Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/10/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Six line and a Carpenters???

Has anyone kept these two fish together? I am wondering if the sixline would pick on the Carpenters. Being that they are of a different genus do you think they could be ok?
Old 05/10/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

My six line killed my flasher wrasse... bullied him into a cave and never let him come out. Did the same thing to my possum wrasse. I thought with 210 gal and a ton of live rock that they could live and let live. I was wrong The six line dose get along okay with a yellow coris. I wanted to add a mystery wrasse but just don't want to risk it at this point. Just my $0.02
Old 05/10/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Every 6line i have ever heard of was a nasty little critter. I wouldnt put any small docile fish in with one no matter what kind.
Old 05/10/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

I have heard that....but my friends sixline is in with firefish, a small yellow stripe anthias, and a yellow watchman goby with no aggresion. I didnt know how often they were passive or if his was an exception.
I was thinking if he was last after other fish were settled... but you never know with anything in this hobby. I might just keep looking. Anyone know about 4-line wrasses?
Old 05/10/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

My six line is fine with my gobies, blennys, tangs, and even a pipefish. He makes sushi out of other wrasses though... even wrasses more than twice his size. If I had it to do over again, I would not have added him to my system. I would be very cautious adding a six line with another wrasse
Old 05/11/2007, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

Sixlines definitely will bully all fairy and flasher wrasses. If you haven't added a sixline, then don't unless you want him to be your only wrasse. Fishyvet, definitely don't add a mystery wrasse with your sixline. Mystery wrasse is very similar to the possum wrasse. If you felt bad having your $16 fish kill a $50 fish, imagine how you'd feel if he killed a $150-$200 fish! Mystery wrasses are neat little guys though with tons of personality, if your tank wasn't so large I'd say find a way to pull your sixline out. You still could and it might be worth the hassle of using a fishtrap.

50 Gallon Barebottom and LR, asstd Zoo's, LPS etc. Fish: Fairies and Flashers, black Saddleback clown pair, true perk, pink bar goby, 5 blue/Green Chromis
Old 05/11/2007, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

thanks for all the help...I might be replanning my fish list
Old 05/11/2007, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

For everyone who posted a horror story about a sixline bullying larger wrasses, I'm wondering in what order the fish were added?

I just added a very small sixline to my tank with a full-grown mystery wrasse. The mystery chased the sixline around a lot in the first few days, but they seem to have sorted things out. I'm hoping that will establish the dominance in the tank so the sixline won't get too uppity as it gets older. Wishful thinking or am I looking at trouble down the line?
Old 05/11/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Trouble down the line.
I have never heard of anyone who didn't end up regreting the combination of a 6-line (or any other member of that geinus) and other docile wrasses.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 05/11/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan115
Hey Ryan, an alternative fish similar to the Six Line is the Secretive Wrasse. It doesn't have the colour variation of the Six Line but it is similar in shape and size. Here's the thread that I started on this fish:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1116571

He is in my tank with Carpenter's Wrasse, Purple Firefish, Bicolor Dottyback, etc. and none of them are bothering each other.

Good luck with your wish list.

HTH.

Raymond
Old 05/11/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan115
You don't have to replan. If you 6 line is like many others it will jump out soon enough. It is sad, but true.