Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2007, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Say hello to my new friend yashia white ray

We just got through drip acclimation. Wish him luck!
Old 07/16/2007, 10:02 PM
Unregistered Member

I would love to get one of those. Very cool pickup.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 07/17/2007, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Thank you I got him for $32, I couldn't pass up that deal. I know he had been in the store for over a month.

He is doing well! Not shy at all, to my surprise. At feeding time today, he ate about 8 mysis! We named him Kenobi. I'll try to get more pics at feeding time tomorrow.
Old 07/18/2007, 02:37 AM
Big Boy Pants

Now all you need is a pistol shrimp named "obewan".

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 07/18/2007, 07:27 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Hehehe, great fish. Good luck

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 07/18/2007, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

That's the plan, actually! I have a nematodes named "Moby" and a pair of Catalinas named "Doby" and "Niarobi." My LFS is getting pistols in this week, one will be "Gwen Stefani" and one will be "obewan."

I'm such a dork sometimes.
Old 07/31/2007, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

New pics of Kenobie. You can tell he isn't very shy.

Old 07/31/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

he looks happy in his new home got a pistol for him yet?
Old 07/31/2007, 07:41 PM
Premium Member

Ok. I'm going to sound stupid right now, but...

I am afraid to get a pistol shrimp. I've hear they are peaceful with all but the smallest fish. I have some other tiny little gobies in the tank with him, a total of 4. They sometimes squabble, but never hurt each other. I can just see it now. One of the tiny gobies gets into a quarrel with Kenobie here, and his pistol shrimp shoots the tiny goby!

Could pistol shrimp kill my little snails and things? What exactly do they eat? They have those big guns for a reason...

Is that something I shouldn't be worrying about?

also, I have a hi-fin red banded goby, too. Can I put 2 pistol shrimp in the tank? The 2 shrimp gobies haven't even met yet. They stay within a 3 inch radius of their burrows on opposite ends of the tank.
Old 07/31/2007, 10:31 PM
Big Boy Pants

You will want to watch this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCC7XxRC4Iw

And a good article on pistol shrimp.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/alpheidshrpfaqs.htm

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 08/01/2007, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mollymonticello
Ok. I'm going to sound stupid right now, but...

I am afraid to get a pistol shrimp. I've hear they are peaceful with all but the smallest fish. I have some other tiny little gobies in the tank with him, a total of 4. They sometimes squabble, but never hurt each other. I can just see it now. One of the tiny gobies gets into a quarrel with Kenobie here, and his pistol shrimp shoots the tiny goby!

Could pistol shrimp kill my little snails and things? What exactly do they eat? They have those big guns for a reason...

Is that something I shouldn't be worrying about?

also, I have a hi-fin red banded goby, too. Can I put 2 pistol shrimp in the tank? The 2 shrimp gobies haven't even met yet. They stay within a 3 inch radius of their burrows on opposite ends of the tank.
Once you add that pistol shrimp, whichever goby happens to pair up, be prepared that goby may hide majority of the time and all you see is the head peaking out. Some gobies just hover in front of the hole and some may not. I previously had a yashe with a pistol shrimp. Yashe was always out and will only dart into safety with the pistol shrimp when scared. That yashe has died, but I now have a pair about 6 months ago with the same pistol shrimp and both have been hiding in the burrow ever since, with only their heads peaking out. But I also have a yellow watchman/pistol shrimp in another tank and the ywg is always out. So in my experience, it varies between even the same species.

And the 2 shrimp gobies may tend to fight to see who wants to share the burrow with the pistol shrimp. I don't mean to scare you, but it may happen, that's all

Good luck!
Old 08/02/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for that link. I like wetwebmedia alot.

I've decided to stay away from pistol shrimp for now. I tend to err on the side of caution.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

All I have to do is walk up to the tank...
Old 08/16/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

At one point I had at least 3 different Pistol shrimp in my tank.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 08/16/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

nice catalina goby. One of my favorites! even tho it's a colder water species
Old 08/16/2007, 03:41 PM
Keeper of Tangs

wow he is a sweet looking fish!
Old 08/21/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

I need to get a photo...I put in 2 peppermint shrimps the other day, and last night when I was feeding my tank, I saw Kenobie come out of his little home, and right behind him was a peppermint shrimp! The odd part is that the peppermint shrimp was touching Kenobie frequently with his antennae. When it was time to go back in the hole, Kenobie ushered the pep inside. They are still in there together. It's neat, but I bought the shrimp to eat a single aiptasia growing on my black sun coral...

Yeah, I am one of those people who thought my tank was cool enough for Catalinas. I keep it at 70*. It's not cool enough. I've had the pair of them for about 3 months now. I'm moving soon, so I'm going to set up a new tank for them when I do that and lower the temp to at most 65* I may go lower. It would be fun to have a cool water tank, anyway!