Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Slightly OT: Belt Sander Recommendations

Hi All,

I'm planning to purchase a belt sander for a non-reef related project (my wife wanted a new table for a breakfast nook), but I plan to use it for a new stand for my 135 in the near future. I do quite a few DIY projects, but I won't be using it for everyday, professional type, use. The table has a plywood center to which I have edge jointed solid boards around the perimiter. I don't have a planer and there I need to sand down some high spots where the boards weren't quite flat (I know I'll need to be careful not to sand through the top layer of the ply).

I like quality tools that I know will work and am willing to spend more up front so that I can know that it will work properly when I pick it up for (hopefully) years to come. The primary use will likely be cabinetry type work, but I do have some minor water damage in a small section of my wood floors that I may use it to touch up.

I have read a lot of reviews on Amazon. It seems like there are a lot of good and bad experiences out there from all of the major manufacturers, so I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to share their experiences good/bad about any particular models you have experience with. Also, I will likely go with a 3" sander, but if there is a good reason to rethink this and go with a 4" unit then I would like to hear those thoughts as well.

I'd like to keep the budget under $200, but if there is good reason to go a little higher then I'd rather do it right now rather than regret it later.

I already have Porter Cable Random Orbital and Palm sanders, I'm just trying to save myself some time and add something I 've been thinking about getting for a while for use on "my wife's" table.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Old 12/14/2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

sorry for the typo in the subject, meant to say "Recommendations"
Old 12/14/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Faster and will make a much nicer finish.

Old 12/15/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

What is that Donw?

Porter cable has always been on of the best for years. Any brand name will be fine. The 4x24 will be more aggresive. It is normally alot more money. I wouldnt know if the money justifies the extra time sanding in your case. I have a porter cable 4x24 for many years with no problems.
Old 12/15/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jefnalyssa
What is that Donw?

Porter cable has always been on of the best for years. Any brand name will be fine. The 4x24 will be more aggresive. It is normally alot more money. I wouldnt know if the money justifies the extra time sanding in your case. I have a porter cable 4x24 for many years with no problems.
Thats a cabinet scraper.

Don
Old 12/15/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Don, I'm sure you're right. I know that cabinet scrapers can produce excellent results, but I have never used one before. I may end up buying one so I can learn, but I still think I would like to get the sander anyway.

Jeff, Thanks for the info about the PC, I was looking at a couple of their models and they definitely seem like solid pieces of equipment. Does yours track well?
Old 12/15/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Selecting a belt sand depends on what you want to do with it. What are you plans?

Don
Old 12/15/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

I will be using it for the table project I am working on to clean up some high spots on the edge joints. I may have some similar needs when making the new stand and canopy for my 135 and I have a small section in my wood floors that needs some sanding due to water damage. Those are the immediate needs. I would probably also build a jig so that I could turn it upside down and use it on a bench for small projects.
Old 12/15/2007, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

I rarely find a "wood working" use for a belt sander. In any case the good models vary from year to year but you need to do some research at the wood magazines (Wood, Fine Wood Working, etc). You want to select a model that has good tracking!
Old 12/15/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

if you do woodworking like me, ie..not all that often but enough to keep busy, ryobi power tools are decent. not top of the line and certainly not industrial grade, but way better than craftsman or black and decker. every power tool i own are ryobi now. table saw, drills (corded and cordless) jigsaw, router. palm sander, belt sander, etc..all have been good to me. i had a few black and decker but got tired of returning them after one use due to something breaking on the pos.

take it easy on the belt sander though. those are for removing material quickly. i only use mine for removing old paint fast.
Old 12/15/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

I would just get the PC or something of the shelf at HD or lowes. They all work close to the same. I would not buy a B&D or a Ryobi tool but thats just me. Belt sanders are more of a carpenters to not a woodworkers tool.

Don
Old 12/15/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

hands down the best belt sander is the makita. I've used them for years. Don's right though a cabinet scraper is probably best for your application.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Mine tracks well. Ryobi is good for the money. The good thing about lowes or home depot is there return policy. If you get a less expensive one, and dont like it just take it back. Although for sanding the table I would use a random orbit sander. I know it would work great. If your unsure just use a finer grit sand paper.You can always use a rougher one if it isnt taking enough off. I just have know experience with the scraper.

Last edited by jefnalyssa; 12/15/2007 at 08:39 PM.