Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2006, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Very nice indeed...can i have them? ;0)
Old 12/26/2006, 11:20 PM

Copps - I could blabber on but I think "Wow!" And "Congrats!" sum up my thoughts.

One more thing...have you told the fish they're famous? Tell them "Well done" for me -

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 12/27/2006, 01:41 AM
Premium Member

Great pics!!!!
It's like you have been given a little bit of history to take care of. congrats.
Old 12/27/2006, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Wayne, you have an amazing fish collection in that system... what temp have you guys been running with the interuptus? The debelius are really something... what a fish! Frank hand force fed his wild female for months as when he originally got the pair they were in bad shape... it payed off and he only raised about a dozen or so of these beauties... he's held onto four and will keep them for good... We talked about this and one thing that may take him out of his break would be more eggs from these guys. He only sold a couple after keeping some and sending some to the original owners of the parents, but he sold them for $4500 a piece... The last wild ones for sale in the US I think went for $5500 years ago. They show up VERY scarcely in Japan, and Frank was lucky to receive this pair... What a sight though... Here's a shot of two of the babies he sold...
John,

Thanks. I keep my tank between 77-79 degrees. Those Debelius are beautiful, especially the one of the adult. At those prices, I would be constantly stressed out having them in my tank. One of my Interruptus got a bacterial infection once. It took a couple weeks of feeding him medicated food before he was completely cured, but it was two weeks of pure worrying that one of my babies may not survive.
Old 12/27/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Treg,

Whats the story behind the multicolor in your earlier post. Is this a cross with something else, why is it so......colorless? Its a very neat fish, don't get me wrong, just wondering why its so unusal.

Dave
Old 12/27/2006, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

When I first contacted Frank it was for the Inturruptus. After we talked back and forth for a couple of days, I said I would take her and then he mentioned he has had her paired with one of his captive bred Multicolors for the past 1 1/2-2 yrs. Asked if I was interested in the pair... How can you turn that down?

I bought him sight unseen.
Like you, I was a little suprised when I opened the box and seen him.
No black and blue bands on the forhead? Different.

When I emailed frank to let him know they arrived ok and to ask about the Multicolors "lack" of color. He said that all of his captive bred Multis lost the blue and black bands when they were about 1 year old.

His response:
Quote:
All of the captive-bred multicolors came out this way. They have the bands for the first year and then loose them. Interesting change, isn't it?
It is indeed interesting. He might not be the prettiest Multicolor in the sea but he is a cool fish.
I dont mind different.

Another pic, from yesterday.

Old 12/27/2006, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

A couple more of the female Interruptus:

Old 12/27/2006, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Its definitely a neat fish. I am a big fan of unusal fish like this and hybrids, don't know why just really like them.

Dave
Old 12/28/2006, 12:41 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks again all... these guys are well settled into their new home

Jeremy... Rich Pyle's the man! He's also on Oahu where Frank is and they keep in touch... Rich is a good man for Frank to have They discover new species on practically every dive into the twilight zone in some areas... For those who haven't seen these images, they are the first of the most recently described angelfish species Centropyge abei. The images are from the Coral Reef Research Foundation in Palau. They were taken by a manned submersible at about 400 feet. I spoke to Charles Delbeek last week about these and he said the fish was found on a mission searching for coelacanths, funded by an aquarium in Japan. The species name abei came from the last name of the man who funded the operation... That's more exciting than finding a coelacanth! Anyway... Rich Pyle is working on a paper on this fish now and a holotype specimen has been collected

Harry thanks Bud! Anyway... here's a couple of videos from over the weekend I shot right before the lights went out... Only the actinics are on, and so this was between 12:30 am and 1:00 am... It was amazing to watch... The male is displaying to the female and going nuts... no eggs were released and I haven't had the opportunity to see the system that late at night as I have family in town and our 17 month old baby has been sick, but I'll try and get more. I'm still working on the aquascaping, and some corals are on the sand awaiting placement as I've since then moved my Solomon percula pair into the tank with their near basketball size frogspawn. Original plans were to have them in a H. magnifica, but I do not want any anemone in the system with this pair of angels, even though their not one of the notorius fish eating carpets... Anyway... here's two separate videos... Thanks to Treg again for hosting them... It's mainly the male just trying to court the female... she seems uninterested... (guys insert joke about wife or girlfriend here)... It was quite dramatic... friggin' exciting to put it bluntly... what a site! Resplendens courting in my tank!

Johnvu... No!

Angelfish and pactrop... am I wrong in thinking they're historic? I just love what Frank's doing and am more than happy to provide his fish a retirement home where I can...

Wayne... I know what you mean... that's just a different level of spending I wouldn't be comfortable doing... The money for that pair would cover my upgrade on my larger system...

Treg, those multicolors are wild! He's wicked! It almost looks melanistic... This makes me wonder if some variants like this in nature loose the blue pigments from something in the environment... I've got a trio of regular RS regals, but would love one of those melanistic guys from the Maldives... Am I the only one that sees a similarity in the loss of color? The multicolors lost their black and blue and kept their gold and white... and so did the regals... here's a shot of one... These always go to Japan although there's an unconfirmed report one showed up at the wholesalers in LA and sold for $1500 soon after...

Hey Dave... you mean you like rare angels?

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 12/28/2006, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

John,
Awesome video! That is exactly what my male interruptus does. He does that same dance quite frequently now. Wow! Now I know for sure it is some sort of courtship ritual.
Old 12/28/2006, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the vid. I am a visual junky. pics and video!!!!
Old 12/28/2006, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Awesome pics, videos and thread.
Old 12/28/2006, 03:02 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven Pro
We did ask Frank to speak at MACNA, but I believe he had to turn us down because that was a busy time for work. But, if things have change and he is interested and available, have him contact me. I will make sure we have a speaker spot for him.
Hey Steven, I spoke to Frank Tuesday and brought up MACNA and he respectfully declined. Going away from his work is a tough thing to do and he'll be very busy this year despite most likely not raising fry... Thanks very much though for your work and I look forward to MACNA this coming year...

I will ask again... who's going to MACNA in Pittsburgh? yay or nay?

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 12/28/2006, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

How bout a Hopefully.
I would really like to go. That is always a busy season for me also.

John, I'm by far an expert in color pigmentation but I dont know if I would say he is melanistic.
From my past days of keeping a few boas, I am just slightly familiar with different pigments.

A quick google search says:

Melanism is an increased amount of black or nearly black pigmentation.

Melanism and abundism are often the result of genetic mutation, but can result from other stimuli, such as exposure to abnormal temperature changes during gestation which transiently alter gene transcription.

There is also Hypomelanistic:
Having less black and/or brown color than normal. These animals still have some pigment and may simply look "faded".
Old 12/28/2006, 03:36 PM
angelfish nut!

Woops... I meant xanthic... basically similar to an albino but retains the yellow or orange pigments... By the way... may I request more pics of that multicolor?

I too am at MACNA unless I'm travelling with work...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/28/2006, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

I'll have to go to work on that.

Here is one from lastnight, playing with a new camera lens.

Old 12/28/2006, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Ok. Because I have nothing else productive to do today...

Old 12/28/2006, 05:19 PM
angelfish nut!

Sweet!!!!!!! What a unique fish! I need a more expensive camera...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/28/2006, 06:19 PM
2/08 HB first show

actually, he is pretty. As I said before I have not really been into angels but this thread has really peaked my interest in this species

Wonder if the fry would turn out the same way from this captive bred fish?... Or has that been done> someones breeding the captives that look like yours?

It's interesting as all lost at 1 year.

A person can solve a lot of problems by FIRST using a QT tank.. QT all new fish.
Old 12/28/2006, 08:12 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Is this the fish you have the parents of, Copps? I've been looking at this one for a week or two, but haven't plunked down the dough yet (read- haven't figured how to hide from wife)

BTW- I'll be at MACNA for sure because I have to work
Tony

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...3298&siteid=20
Old 12/28/2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
Angelfish and pactrop... am I wrong in thinking they're historic? I just love what Frank's doing and am more than happy to provide his fish a retirement home where I can...
OMGosh - did I come off as sarcastic ???? No way at all - the only way I could be more excited about these fish is if they were retiring at my house!

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 12/28/2006, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

No. I didn't think that at all. I was agreeing with you. I think it is something special.
Old 12/28/2006, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

I absolutely love that multicolor, the more pictures you show of it the more I like it. It would be a neat display to have it with a normally colored one.

Dave
Old 12/28/2006, 09:10 PM
angelfish nut!

Hattie... welcome aboard the angel train! How could you not love these guys? It's great to be able to find fish that will exhibit such natural behaviors in our small glass boxes

Tony, those are them! You can get them direct from Frank at www.rcthawaii.com. If anyone is interested PM me and I could personally let Frank know... When you order a pair through Frank, he actually places them together for a few days to weeks before they ship. Nick's pair (nbd13) is already placed together and will be shipping through the New Year. Again, January will be the last month these fish are ever available... The color is really coming out on them as they are maturing...

Marie and pactrop, not at all! My comment may have come off that way, but I knew you guys meant well... sorry the way I phrased that... What I really meant was "Are WE wrong in thinking that?" I'm laid back... This hobby is about enjoyment and sharing these fish with other people that appreciate them online here is a real pleasure... I love getting firsthand experience from RC and offer my own when I can... One thing is clear... we all need to be keeping more groups of angels!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/28/2006, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Hattie B,
That is a good question about what his Fry would look like...
I dont suppose we will ever know the answer considering Frank is the only one to ever breed these in captivity.
Unless maybe Frank kept a pair back for himself... John???

Tony,
Quote:
haven't figured how to hide from wife.
Quote:
hopefully the wife cannot distinguish him from a flameback .
Now you just need to come up with that secrete PayPal account from selling frags.

Dave,
Thanks. The more I am around these new guys the more I am coming attached to the Multi. He has a lot of character (for an angelfish!)
I havnt got either feeding from my fingers yet but he is now the first fish to greet me at the glass.
That is a great idea on matching him up with a normally colored one. Maybe someday I can do that with each of them.