Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/06/2005, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

barrettrhoades: I'm not sure what would be causing the noisy pump. Could be the pump is worn or defective or it could be some type of cavitation happening if air was getting into the lines. I'm not sure and you would be best served by posting your question in a new thread for everyone to see and respond to.

littlesilvermax: As already mentioned, humidity levels are geographically related and as such, not a real huge concern or issue here in California. But if it were, your suggestion would be a worthwhile way to go.

CPT. MURPHY: Umm... What is?

cseeton: True, but I'll bet that you don't have 110-degree summers either.

DerekW: And I complain when I have to cut through an inch of stucco.

Steve: Thanks you very much for the kind words. Unfortunately, electricity here in California isn't what you would call a "bargain". It's just one of the necessities required to keep a reef tank that makes you question it's worth every month. But I always come to the same conclusion... it's worth it.

Joseph
Old 04/06/2005, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Joseph

I am relatively new to the hobby. About 2 years into 120G reef and planning my next 250G reef. I am impressed with your innovations and skill. My question relates to pumps. In my case I have a very large livving room but no adjacent space for equipment. I am looking for very quite pumps for both circulation and equipment (e.g. skimmer). Is there a reason that you selected Iwaki in most cases and not Sequence or AmpMaster which seem to be more quite and efficient. Will the dual becket skimmer work well with a sequence (or Dolphin AM) pump?

Thanks
Joseph
Old 04/07/2005, 01:28 AM
TRC Leader

Yossia,

[welcome]
Old 04/07/2005, 03:06 AM
Premium Member

Yossia: Thank you for the kind words. As far as pumps go, I have used an Amp Master 3000 for the circulation and in fact, it was extremely quiet. Problem was that it consistently leaked at the impeller shaft seal (supposedly fixed since then) but more importantly, the motor lost much of it's power and the flow rate suffered greatly while at the same time, using more electricity. Others her on RC have experienced this as well. I attributed this decline in performance to poor quality of build. I have since switched to a Sequence (4300) pump and have been extremely happy with it's performance. No leaks, plenty of flow, very quiet and this has stayed consistent for a long period of time.

As far as utilizing an AM or sequence pump instead of the Iwaki for pressure rated duty, I don't feel there is a model that will compare to say the Iwaki 100 for sheer pressure. Look closely at the rated flow and specifically, the head pressure. The Iwaki will provide a much greater head pressure which is required for a dual Beckett skimmer to work most efficiently. The Beckett injectors restrict flow and create much back pressure so this type of pump is required to move enough water through them and at high velocity. In doing so, the injectors create more and finer bubbles which is ideal. If there is a comparable Sequence pump, I would still resort back to the Iwaki's for there quality of build and extreme longevity of service. They are a little more expensive but this is a true case of "You get what you pay for.".

Joseph
Old 04/07/2005, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

Marc - Thanks
Nice animation!
Old 04/07/2005, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Joseph
Old 04/09/2005, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

I was lucky to have a fellow local reefer who decided to sell his Canon Digital Rebel camera and lenses. This included the 100 mm macro lens that I'd used before. I'm still learning this amazing camera but managed to get a few decent shots today despite my lack of familiarity. Here they are...

Joseph
Old 04/09/2005, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

I never cease to be amazed.
Old 04/09/2005, 11:22 PM
TRC Leader

Absolutely stunning. Your water quality must be spot on! Thank you for the eye candy.
Old 04/09/2005, 11:33 PM
Standpipe Guy

I have a 100mm macro on order... can't wait for it to arrive. Nice shots!

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 04/09/2005, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Is a full tank pic availible?
Old 04/10/2005, 12:13 AM
10 & over club

WOW

Such clarity
Old 04/10/2005, 07:32 AM
Flounder - er

He He - told ya to get one! lol! I've got some manulas and videos I bought to learn the ting myself - if you interested, PM me.

Now we look for even BETTER shot coming from you (which is amazing as it is!)

Go on, Click the little Red House!
Old 04/10/2005, 12:53 PM
Flounder - er

manulas = manuals

Go on, Click the little Red House!
Old 04/10/2005, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

qwuintus: Thanks but the beauty I'll have to give to nature. Capturing it... Canon.

Marc: I get comments of how bright my tank appears of which I would attribute to filtration. That includes UV, some ozone, a specific carbon filter chamber and frequently changed filter socks. I switched out the other closed loop pump to match the other with a Iwaki 55. Now, with Penductors on each, I definitely have to turn them off for photo shoots. I'd say the flow in the tank is now double, at least, of what it was prior. Thanks for the kind words.

Rich: Thanks and you will not be disappointed. It's an amazing lens.

Will: I'll try and get one this week. It, the tank, has changed a bit with the removal of the top-right volley-ball sized Frogspawn. I've added some rock there and attached some more SPS.

Reef Addict II: I agree completely.

thewuf: It was your peer pressure that drove me over the edge. PM coming shortly.

Joseph
Old 04/10/2005, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by weatherson
I'm still learning this amazing camera but managed to get a few decent shots today despite my lack of familiarity.

Joseph
I'm sorry, I thought you said you managed to get a few decent shots.
Those shots are incredible.
It is always a pleasure to see the updates and view the commentary on this thread.
Just want to thank you for taking the time to share your journey with the rest of us.
"So is this great and wide sea, wherein are things creeping innumerable, both small and great beasts." - Psalm 104:25 KJV
Old 04/11/2005, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Joseph, what did you do with that frogspwan? Did you hack it up for the frag swap? Did you count the heads on it?
Old 04/12/2005, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

cscr212: Thank you for the kind words and you are very welcome.

wonrib00: Keeping in mind I pulled only the top portion of it from my tank, I just counted roughly 140 heads... on the surface. This doesn't include the babies on the stalks. So... if I "frag" it with five heads per, I'd have roughly 30 good sized frags. I'll be taking some frags to the swap and the rest is for local club members. It's currently still in two large pieces in my refugium waiting to be split up by this coming weekend.

Joseph
Old 04/16/2005, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Joseph,

Few questions, hopefully I am not asking what was explained before:

1. What is the reason you used pendant in the lighting fixture and not just reflectors which are easier to cool and less expensive?

2. Have you considered to plumb the return from the sump to the bottom of the tank instead of to the top to improve flow at the bottom of the tank?

Thanks
Old 04/17/2005, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Yossia: The DE pendants are considered to provide a more concentrated amount of the bulb's output than SE bulbs with reflectors. They are no more difficult to cool than SE and especially so when placed inside an enclosure such as my light box with pass-through air flow.

I would not recommend and never would utilize a tank whose bottom was drilled anywhere outside of an internal prefilter box. To rely on a bulkhead at the bottom of my tank is nothing I desire to do. As far as flow, there's plenty in my tank and placing returns at the bottom wouldn't increase the amount at this area. In addition, my closed loops pull from behind and below the two rock work structures for added flow there and through the rocks.

Joseph
Old 04/19/2005, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

I've been a little busy lately and have yet to get a new full tank shot. Until then, here's a couple of shots I took with the new camera.

Joseph

Old 04/19/2005, 08:59 PM
Pink People Eater!!!

weatherson I literally got chills when i saw your insanely amazing zoas and those beautiful sps shots. I am in complete awe....

woa

wow

omg

too... amazing

To reef, Or not to reef,

Whats the question?

Little C-4 Knockin at your door.
Yesh Commmanddaaa
(Red Alert 2, LionXFish)
Old 04/19/2005, 11:14 PM
TRC Leader

Old 04/20/2005, 07:01 AM
Journeyman

Looking wonderful...some amazing corals..i agree your water quality must be amazing...something to aspire to.

Dan
Old 04/20/2005, 07:21 AM
Force of Nature

Impressive Pics!!