Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2005, 10:24 AM
calepa ta kala

You might find this thread an interesting read thumbs up thread about ozone. I bought a cheap controller and an even cheaper Enaly ozone generator. If I had it to do over again I might just put the ozone on a timer as my orp probe needs cleaning more often than not.

As far as water clarity and my tank it was almost instant gratification. I know good things don't happen fast but I've had my unit going for a couple of months without any noticeable side effects. Most of my non reef geek friends asked if I got new lights. The redsea units are very nice but IMO like many things in this hobby you can achieve identical results for less money.

my .02
Old 06/12/2005, 10:27 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

holy cows those are beautiful!!! hope you can get us more shots

also hope the tank starts getting more on track

melev i too don't know much about ozone...i've read a few threads and really want to start using it but i don't have the $$ to get set up the way i want right now. in the future i think i am gonna mess w/ ozone. you thinking about it alos??

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/12/2005, 01:05 PM
TRC Leader

Not so much, Lunchbucket. It is one of those "gizmos" that the pros often shun. Before a bunch of ozone-huggers pounce on me, let me clarify my statement:

In this hobby, there are many devices available that may help a hobbyist excel in their husbandry skills. The more toys we get, the more bragging rights we hold too. At the same time, these tend to be expensive and when one of them breaks, the delicate balance attained can quickly go out of whack. There are plenty of simple systems with very little equipment that still look amazing, and typically those are the old-school guys that rely on water changes and lean toward the "Berlin" system.

Look at Weatherson's system. He's got so many cool things, either purchased or via his excellent DIY abilities. His tank is gorgeous, and many of us wish we could have one just like it. At the same time, there is another reefer (reefgal, I think) that has a beautiful system but she chose not to buy all the equipment (kalk stirrer, Calcium Reactor, etc...) and relies on water changes which actually are relatively cheap by comparison. Her system has been praised as well (not necessarily equally but I'm just trying to make a point here).

In a nutshell, each person should buy or use what they like. I'm not here to tell anyone how they should care for their own tank, but I am always willing to help fix a problem if I can, at their request.

I've never really had any issues with my water clarity, and my glass is Starfire. How much better could it possibly get?
Old 06/12/2005, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

you did not say why carbon is not needed in general after saying yes, it will harm gills, etc

- its because 03 breaks down very fast like three seonds or sometrhing - so by the time it makes it way back to the tank - it is gone basically - if the outflow is directly pouring over life you love - well, then maybe it does carbon or redirection -

Quote:
Originally posted by littlesilvermax
Ozone is the sweet smell you sometimes get after an electrical storm. If you are using too much ozone you will be able to smell it in your fish room, not really a good thing.

The units that hobbiests buy (ie. Red Sea) are very small units. They will not hurt you unless you suck on the tubing, or do something else very stupid. They use electricity to produce a small amount of ozone.

Most people dose ozone by injecting it into their skimmer. For your needlewheel skimmer I am sure others can chime in as to how they inject into theirs. In a skimmer (especially a large one) their is more then enough water/air interface to allow the ozone to oxidize (react with) any organics in the water. This reaction breaks down the organics and allows them to be removed much easier.

The results, crystal clear water that is cleaner and much better for corals to flourish in.

Many people say you need carbon (YOU DO NOT) and many say you need an ORP meter (YOU DO NOT).

Carbon will use up any residual ozone left in the water, true. Ozone left in your water will hurt your fish, true. Bob Fenner essentially gaurantees that you do not need carbon with small hobbiest units that are correctly sized. For your tank (like my 250) a 200 mg/hr unit that is run at 25-50% would work perfect. It helps the unit last longer by not running it at 100%. There are many people here at RC that use carbon, but there many that do not. I have run my unit at 100%, smelled ozone in my fish room, and done this for days with no bad effects on my system what-so-ever. Many wholesalers use ozone w/o carbon. It saves money on carbon and maintenance chores. I still think carbon is good to have on hand though in case of an emergency, or as a precautionary measure. I use it once every couple of months if something wierd happens.

An ORP monitor does not monitor residual ozone, it monitors redo value. I am not even going to get into that, but the two are related. If you want to run ozone at high levels then an ORP monitor can be good. It has nice to know info, can be helpful in identifying a problem, can help to see overal trends in a system. An ORP controller will turn off the ozone when the ORP level gets to a preset point.

While a monitor or controller is nice to have a recommend that it is not needed. Many reefers that are on a limited budget would benefit greatly by ozone but don't do it becasue of all the costs. A controller is worth more then an ozone unit. (usually)

Of course companies that sell stuff like us to think we need these things.

If you where to buy a small unit, use it sparingly, and acclimate your corals slowly. I gaurantee you will thank me in the near future and never turn back.
Old 06/12/2005, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

how did i double post - sorry
Old 06/12/2005, 01:46 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

great post melev. i hear you on that...there are many ways to get to the same answer ...that is essentially what you are implying

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/13/2005, 12:21 AM
TRC Leader

Here is my latest coral. I fell in love with it, and decided I must have it. It is currently bathing in my phosphate soup -- I mean my reef. I've affectionately named it Nipples.

Diploastrea heliopora (moon coral) - page 287 in Aquarium Corals by Borneman.
Old 06/13/2005, 12:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I've affectionately named it Nipples.
Where ever did you get that name from?
Old 06/13/2005, 12:32 AM
TRC Leader

This picture was taken before it was bagged up to go home with me. It has been appropriately named Lotsa_nipples.jpg

Old 06/13/2005, 12:34 AM
Premium Member

Is that a picture of it in your tank, or is that a from the sellers tank?
Old 06/13/2005, 12:36 AM
TRC Leader

Read my comment above the image.
Old 06/13/2005, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Read my comment above the image.
That is cheating to edit your post.
Old 06/13/2005, 12:41 AM
TRC Leader

No, that is a nice way of keeping the thread tidy, versus adding extra thoughts back to back. Plus, do you really think I need to bump my post count?
Old 06/13/2005, 12:41 AM
TRC Leader

That would be wrong.
Old 06/13/2005, 12:42 AM
TRC Leader

I would never do such a thing.
Premium Member

Yes
TRC Leader

Old 06/13/2005, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

That is wrong

(stupid 30 seconds)
Old 06/13/2005, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

Nice coral Marc, can't wait to see it settled in your tank. It must have been really hard picking just one to come home with you.

colleen
Old 06/13/2005, 01:06 AM
TRC Leader

Nice nipples you have there Marc.
Old 06/13/2005, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

LOL Amy,

I was thinkin the same thing....

But thought twice about posting it.

Glenn
Old 06/13/2005, 01:20 AM
Master of Disaster

Man, I leave to go out of town for a couple of days and, I find out this thread has been split again, then have to go back and read 5 pages!!!
Awesome reading Marc, hope the po4 issue gets under control. Keep us posted.

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher if You're Stupid --John Wayne

Freedom is Flying
Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!
Old 06/13/2005, 01:34 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

Hey, I'm only 4 hours north of Houston, as Cheri recently made the drive. If you want to come up to hang out a bit, you are welcome to do so. We could grab dinner, perhaps. I'd love to talk more with you about your new setup. If you can't come, that's okay too. More beer for me.

well if things go really, really well, I will try to go for it. I have your number if it looks good I will give ya a call.
Old 06/13/2005, 02:16 AM
TRC Leader

Sounds good to me, Frank.

Amy, you know you are the muse behind that coral's name.

Here are some late night shots, when they are all exposed.

Old 06/13/2005, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

I can hear them from here Marc........

"feed us.. feed us..feed us..feed us...feed us..."
dON'T see how you are going to get any sleep tonight with all that noise.

colleen