Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 09/21/2005, 10:40 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Mogrash
Eek! Guess I gotta go by some more plumbing.

Wish you luck with the hurricane. My grandfather has a summer house down in Rockport on the water...wonder if it will still be there.
There was an error in my last post to you:

Quote:
...then go into a Tee, and continue with 2" until you have to ramp it down to 1" or 3/4" outlets.
That should have read "... and continue with 1.5" unitl you have to ramp it down..."

I think we are prepared here now. I did fill up my tank with gas because I know tomorrow the price will be higher. I wanted to buy a couple of 5g gas cans, but only found ones for kerosene that were double the price. I got both filled up, so I can fuel the generator if necessary. Tomorrow I'm going to test run the generator to make sure it works.

I also picked up some flashlights, and will collect RO/DI water for the next couple of days incase we have no available water for a few days. I'll still need to top off. I found some battery powered air pumps, and some batteries.

Hopefully none of this stuff will be necessary.
Old 09/21/2005, 10:52 PM
Pink People Eater!!!

ehh were in dallas/ftworth i dont anticipate much trouble, but i got some battery airpumps anyways, i think you'd need quite a few marc

To reef, Or not to reef,

Whats the question?

Little C-4 Knockin at your door.
Yesh Commmanddaaa
(Red Alert 2, LionXFish)
Old 09/21/2005, 11:10 PM
TRC Leader

The generator will be best, but the battery pumps will be good for the 29g and the pico. If I have to rearrange things, I will.
Old 09/21/2005, 11:19 PM
Pink People Eater!!!

ahh, i didnt know you had a generator, i've just bought two battery "bubblers" for my 58, from what i've read should be overkill but i'll just go one at a time

To reef, Or not to reef,

Whats the question?

Little C-4 Knockin at your door.
Yesh Commmanddaaa
(Red Alert 2, LionXFish)
Old 09/22/2005, 12:00 AM
In over my head!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Tomorrow I'm going to test run the generator to make sure it works.
This is a good idea, I did the same with mine before Katrina brushed through S. FL. I keep meaning to buy a can of carb cleaner and an engine repair manual to put with my hurricane stuff. Murphy's law says the only time I won't be able to crank the generator will be precisely when I need it the most.

Also, a chain and padlock to tie down your generator isn't a bad idea. I know someone who went outside to "gas up" their generator after it stopped running, only to find a couple of jerks loading it into their pickup truck.
Old 09/22/2005, 05:51 AM
Reef Addict

when i first got my generator i left gas in the carb & dint use it for about 8 months, what a pain to get it going when i tried, but now i shut the gas off so the carb runs dry & test it every other month starts right up
Old 09/22/2005, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info regarding the Mag from everyone. Melev, I figured that was a typo...but then given the oddity (or deception as Travis pointed out) that the output from the Mag is 3/4" (on the pump itsself) its kinda odd in the first place that you would have to increase the size of the return. Gonna be a pain to ramp up from 3/4" to 1.5" then back down again! Maybe I should get a homedepot card....

Wish you all luck with the storm! Wish I could give advice, but last time I was in a hurricane was at the age of 7 in Houston (though if I recall we had a tornado spawned from the hurricane that ripped through our neighborhood). Four people sitting in a bathtub is always fun!
Old 09/22/2005, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Melev,

How do you mount your frags, and why/how long do you leave your frags in your prop zone?

Was curious because I've noticed the superglue 'burns' some corals and the epoxy tends to take forever to get coated with coralline or the coral itself. It also appears that you have removed many of the frags from the rocks/plugs they were attatched to.

Any while I'm on the subject, does anyone else hate the mounting of corals that come attatched to coke bottle tops and the blue caps?

I love the Dendrophyllia. Is it photosynthetic unlike its cousins? Or is it just a filterfeeder that tolerates the light?

My LFS have some (course it put them directly into his display tank). Seems all the nice pieces go into his display tank.... (can't complain too much, he frags stuff off the fast growing acros and then sells the frags).
Old 09/22/2005, 02:02 PM
TRC Leader

I'll see if I can get the generator fired up in a bit. And I agree about bolting down the generator. I have a pretty decent cable lock that I used to use to keep my propane buffer from being stolen.

I'm almost done with my MACNA pictures. I'll probably get those online by this evening.

Mogrash, I use superglue gel (cyano acrylate) to secure frags to either LR or plugs. You dry the base of the coral and the spot on the rock you plan to glue it, then appy the gel. Press the coral against it for 30 to 60 seconds, then dip the whole thing in a bowl of tank water for a few seconds. Now it is ready to be placed in your tank.

If you happen to have 'accellerator', you can use a q-tip to put this on the rock, and the gel on the coral. Now you only have to hold it 5 seconds, and it will bond.

Another product is a 2-part putty by Two Little Fishies that works pretty well. However, use too much of it and your skimmer goes nuts.

Regarding the Mag pump, I've never thought of it as misleading or cheating, but I see Travis' point. I just know what the instructions state, and point those out to everyone else that doesn't read them.

I need to look up about the Dendrophyllia. Everyone has been asking me that, and I just don't know the answer.
Old 09/22/2005, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

There is a much cheaper alternative to the TLF epoxy. You can get the same stuff at your local hardware store. I buy it from several different stores in town. It is packaged under a different name at each store but is the same stuff. Just look for the green epoxy and make sure it says that it cures under water.

melev, have you ever tried the superglue >> epoxy >> superglue method? I always used to use superglue gel alone and it worked fine and all but it just isn't the best when it comes to mounting frags under water. It holds them but they are liable to be knocked over by a snail. For underwater mounting I first mount the frag to a dry piece of rubble with superglue gel. Then put some superglue gel on the bottom of the rubble. Then put a ball of epoxy on top of the glue. Then put some more superglue gel on top of the epoxy and mount the rubble, with frag on it, in the tank. It makes a nice secure hold and allows you to easily remove the piece of rubble later. What I like about this method is as long as you use a large enough piece of rubble, the coral won't encrust onto your aquascape so you can easily move it later on. Once I tried this method once, I've never looked back. You can mount the rubble sideways, upside down, even to the wall of your tank with this method. This method works better than epoxy alone because the epoxy typically isn't very "sticky" so the superglue keeps it stuck to the rubble and aquascape.

Looking forward to seeing those MACNA pictures... Could you give me a list of the topics that were discussed at the conference? Do they have any videos?
Old 09/22/2005, 06:46 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never bonded frags that way, but I've heard of it. I just saw how one guy glued a Milli colony to the backwall of his tank. Amazing.

The list of topics must surely be available online at www.macnaxvii.com - That way I don't have to type it. WAMAS had something like 21 to 30 speakers at the conference, and had some streaming video during the conference as well.
Old 09/22/2005, 11:48 PM
TRC Leader

Okay, here are the 13 megs worth of pictures. I did break it up over 6 pages, so it shouldn't be too bad for y'all. I still need to edit 5 brief videos, and will add those to the Cool Stuff page later.

MACNA XVII
Old 09/22/2005, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never bonded frags that way, but I've heard of it. I just saw how one guy glued a Milli colony to the backwall of his tank. Amazing.
What kind of crazy guy would do that???
Old 09/23/2005, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

Marc, I am curious about your conversation with the NoSickFish rep. Any info would be great.
Old 09/23/2005, 12:34 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by GregM779
What kind of crazy guy would do that???
I didn't post your name because I knew I had it wrong. Okay everyone, it was Greg!
Old 09/23/2005, 12:37 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by AJP
Marc, I am curious about your conversation with the NoSickFish rep. Any info would be great.
I asked specifically what is in the bottle, and this was asked about a dozen different ways. I never did get a straight answer. I wonder if he even knows. He stated something about there being 8 to 11 different ingredients in each bottle.

I have a problem with using a product that states it is reef-safe but doesn't give me the lowdown. I mean, I guess if it works, that is great and I don't need to know, but at the same time if this is Ginger in a bottle, just tell me.

There is a decent thread about this either in the chemistry forum or A. Calfo's forum. I need to go read those and see what has been discussed or determined.
Old 09/23/2005, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I asked specifically what is in the bottle, and this was asked about a dozen different ways. I never did get a straight answer. I wonder if he even knows. He stated something about there being 8 to 11 different ingredients in each bottle.

I have a problem with using a product that states it is reef-safe but doesn't give me the lowdown. I mean, I guess if it works, that is great and I don't need to know, but at the same time if this is Ginger in a bottle, just tell me.

There is a decent thread about this either in the chemistry forum or A. Calfo's forum. I need to go read those and see what has been discussed or determined.
I am lazy so if you find them hit me with a link please.
Old 09/23/2005, 01:09 AM
TRC Leader

I can't find anything Adam. Nice, huh?

In the meantime, here are two videos from MACNA:

ORA Tank 3 megs
VorTech pump 6 megs
Old 09/23/2005, 09:43 AM
Carpe Noctem

Nice videos there. The pump has certainly spiked my interest!
Old 09/23/2005, 09:51 AM
I'll take SWords for $500

Marc, good luck with everything!!! I'm feelin for ya man. I wish I had something to donate to help out.
Old 09/23/2005, 10:36 AM
TRC Leader

Bryan, if you are talking about H. rita, I think we are going to be okay. It looks like it will pass through Tyler, which is 2 hours east of my home. I did get the generator to start up once I discovered the tiny valve on the gas line that needed opening. Let's hope I don't need to use it.

I will start collecting RO water just in case we don't have water for a few days for some reason.
Old 09/23/2005, 10:44 AM
Carpe Noctem

So on your pics from MASNA, on the venders page. What are you looking at during the HOB skimmer pics? On the last pic it looks like your being told to look at the eyes, not elsewhere. ROFL. Oh man that's the laugh I needed this morning!
Old 09/23/2005, 10:48 AM
TRC Leader

That was one of many beautiful mermaids in attendance. This particular one was taken by Justin, the Bermuda guy. And I was looking at the corals! ... yeah, that's it, the corals.
Old 09/23/2005, 11:05 AM
I'll take SWords for $500

marc, yea, thats what i meant. thought you were in the path. phew. good thing. i mean, for you. yea, thats what i meant. wasnt thinking of that beatiful reef :-)
Old 09/23/2005, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Where were the returns on that ORA tank?? You would have to have a lot of flow to keep it streaming like that, it would make an awesome clam tank.