Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

120g Scratched tank for sale

I just purchased this from a fellow reefer, who did not disclose the actual condition of the tank when he listed it. I paid $150 for it, and would like to try and get that back for it.
I will be upfront and honest about the tank, it has ALOT of scratches on it. I do not want to misrepresent the condition of the tank. That is what was done to me. This is the tank stand and canopy.
I should have checked it over better before I bought it, he was half way washing it out,and I believe he also made sure the front was facing the grass so I wouldn't catch all of the scratches, but that is just what I think.
So, looking to get $150 OBO, I will also consider trades. Just let me know what you have.
I can send pics upon request, of both the tank and the scratches.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Old 12/26/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

I can not believe that seller was not honest with you because you guys live so close together and he will have to see you again!
Old 12/27/2007, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

I assuming he wouldnt give you your money back, I say that he needs to be band from the site for that
Old 12/27/2007, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Towsley
I assuming he wouldnt give you your money back, I say that he needs to be band from the site for that
I don't know if that is what should happen, but everyone needs to use extreme caution when planning on buying from markandkristen. Mark is not an honest seller, nor is he a man of his word.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:51 AM
On The M0VE

Shane, Im sure if you speak to Mark he will be willing to give you your money back and make this right...
Old 12/27/2007, 09:13 AM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Lino
Shane, Im sure if you speak to Mark he will be willing to give you your money back and make this right...
yep just worked it out this morning hes going to bring the tank back this weekend.. if anybody else is interested in the tank and wants to look at it this weekend would be great...
Old 12/27/2007, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

I have bought several things from them and and had them shipped sight unseen and had no problems. This may be a misunderstanding. He did say it had scratches. Minor scratches to him and to you could be totally different. I recommend that you get back in touch with him and try to work it out.
Old 12/27/2007, 10:03 AM
On The M0VE

Glad u guys worked it out...
Old 12/28/2007, 11:06 AM
Free Thinker

This is BS. It's not like he took deceptive photos and shipped it to you. You went and looked at it, bought it, took it home and changed your mind. Bad buyer imo.

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian
Old 12/28/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

suprising, i have bought from him and was a good seller in my opinion.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:05 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoney Mahony
This is BS. It's not like he took deceptive photos and shipped it to you. You went and looked at it, bought it, took it home and changed your mind. Bad buyer imo.
i agree as well.
i offered 25 dollars towards a scratch repair kit.

another word i used was major scratches.. this is a loose term..

too me its like saying a car is in "good" condition.. whats good to one might not be good to others..

either way.. i have someone else interested if he wants to bring it back..

i had no intentions of misrepresenting the tank..

i have seen scratched tanks used at nolans go for 300 and i mean scratched...looks like someone got a key and just had a hayday..

i thought i was giving a good deal at the 150 price
then 25 towards a scratch repair kit. would be 125... after all is said and done.

but again.. not looking to burn bridges

$150 is a drop in the bucket to what we spend on our tank.. LOL
Old 12/28/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markandkristen
i agree as well.
i offered 25 dollars towards a scratch repair kit.

another word i used was major scratches.. this is a loose term..

too me its like saying a car is in "good" condition.. whats good to one might not be good to others..

either way.. i have someone else interested if he wants to bring it back..

i had no intentions of misrepresenting the tank..

i have seen scratched tanks used at nolans go for 300 and i mean scratched...looks like someone got a key and just had a hayday..

i thought i was giving a good deal at the 150 price
then 25 towards a scratch repair kit. would be 125... after all is said and done.

but again.. not looking to burn bridges

$150 is a drop in the bucket to what we spend on our tank.. LOL
I agree as well. Total BS in my opinion.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

including stand and canopy its a steal. I paid $160 for my 125 tank only no stand no canopy and it had a chip in the side and a couple of scratches. nothing that will cause any leaks but it is strached up. That is a nice stand too . I have seen that tank in person. I think $150 is a steal!! wish I needed one.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/30/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Is there really a scratch repair kit that works?
Old 12/30/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JDL1000
Is there really a scratch repair kit that works?
on acrylic yeah. with glass, you'll just have to adjust your vision.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m3nac3
suprising, i have bought from him and was a good seller in my opinion.
I have delt with Mark 2, Mark is a straight up guy. He basically gave me 10 clowns when i met him.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

At that price and when the buyer goes to look at it and pick it up. I don't think the seller should be bashed. It is a used item after all. It was quite nice that the seller worked with the buyer after the implications of misreprentation in this post. Posts like this are the main reason I won't be offering frags at club auctions. I would not want to inadvertantly give someone a pest that I didn't know I had and get flamed. I love this forum and the club but people need to remember that a lot of people are here to learn and are not experts. What is "unusable" to one person may be and acceptable trade off in quality vs price to another. Yes - I agree attempting to properly decribe you FS item is necessary. I would not condone selling a leaking tank without telling the buyer. I have bought items that I later was disappointed in or had buyers remorse - but I chaulk it up as a learning experience. I remind myself of the money I have saved with my other purchases. This is an expensive hobby and if it wasn't for the availability of lower priced used items - I would still have a Betta in a bowl. Sorry - I hope I haven't started a flame-a-thon. I just had to vent.
Old 01/03/2008, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

One would think the stand and canopy are worth far more than that. *shrug*
Old 01/03/2008, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

justiceprevails was selling a tank and I inspected it for like an hour at his house.
I found 1 little scratch and walked away. But he sold it the next day. Nothing is written in stone, if you go to purchase something.. inspect it! you dont like it or doubt it, walk away. someone else will buy it and not mind the imperfections.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:20 PM
RC Mod

Closed at the thread starter's request.