Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

clear shroom

One of my red shroom's stem is clear. is that bad? the shroom looks fine and opens up all day. all my other shrooms look fine.
why would it be doing that?
Old 10/29/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

One of my smaller striped mushrooms is mostly clear through and through. However it is shaded by its fellows. It opens up though, so I think it's pretty okay.

And yeah I realize that I didn't answer your question... If the shroom is opening and closing like normal, and it's getting enough light, I wouldn't be too concerned. If it stays closed, then I'd worry.
Old 11/01/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

I think that when this happens it is a form of bleaching. I have several in my tank that have gone clear, whitish and they all seem to grow in areas that don't get light. So I am just assuming that because there isnt light for the algae to thrive it doesn't, and then the mushroom just lives on alternate food for life.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

you are talking about the area that is under the cap, right?