Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/07/2002, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

I've never thought of that. I could see that happening with smaller tanks. My tank is a 75g, quite heavy. It would take some effort to tip it over using fishing line. Use your best judgement when using the bag trick.

– Steve
Old 02/07/2002, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

with all those secrets out there what is the best one for cleaning acrylic?
Old 02/07/2002, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

I use 35mm canisters to soak frozen brine shrimp and mysis in Selcon or Zoe. Put 3 frozen cubes in the canister add a little selcon or zoe. Do a quick shake and let it defrost in the frig. It's enough to last a couple of days........
Old 02/07/2002, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Check out the baby section of your grocery store for useful items. They often have the small syringes that others have mentioned as well as baby bottle brushes (useful in cleaning the protein skimmer).
Old 02/07/2002, 06:03 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Wow!!! This has been a more informative thread then I could have ever hoped for!!! Thanks to all who contributed. There are so many things I have learned and after I print this out i'm sure i'll refer to it many times.

Thanks, again!!!
Angela.
Old 02/07/2002, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Use a foam paint brush to clean the inside tube of the protein skimmer. Just get a smaller one so it fits inside the tube.

Susie
Old 02/07/2002, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

HI
I have a reef ready aquarium and the side with the corner over flow causes saltcreep on the inside of my canopy. Just looking at the overflow you would never see the small droplets it splashes up. Well, after a 1 1/2 years this splashing has caused the epoxy paint I used on the inside to peel. I removed the canopy and scraped all of the loose paint and resealed with urethane. I didn't understand why only the end with the overflow pealed. Thats when I placed a pie shaped piece of plexy glass over the top of the overflow. As soon as I did this I started to see drops being splashed on the plexy glass. Well, I guess its to late to say to make a long story short but I no longer have saltcreep in that corner anymore. On the pie shaped piece of plexy glass I put self sticking rubber bumpers on each of the corners (the kind used to silence a cabinet door when its shut) so that the piece would sit 1/2" above the over flow on the tank trim.
hth
Ralph
Old 02/07/2002, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Hey Shooter9er, for ACRYLIC or glass use a new spay bottle from wal-mart, fill it up with this great new stuff called fresh water spray down the tank & wipe clean with news paper or paper towels. For inside u can use a Algae Mit or be cheap like me & use paper towels.

P.S. For those of us that buy used tanks that have water lines inbedded in the glass, Mureatic acid works great (1 part acid 10 parts water), Please wear rubber gloves.
Old 02/07/2002, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

I have found that astronomy flashlights are really nice for looking at critters at night. These flashlights use red LEDs to emit light and are inexpensive.

Use thin strips of old nylons to mount softie coral frags. The nylons don't cut the coral as much as a rubberband.

Everytime I go to the LFS to buy something I ask them for a little silver dollar-size rock frag. Usually they will just throw it in for free. You never know when you will need a little rock for mounting a coral frag.

We could probably write a book on the numerous uses for empty 200gal salt buckets.
Old 02/07/2002, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone mentioned using a laser pointer to point thing out in the tank to people....
Old 02/07/2002, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Well, i'll start the book then. Here goes for uses of 5 gallon pickle/salt buckets:
1) water changes
2) mixing water for water chaanges
3) mixing kalk
4) large kalk dripper
5) holding tank for new specimens
6) holding tank when exporting algae
7) stool to reach into tank
8) seat when working on sump
9) bio-ball chamber of a trickle filter (or a past use for most of us)
10) stand for kalk dripper
11) LR curing vat (small batches)
12) LS cycling container

There's a few, so keep listing guys.........

DW302
Old 02/07/2002, 08:20 PM
I need to get a life.

laser pointers can hurt your eyes, right? wouldn't you risk frying fragile corals?

on the other hand, you could use them to fry aptasia...
Old 02/07/2002, 09:14 PM
Recovering Acanoholic

One more thing

Aout those magnets, mine doubles as a food clip. I was sick of finding those suction cup food clips all over the bottom and tucked under rocks in the darndest places, so I started using the algae magnet. Works great, and I can move the nori, seaweed, broccoli, or whatever anywhere around the tank.
Old 02/08/2002, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

When catching a fish out of a tank use a rose vase. One of the big one's, for dozen roses, that has a large opening curves down for the neck, and then open back up. Put in a piece of food and set the vase on the side at the bottom of the tank. The curve in the neck will stop the food from floating out. Once the fish is in put your hand over the opening and pull it out. Most fish swim away from your hand so even if you are not fast enough to cover it they will probably stay in.

mini m&m's containers are the perfect size for bringing in a h2o sample to the lfs for testing.

Dog toothbrushes are a reefers best friend. The kind with a large and small end are the best, 2 in 1.

In the craft section of wal-mart they carry a black plastic grid stuff, the only way to describe it. This stuff has had a whole lot of uses for me. Especially covering the top of the standpipe to prevent snails from wandering too far.

Even though they are expensive anti-siphon valves are worth it.
Old 02/08/2002, 12:02 PM
Shaolin Reefer

Get some cleaner shrimp, and stick your hands in the tank. Free manicure!
Old 02/09/2002, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Heres my list.

Specimen cups like fish stores use when bagging fish are REALLY useful. The rectangular ones with a lip to hang on the tank. When aclimating fish I hang it inside the 5 gallon bucket between dips, the water droplets that fall off it land in the bucket not on the floor. Mix reef builder in them. Get enough water for all your tests so you dont have to use nasty test kit chemicals near your tank. When not in use keep it hanging off the back of your tank to hold toothbrush, scrub pad, fish food can etc.

At any hardware store you can get cup hooks. screw one or two behind your tank stand and hang a towel from it. Then its always handy to wipe your arm after being in the tank or to pick up the inevitable little spills and water trails on the glass.

Do your floor a favor. Buy a runner carpet for in front of your tank to catch those little drips from tongs, feeding sticks, arms etc. Home depot sells them by the foot for hallways and stairs. If you look around you can find ones that are premade the right size for your tank, they look better because the pattern isnt cut at the ends.

I feed my brittle stars and shrimp with sinking pellets using 3/8th inch diameter ridgid tubing. when not in use it sits in a cup thats on the floor behind the tank. This catches the dripping water as the tubing dries. This tube is also great for turning over snails and stirring up the top layer of your live sand to feed softies.

Use your algae magnet every day weither the tank needs it or not. It cuts down on coraline growth thats harder to scrub off once it gets a foot hold.

Good luck!
Tom
Old 02/09/2002, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

If you feed your tank frozen Mysis shrimp you really don't have to worry about hand feeding your larger inverts . In my tank everybody gets some,pagoda cup and hydinopora eat ALOT ! And my star is THE PREDITTER!
Old 02/10/2002, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

The life of wooden air diffusers can be extended by heating them up in the microwave for 3-5 minutes. So when its time to change the diffuser pop it in the microwave and you'll be able to use it again.
Try it!!
Old 02/10/2002, 11:04 AM
ThE UndDer 10 iQ ClUb

For all you hang on overflow users, wrap the j or u tube in black electrical tape, leaving the curve exposed to see any air bubbles forming. This greatly reduces the growth of algae, which impedes the flow.

Buy a cheap package of single balde disposable razors. With a pair of needlenose pliers, carefully break of the plastic piece around the blade, therefore exposing the blade(But the blade is still held in the razor). Break off the long plastic part of a plastic clothes hanger and stick the razor on the end. It fits perfectly, no tape or glue needed. Now you have a great corraline scraper. The bend of the razor makes a perfect angle to scrape corraline off GLASS. Put plastic protector back on blade when done, and dont forget to dry after every use. My pack of razors lasted over four years. Just be careful when working around the blade, obviously.
Old 02/10/2002, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

For vacuuming the bottom of the tank I stick my tubing into a length of PVC. With that I can direct the vacuum precisely and by pushing the end of the tube out the bottom of the PVC you can get around corners because the tube. It keeps my hands dry and seems to scare the fish a lot less.
Craig
Old 02/10/2002, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

For vacuuming the bottom of the tank I stick my tubing into a length of PVC. With that I can direct the vacuum precisely and by pushing the end of the tube out the bottom of the PVC you can get around corners because the tube tends to coil. It keeps my hands dry and seems to scare the fish a lot less.
Craig
Old 02/10/2002, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

^
Old 02/10/2002, 09:23 PM
Bald reefer club

I use Baby food jars to soak food and prepare food for the tanks babysitter.

Jeff
Old 02/10/2002, 09:44 PM
Obsessed Reefer

I dont have any cool tips. unless you want to bend some wood...
I just wanted to post, so I could get e-mailed whenever a new tip or trick comes up!
I've already used a few of them! Great ideas guys! And nice post newreeflady!
Old 02/10/2002, 09:48 PM
Obsessed Reefer

Oh wait a second....

Take the pump off of your calcium reactor, you don't need it!
(the one that feeds the water into the reactor, not the recirculating pump)