Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2004, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

This is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time.
Frick - I love the gross milk jug on the floor and the timmers and wires all over the place. The rubermaid containers from Target under the middle stand are a nice touch (kinda like what I did). But we all have to give you credit for having your three main tanks all level.
Old 05/20/2004, 11:29 AM
Koi Pimp

The one with the walmart warbdrobe covering the lights is pretty scary.. I'd be afraid of that stuff catching on fire.. Kinda scary=) I have th esame wardrobe with some jackets and Misc equipment stores in it=)
Old 05/20/2004, 11:35 AM
Over budget Reefer

ghetto aint the word for it Frick...

more like a refugee village tanks

like you said though< the tanks are for you
Old 05/20/2004, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Frick, you've got balls for posting that one.=D You're right, it's all about having fun with your tanks.
Old 05/20/2004, 11:58 AM
Club Euroreef

Bamm Bamm

I cut the back and top compleatly open so the heat would disipate and when you looked at the tank the halids wern't burning your retinas. Don't worry it wasn't on there long. I never did come up with a good canopy i liked that would alow me to work on the tank without shutting down the lights and removing it so i used a stand with some modifications. It's now on my 90 so it looks a little better.

Old 75

New 90

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
Old 05/20/2004, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Frick has the mad scientist setup going on. That is awesome. I can imagine you down there at 3:30 in the morning standing in a puddle of water twisting bare wires together while smoking a cigarette and listening to pipe organ music. A frightening vision......
Old 05/20/2004, 01:00 PM
ren and stimpy

ROFL! i love the stand for the canopy, that is awesome, haha.

Frick your setup is hilarious, in the ghetto way of course, what are those tanks used for anyhow? are those grow out tanks?

its funny to see these pictures because even though we call them ghetto, it really shows how creative we all are at finding different solutions to solve certain problems with our tanks.

the only thing ghetto on my tank is the wiring under the cabinet, all my plugs are all tangled together, other than that I am pretty neat
Old 05/20/2004, 01:08 PM
Koi Pimp

LOl stand for canopy=)
Old 05/20/2004, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

I couldn't help myself...

Here's a few pics of the temporary canopy I built for my 40L till the 120 project I'm working on is done.
Old 05/20/2004, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Exclamation

The post bambam made about the fire risk is really scary to me,I take it to heart now In my go mode I think about it but I don't take the time to make sure my electical things are well protected.I put a big sponge on the divider in the tanks middle and it wicked water up and outgoing down the wall onto the outlet in the wall.I was in the next bedroom farting around and smelled the insulation.I stuck my head in the fishroom and MY God,flames were going up the wall.I smothered them and here is the dumb part,I just rewired the damn plug and put it back in the wall.Seeing the thread on fire insurance,then being reminded of the hazard today,I am going to do something about it now.I took this pick just for this thread.Pretty scarey.Notice the smut going up around the outlet I am walking out to my shop now to get the GFI and something to Isolate the electric
Old 05/20/2004, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdmike
I couldn't help myself...

Here's a few pics of the temporary canopy I built for my 40L till the 120 project I'm working on is done.
I got the pics uploaded to my gallery, so I'll try and figure out how to get them here:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...ium&thecat=500

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...ium&thecat=500
Old 05/20/2004, 03:55 PM
Where is green crab?

This isn't too ghetto, but check out what my sump/fuge sits on. Perfect size so I can have the HOB skimmer!!
Old 05/20/2004, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Here's one I found on another thread:

...gotta give the guy/gal some credit, it seems to be generating some good skimmate, more power to ya.
Old 05/20/2004, 04:30 PM
Koi Pimp

is it sitting on sand? I can't tell
Old 05/20/2004, 04:36 PM
Where is green crab?

It is the book that got bubba cooked... good old yellow pages.
Old 05/20/2004, 04:42 PM
ren and stimpy

that 5 gallon jug skimmer is G-H-E-T-T-O!
Old 05/20/2004, 04:54 PM
Owner

Here's an old photo of my "fuge' which is a converted wet/dry. I drilled holes in it an glued in a partition and put some big ty-wraps across the top to strengthen it. I'm still using it today (minus the bio balls). Does this qualify?
Old 05/20/2004, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kozmo02
that 5 gallon jug skimmer is G-H-E-T-T-O!
I love it. Makes me feel pretty stupid for buying a $250 skimmer. I love the skimate dripping into a mason jar. Very nice touch.
Old 05/20/2004, 05:42 PM
Koi Pimp

That thing is FUNNY... I love it.. Never thought of that before. i wonder how it performs compared to my old Euroreef=)
Old 05/20/2004, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

OK, here's my entry:
First my plumbing setup (note the T% ballast hanging from the shoestring)

My "virtual canopy", it's a bunch of expertly joined 1x2's with more shoestrings and pvc hanging several hundred dollars worth of T5 lamps...

and finally, the fuge (Note the remains of the streetlamp housing poking out from under the tub, the ballast is running the hps bulb in the spider reflector, I used to have the whole streetlamp hanging over the fuge with a curled piece of aluminum roof sheathing for a reflector).

I refuse to post pictues of my wiring just in case anyone from my insurance company or local code enforcement is monitoring this forum.
Do I get extra beers cuz all this stuff is in my living room? I mean Frick's definitely got better stuff (gotta love them aluminum foil reflectors!), but at least he's hiding it in the basement.
The jug skimmer is awesome. Bet it works better than my old Red Sea Berlin did . They should market a retrofit kit - provide your own 5G jug! Watch out Euroreef!
dave2184, I keep thinking your picture is upside down .
I'm going home now to work on my new canopy.
Old 05/20/2004, 06:23 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

Key words: hiding it in the basement. You're right, it's one big science experiment not meant to look pretty (the corals are pretty)

That stand setup lets me mount all lighting off the high backs of the stands or suspended from the frame and nothing is permanent and can be completely changed out or removed in minutes. All ballasts and powerstrips are wall mounted, or above the tanks and wires have drip loops, and since the endcap fire, all VHO's have soldered pins.

I am in awe that wonrib noticed that the tops of all my tanks are roughly the same height. That is the most comfortable level for me to reach into them. It's all about me, me, me!

hey PRC, what kind of skimmer do you think fills that gross milk jug out in the floor? Yup a berlin (except mine works awesome)
However, I am kind of coveting that 5gal jug skimmer. That thing is priceless. If I had one of those I probably could get a 7 out of 5 rating.

I'm glad my critters don't have any pride. Corals commiting hari-kari probably isn't a pretty sight.

And now I'll probably have to retire from RC.........................
Old 05/20/2004, 06:39 PM
Koi Pimp

I want to post a pic or two of my 6gallon Eclipse Reed I had setup.. Can someone post them if I email them? I have a few on my work computer I just realized.
Old 05/20/2004, 08:42 PM
ZAO

I want somemore details on that fine 5g skimmer
Who ever made that has to be the biggest penny pincher, or smartest person alive.

Even if it saved me $300 I still couldn't bring myself to useing it on my display tank,LOL.
Growout tanks, YES.
Old 05/20/2004, 09:16 PM

oh man!! you guys are soo ghetto!!! Too funny!!!
Old 05/20/2004, 10:02 PM
I got banned :)

O man my cheeks hurt, this is just to funny. What a great thread, this should go down in the books.