any help!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1183414

I'll post a newer pic sometime soon. I'll try to get some tonight.
Old 08/23/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Awesome thanks for the info. I am definitly looking for a pair if possible. Hopefully I can one. Keep me updated on their progress.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 08/30/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

They're eating frozen cyclops now. The generic kind, thank goodness.
Old 08/30/2007, 09:18 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

thats awesome!! just make sure you enrich that stuff!! bc cyclopes on its own is not enough, but its great that you got them started on some kind of frozen food post some pics when you get a chance!!
Old 08/31/2007, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

New pics in my gallery!
Old 08/31/2007, 06:27 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

very nice, how is that catalina doing in your reef? i know they are colder water fish... i want but just wondering if they adapt to warmer water reef....
Old 08/31/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

eric, she isn't keeping her catalinas in a tropical reef, she is keeping them in her subtropical setup. They won't adapt to warmer water. You need to be keeping them under 68 degrees.

Last edited by ann83; 08/31/2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08/31/2007, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for clarifying, Ann. I need to put a little caption under that pic in my gallery.

You'd be surprised how cool you can keep lots of corals and inverts.

We're moving pretty soon, so I plan to take most of this stuff out and take the Catalinas way cooler, like 60*. Even the upper 60's seems too warm for them to me. I don't know how anyone can put them in a tropical tank. It makes me sick that most places, even online fish stores will tell you the can live in tropical temps. I feel into that trap, but luckily had a good chiller. There are lots of neat temperate things you can get, too, if you look hard enough. Temperate tanks are really "hot" right now. Do a search for Steveweast's tank.

To stay on the subject of pipes, they're doing great still, of course Not shy at all. They recognize me, come up to the glass when they see me. But I know what they're thinking, "Look, there's that brine shrimp/cyclops dispenser."
Old 09/01/2007, 01:57 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

yea i saw them at an LFS and said to my self wow that is so messed up bc they were keeping them with all the tropical fish, i was just curious bc i thought hmm is the catalina being kept with tropical... thanks for the clarification makes me feel better