Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 03:54 AM
Premium Member

Two Little Fishes phostban 150, what a POS

here is a note I just sent to reefgeek, I think it covers it all:

As i write this I can not stop shaking my head. I am stunned in utter dismay. In my 30 years of keeping aquaria, I have never come across a more deficient product. I am so disappointed, I have heard so many nice things about reefgeek and had high hopes that there was someone in the mail order industry that actually cared about the hobbyist. That can not possibly be true of a company that would put a phosban 150 in a box and mail it to a customer. The sad part about all this is that I had received this as a gift from my father for Christmas and will be putting it in the trash

If you are wondering why I hesitate to mention this product by name in the same sentence as skilter, seaclone and deep six it is because those produces so outclass this one that it would be an insult to they're manufactures.

The design and manufacture of this product is so shameful that it is an embarrassment to he industry. For starters, the "sponges" are not dense enough to be used for a mesh mod, in fact the pours in the mesh supplied are so big that palletized GAC can get through, and GFO falls right through like water through a strainer. Next, the input and output elbows leak with the slightest pressure, combine that with the fact that they only articulate 90 degrees, the weight of the pump has the tendency to pull the elbow off the reactor, one might think, this is all well and good, I will just use this product in the sump, however the label is made of paper and god knows what sort of glue they used to affix it.

So what they have successfully designed was a product that without heavy modification, if used as directed, will spill tank water all over your floor and dump GFO allover your sump

incidentally, I own the Kent marine version of this unit which I am very happy with

regards
mark
Old 12/27/2007, 09:32 AM
SpEd Man

I and many others have used these with no problems, so I'm not understanding what the issue is. If it's leaking at the intake elbow then lengthen the tubing so the pump is on the bottom of your sump and the elbow is not holding the weight of the pump. I didn't have any problem with Phosban falling through the sponge and it's much smaller than pelletized carbon. Oh, and what does any of this have to do with Reefgeek?
Old 12/27/2007, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

I use 3 of them myself and have had no issues what so ever. I also have owned a more expensive GEO media reactor that had the same type sponges in them.
Why go after reefgeek in multiple forums about this? Shouldn't you direct your observations and disgust in the product at TLF about it?

Just wondering?
Old 12/27/2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

I don not think a responsible retailer would sell this product and, i would like to warn as many people as possible about this particular product
Old 12/27/2007, 12:59 PM
SpEd Man

Okay, well find an online retailer that doesn't sell it. I've used Reef Geek multiple times and had nothing but the best service from them!
Old 12/27/2007, 01:04 PM
Rubberman

It's not a high end product as most that own one would admit. But what it does is allow even the most fugal reefer to have a reactor if they decide to use the GFO or GAC in this manner.

SteveU
Old 12/27/2007, 01:08 PM
secretary of NCPARS

sorry to not agree with you,but for the cost of the unit i rate it a plus.you may need to use plastic clamps on the in and out if you do not support the pump,and if you push too much flow you may have trouble with media being pushed thru,but the way i operate mine it works perfectly.and for the cost,you can spend more on two poly filters which will last about a month.for phos removal,i dont think you can beat it with keeping in mind it is a low cost alternative to custom built reactor.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

I have used one for over a year and a half now and never had this issue. Maybe you should try some tighter tubing and NO it doesn't let any through. The only thing it will let through is the fines which any unit does and you should be rinsing the GFO anyways.

I don't EVER come on threads like these and make comments, but the absurdity of this one left me no choice.
Old 12/27/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11464828#post11464828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gtrestoration
It's not a high end product as most that own one would admit. But what it does is allow even the most fugal reefer to have a reactor if they decide to use the GFO or GAC in this manner.

SteveU
I just think it should be advertised as a DIY project, it won't work well as designed. I think I may make a skimmer out of it
Old 12/27/2007, 03:30 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

I have 4 of them ( 3 for phosban, 1 for carbon ) and they work perfectly for me as designed.

And was it really necessary to make 3 of the exact same threads?
Old 12/27/2007, 03:34 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Here is what I wrote in one of his other threads:

I use two of them with no problems. As long as I rinse the Phosban well, I dont get leeching of the product into the tank. The only other way to get the media into the tank is to blast it with higher water pressure into the top sponge which is impossible if using the correct pump at the correct pressure.
I really think five.five-six either got a bad product with many flaws or is one of many people in this hobby that cannot figure out how to use something correctly and thus has problems with the product and blames the manufacturer. I dont mean to be rude but it is commen practice to see this behavior with skimmers and calcium reactors. People dont use them correctly and then get on here and call them pita's pr pos's and slam them.
five.five-six, dont throw it out, I'll take it and pay you shipping plus a few bucks for your trouble.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/27/2007, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

as many seasoned reefers have mentioned, the elbows are not substantual enough and the pads are too course for the advertised purpose.

I did read the instructions. believe me this is not a pilot error problem, i have had those and this is not one of them..

I have surmised that all one needs to do to use one of these is:

a) put zipties or clamps on the elbow junctions
b) buy a new set of pads that work for GFO
c) scrape the lable off with a heat gun for insump use

once you do those things, just hook it to a pump and you are ready to rock...

um, the manufacture could address these issues for a few cents and sell a working product

I posted this in 4 places as I want to warn as many people as possible. products run the gammet from great to junk, I have used quite a few. when I find somthing on either end of the spectrum, I wan to let as many people know as possible. I also recently aqired a moon sim for my ACIII, after a little bit more review, I will be singing it's praises
Old 12/27/2007, 04:46 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

I didn't see anyone one in this thread say that their unit didn't work as expected for them.

I like to consider myself a seasoned reefer -- been doing it since '91-'92 and I have had 0 issues with me.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

My tlf phosban reactor works great for me. There's always someone that blows things way out of proportion.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11466699#post11466699 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccorpse27
My tlf phosban reactor works great for me. There's always someone that blows things way out of proportion.
cool, what modifications did you make to it?

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11466190#post11466190 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I didn't see anyone one in this thread say that their unit didn't work as expected for them.

I like to consider myself a seasoned reefer -- been doing it since '91-'92 and I have had 0 issues with me.
I have posted this sevrel places, admiditly many people are happy with them. but many are not.

I have to admit, I am a bit preplexed with all the people who say thay have not had any leak problems, I am a prety good DIYer, and I just do not see how those elbows could keep a seal for any appriciable time whithout a clamp of some sort

Last edited by five.five-six; 12/27/2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12/27/2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Like I said in my previous reply I have never had an issue. I have 2 of them side by side daisy chained and run Carbon in one and Phosban in the other. There is no leaking on any fitting and they have been in use for months except for the short time I change the media.
You said the weight of the pump pulls the elbow off. Are you actually letting a pump hang off the unit when in use? My pump sits in the sump and a line runs from it to my daisy chained reactors and is no having its weight hanging off the elbow on the unit.
They get knock around a good deal when I`m cleaning the sump and have yet had a problem. BTW there are no modifications to either of them to get them to work as described or designed.

If you have so much flow its pushing your media through the sponges you probably have too much flow. I know Phosban from TLF is minute in size and its not "falling" through the sponges like water when in use or is refilled at all.

Not trying to argue with you on if its good or bad but maybe its an issue on how its being used in terms of pumps, mounting, flow and etc.

I have a single unit on my other tank and its been working fine since day one also. You do get some initial blow by when the unit is first run and the media is " rinsing" but after a minute it clears out and is fine after that.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:13 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Unable to figure out how to make something work? Just post a thread claiming that the product is inferior and a POS lol.
The guy that posted the origional post does not seem to have luck with anything in this hobby except griping.
Dude, you need to ask for help instead of making so many false claims. Out of his three posts there were 2 other people that agreed with him, not "many".
Stop making yourself look bad by posting more false claims. The TLF reactor is not DIY like you keep saying. It came with instructions, use them or ask for help from people that have better luck with things. It is obvious that you put it together wrong.
If you read his previous posts http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...earchid=9115157 you will see a pattern of him being unable to make things work in this hobby. I really didnt see any questions or him asking for help, just blaming others for his misfortune.
Send me that reactor and anything else you cannot figure out. i will pay your shipping.
PM me for info dude.

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/27/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

All I can say is WOW

I use one, Sure its not a 300.00 container, but works just fine, and who is gonna look at my sump anyways-???????
Old 12/27/2007, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

I dont think this was asked, just browsed this thread, but I hope you have the ball valve BEFORE the water enters the reactor and not on the output side causing the unit the build pressure and leak at the elbows. The ball valve goes between the powerhead and the reactor. I dont see how your elbows leak with the little pressure these need to run.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11466934#post11466934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Phyxius
You said the weight of the pump pulls the elbow off. Are you actually letting a pump hang off the unit when in use? My pump sits in the sump and a line runs from it to my daisy chained reactors and is no having its weight hanging off the elbow on the unit.
If you have so much flow its pushing your media through the sponges you probably have too much flow. I know Phosban from TLF is minute in size and its not "falling" through the sponges like water when in use or is refilled at all.
Well maybe I am missing something, the effluent tube comes out parallel to the water, it does not point straight down to the sump floor it needs another 90 degrees

I am using a 404 on the 1st or 2nd click, the problem is that the pad is to course for GFO, I am not even using the ball valve, the powerhead is adjustable

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11467114#post11467114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7

If you read his previous posts http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...earchid=9115157 you will see a pattern of him being unable to make things work in this hobby.

The only thing I can find there that does not work is your link
Old 12/27/2007, 08:38 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

The link doesnt work because everytime you post anything including defensive rantings the web address seems to change.
Myself and "many" others in all of your threads seems to think that you are using it wrong. Dont you think that there is even a slight possiblility that we may be right? Dont you think that after dozens of people took the time to explain that the mesh is the correct size for Phosban and all of the other major brands of phosphate remover media that we may be right? Dont you think that out of the dozens of people in all of your threads took the time to explain that we havent had problems with the elbows that we may be right? Is it possible that the design of the reactor works for thousands of people and that the many problems you are having may be related to the way you are using it? Is it even possible that after so many people have taken the time to respond in a positive way and only a couple agree with you that you may be using the reactor incorrectly and that your problems are related to user error?
Getting on here, quoting posting after posting in your almost identical threads related to the same rantings concerning a perfectly fine piece of equipment as posted by dozens of seasoned reefers and taking quotes of other peoples posts and explaining yourself and continuosly claiming that the product is inferior and a DIY project is not a friendly way of asking for help, helping the community, or maiking yourself look good.
Sorry that was such a long sentance but come on, give up, try again with the reactor or sell it. Stop taking the suggestions and comments from myself and others if you are not going to use them. Dont bother getting back into your threads concerning the TLF reactor just to keep fighting and argueing if you refuse to even for a second consider the view of other mature reefers with the same piece of equipment as palpable.
have a great day, thats it for me.

Old 12/27/2007, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11467666#post11467666 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Engine 7
The link doesnt work because everytime you post anything including defensive rantings the web address seems to change.
is that all you do is gripe? gripe gripe gripe ....ohh the internet dossn't work

ok you win the phosban reactor is the greatest invention in the history of man... now go find someone else to bother...

seriously, go back an read the op. all I did was post my displeasure with the product and here comes flame master flash

don't you have anything better to do,

I mean if flaming me means you stop beating your kids or kicking your dog, by all means flame away
Old 12/27/2007, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

I have two of them and they work fantastic. Maybe you just got a bad unit.

-Mike
Old 12/27/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

fwiw

i felt like the reactor was a bit on the 'cheap' side too

that is it didnt seem like a high quality piece...
i see people hanging these all the time on the outside of their sumps and i gasp bec it wouldnt take much for one of the hoses to get pulled off - as they are just barely hanging onto the fittings.
have never noted any problems w/ the sponges as mentioned by the OP of this thread.

that said
you get what you pay for!... and i think i only paid 30-35 for reactor plus media that came with it... and w/ modifications this cheap piece of equipment is HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL! efficient and effective!... i have yet to have any problems w/ mine and bottom line dont see the 'need' to have anything fancier or more heavy duty then this unit.

for PEACE OF MIND
i removed the label and all the glue holding it on... then put hose clamps on all the fittings... only using a rio50 which never thought would put a dent in the phosphates in my 210gal system but in less then a week they were down! so w/ such small pump (needed or necessary) one doesnt need to worry anyway about high pressure causing the hoses to pop off (not that they would anyway but w/o the clamps i certainly wouldnt trust them)... and it goes without saying that mine was placed INSIDE the sump or sitting inside the sump - would NEVER trust this unit sitting outside the sump - although i know i am in the minority here as it seems everyone using these has them hanging outside - i dont want to take the chance w/ mine!...

for the money imo this is a highly effective unit
and considering the high price on everything in this industry i would buy another one of these w/o a second thought (again using modifications listed above).

regards
Old 12/27/2007, 10:11 PM
SpEd Man

Is anyone else still confused about why Reef Geek was flamed?