Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 05/16/2007, 03:40 PM
TRC Leader

Actinics...

I take most pictures with the pumps on, so it won't always be as sharp and clean as they could be. Still, I thought they were nice enough to share.

Old 05/16/2007, 03:42 PM
TRC Leader

You can see how some branches have RTN'd to the left.

That's it for now.
Old 05/16/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Marc. Hope your son gets well soon!

The red house. Click it!!
Old 05/16/2007, 03:46 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Damn, those are bright darn darndest blue I have ever seen.

It so blue that the (I guess it's a damsel), is a solid blue.
Old 05/16/2007, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Over the weekend, my son began to complain about intense pain in his stomach. He demanded that he be taken to the hospital, and it ended up that he had appendicitis. Oops.

Saturday night he was prepped for emergency surgery, and during the wee hours they extracted the evil item. And here he is on Monday with his girlfriend, almost done with his recovery at the hospital.

So most of the last few days were at the hospital. He'll recover fully, but it'll take about 6 weeks until he's 100% again.
Sorry to here about your son I should have read the post before inserting the joke, hope all goes well with his recovery.
Old 05/16/2007, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

my favorite - and could not help myself - hope you don't mind
Old 05/16/2007, 09:00 PM
Carpe Noctem

Things are looking better there marc! Just need a little more time now
Old 05/16/2007, 09:40 PM
grouchy hermit

Marc - looks like your aips are still hanging in there despite your massive kalk pasting of them ... (shudder). Love those mean greens though!!

Spleen
Old 05/17/2007, 02:07 AM
TRC Leader

Yeah, I need to nuke them (the aiptasia) again but today I spent most of my time caring for my son. For the past 24 hours, I've waited on him hand and foot to make sure he stayed in bed and didn't try to do anything.

He just left with his girlfriend and I hope that she'll be just as emphatic that he lie, rest and heal and not sit at his computer or do anything exerting.
Old 05/17/2007, 02:30 AM
Girls Rule!

I'm really sorry to hear about your son I hope he gets better soon!

Your tank is beautiful. I love your zoas and your bubble
Old 05/17/2007, 05:22 AM
R I P we miss you...

Hopefully your son will stay down and do what he is supposed to.

What do you use for your aptasia. I have found nothing that works and they are getting BIG!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 05/17/2007, 06:23 AM
SpEd Man

Is it just me or is the hammer stinging the coral next to it in this pic (lower left)? The tank looks good to me!
Old 05/17/2007, 01:01 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, you are correct. That hammer needs to be fragged again.

For aiptasia, I just use kalkwasser paste in a syringe. Turning off all the pumps, I inject or feed the paste to each aiptasia I can find. Then I go around the tank again and inject the closed up ones through the side of their bodies to make sure they got a belly full. An hour later I turn the pumps back on and watch to make sure no kalk-paste lands on any corals.
Old 05/17/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Prayers are with your family for your son's speedy recovery.

I just found my first aiptasia today (actually the wife asked me to look at this new polpy) in the 75g tank. I took one look at it and ran to get the kalk paste ready and inject the sucker... it's very weird though.. I have had the tank setup for over two and half years and this is the first I've seen on any of the LR (did have pepermint shrimp in there for the first year). I did have a few two months ago on some rubble that a frag was on but I nuked it with kalk paste and kept watch over it over a period of a few weeks... that rubble piece is at the other end of the tank that the aiptasia was found... is it possible to have come from that?
Old 05/17/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Tank is looking great, congrats on another thread split and hope your son is doing well. The Actinic's are like WOW blue.
Old 05/17/2007, 06:07 PM
TRC Leader

They can sneak in on almost anything, or come out of some hidden crevice over time. They also can let go and land elsewhere in mere hours.

In anticipation of my flight to New York tomorrow, I thought I'd work on the tank and get everything ready to go. So that meant siphoning out the detritus in the sump, cleaning the skimmer, changing carbon and PhosAr HC, plus filling up the top-off containers.

The skimmer had coralline growing inside of it again, so that was the perfect opportunity to quickly soak it with muriatic acid & water, and get that stuff off. 10 minutes later, it was nice and clean. As I was pouring out the water I didn't realize I was putting pressure on the PVC fitting going into the body of the skimmer, which caused a crack and broke that section off. I called Euro-Reef while it was drying off and they told me I could fix it with Weld-On #16. Whew!! The skimmer is repaired and back in business.

While I was working in the sump, I swapped out two of the three refugium bulbs as they were quite old and I had two new one one hand. These lights were plugged into a timer as I'm currently running them only at night to lower the possibility of cyano growth. While talking with another reefer recently, he mentioned that once he installed new bulbs the problem took care of itself, so I may end up going back to 24/7 lighting in the near future.
Old 05/17/2007, 08:24 PM
R I P we miss you...

Quote:
For aiptasia, I just use kalkwasser paste in a syringe. Turning off all the pumps, I inject or feed the paste to each aiptasia I can find. Then I go around the tank again and inject the closed up ones through the side of their bodies to make sure they got a belly full. An hour later I turn the pumps back on and watch to make sure no kalk-paste lands on any corals.
I've done that SEVERAL times! My aptasia goes away for a few days then is right back bigger than the first time! I don't know what to do...

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 05/17/2007, 08:30 PM
TRC Leader

If you'll do it repeatedly until you can't find them anymore, you'll win. The thing is that many of us do it once, and do it with vindiction, only to back off and consider the task is done. Unfortunately, this is one of those projects that is ongoing and you have to keep at it until they are 100% gone.
Old 05/17/2007, 08:38 PM
Carpe Noctem

Quote:
As I was pouring out the water I didn't realize I was putting pressure on the PVC fitting going into the body of the skimmer, which caused a crack and broke that section off. I called Euro-Reef while it was drying off and they told me I could fix it with Weld-On #16. Whew!! The skimmer is repaired and back in business.
The ER I'm running now had the same thing happen to the previous owner. He fixed it with #16 also. I figure between his and my tank, it's been running fixed and trouble free for a tad over four years. So aside from resale value, I don't think it hampers the skimmer at all.

Not sure why your going to NY, but I hope it's for a little Rn'R. Have fun and watch for bald guys handing out flyers and flowers
Old 05/17/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Have fun in NY and good luck with your presentation. Buffalo area right? Real fun is in NYC - back on my old stomping grounds...

I'm assuming you have someone looking after the tank? Whew, you did a lot of changes right before a trip! Lucked out with the weldon. Again good luck and have fun!
Old 05/17/2007, 11:18 PM
TRC Leader

I know, I know. I hate making big changes before I leave, but I didn't want the system limping along on polluted water. It was time to do all those things anyway.

I'm heading to Rochester NY to visit that club and do a double-presentation on Saturday afternoon. They'll have a frag swap that day as well. The rest of the time I'll get to visit some homes and see some of the tanks that get posted here on RC. My topics are "All about Sumps" and "Working with Acrylic". I'm sure they'll get a brain overload.

I've got two people to check on the tank while I'm gone, so hopefully all will be well.
Old 05/17/2007, 11:25 PM
Dance 4 Life

My old home, Rochester NY,my son still lives there hope you have a great trip and enjoy your time upstate

Best of wishes for your son too.
Old 05/17/2007, 11:53 PM
TRC Leader

Thank you all for the well-wishes. My son is currently passed out, which is good. The more he sleeps, the more time his body can heal imho.
Old 05/17/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Over the weekend, my son began to complain about intense pain in his stomach. He demanded that he be taken to the hospital, and it ended up that he had appendicitis. Oops.
My story is similar but a little more gross:

I started to feel the pain about 6 years ago. Your stomach hurts and when you stomp your right foot (or when you're laying and you're right foot is pushed against your body) the right side of your abdomen hurts. Except that I don't ever get sick, so I 'rode' it out for 4 days... Insane pain, about 2 hours of 'sleep' for those 4 nights. I never went to the doctor because people kept telling me it was JUST A STOMACH VIRUS and to toughen up. 5th day I felt much better but still hurt bad. 6th day it started to bother me again and I succumbed to going to the emergency room.

After X-rays, and about 45 minutes of braveheart in the hospital room, the doc tells me that my appendix erupted approximately 2 days before and that's why I felt 'better'. The pressure was released then. Well, he proceeded to inform me that the infection had spread throughout my stomach and organs and I was at risk of dying of gangrene if I didn't undergo operation immediately. I agreed that it would be best for my interest to go with his idea.

One week at the hospital, 2 days no liquids, 4 days no food, 2 weeks with the wound kept open for gangrene prevention (wounds heal fast, so it to be 'torn' open 3 times a day and cleaned ), 3 weeks barely out of bed, about 8 weeks until I was fully functional again. Yeah, don't mess with that stuff!

Quick recovery wishes go out from Atlanta to your son!
Old 05/17/2007, 11:55 PM
Girls Rule!

omg.