Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Open brain troubles.

I have noticed the last few nights that my false clown is hosting my open brain when the lights go off. My clown is now covered with brow/black spots and one white spot (not ICH, more like a sore). and My open brainis not AS open as he usually is, the outer part is inflated, for lack of a better word, but the inner part is nowhere to be seen, he usually opens up nice and pretty for me to see his whole body in all it's glory. Any ideas how to remidy this problem???
Old 06/01/2007, 01:44 PM
Slightly Obsessed

That's difficult. My clown has hosted in many things I've not wanted it to....and it's not very predictable. The best I can advise is to try to move the coral. My clown prefers to host in things that are in the lower portion of my tank.
Old 06/01/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

I'll give that a try, if worst comes to worst I'll remove the clown, but he is the oldest SW fish I have.
Old 06/14/2007, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

A guy I traded corals with once, told me that his clown started to host in his open brain and stressed out the brain to the point where it died. This is anecdotal of course, but be warned and good luck.
Old 06/14/2007, 10:48 AM
Moved On

When clowns first start to host they tend to get some dark/black spots on them at first.. I have also heard of people who have lost their open brain corals due to clowns hosting.. I believe I've read a post of someone who lost their clown due to it hosting the open brain coral! But dont quote me on that..

Anyway, I would just leave it be and let nature take its course.. The only thing that worries me is that white spot/sore you spoke of.